Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stella 10000 spool capacity and gday
February 21, 2008, 12:48:44 PM
Hi everyone, first post.  Name is Travis and i'm based up here in central queensland.  I do a fair range of fishing - from the 6lb gear out of the kayak to some bashing around the islands in the stinkboat.  Never before though had I thought I could get into chasing such big fish using ridiculously expensive gear...until I started reading posts on this bloody site  ;)  I don't want to get into GT fishing...I need to!

It all started when I started looking at some heavier gear for a trip I have planned to hinchinbrook soon.  I figured the stradic 6000 with 50lb tuf line xp would suffice but it appears not.  So, with finger pointing directly at all of you on here that are so enthusiastic, i feel I need a stella FA10000 and a tcurve gt special.  From my reading I think this is a decent combo to start me out!

Question is what sort of length of say tuf line xp 80lb could I get onto that spool?  Will it be sufficient? 

Also I can get myself one of these reels for around the $AUS650-675 mark, is this good or does anyone else have some cheap (and good) internet dealers they can point me to (PM is fine).  Also the rod - best place to pick one up?

Thanks in advance for your help and looking forward to getting amongst it!

SB

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Stella 10000 spool capacity and gday
February 21, 2008, 01:01:36 PM
welcome to the site, Travis. When you have a moment, it would be great if you could amend your user name to your real name. We request that on this forum as we feel it adds to the integrity of the posters and the forum - and it's a littl emore personal to boot!  :D

If you're planning on getting into heavy GT fishing, then yes, it is unlikely that the Stradic 6000 and 50lb braid will suffice. There probably are areas where you could extract a decent fish on that tackle but much of the areas which GTs inhabit off the Queensland coastline are decidedly unfriendly. In addition, there are many of us who believe that much heavier lines are the way to go as it gives you the ability to land a fish quickly and before it is completely exhausted. that way, we give the fish the best chance of survival.

A Stella 10000FA and a Shimano GT rod would be a great outfit. If you intend to fish 80lb TF XP, you will get about 170m onto a 10000 spool which is sufficient (just). This will give you a fighting chance against a decent GT. Personally (and other can feel free to disagree), however, I'd recommend 100lb line but the problem with this is you start to get a little underdone with a standard 10000 spool. For 100lb braid (assuming TF XP), you'd probably be better off with a 16000 spool or a Yumeya 10000D spool (unfortunately, very pricey). Your other option is to go for a premium Japanese line like Varivas GT where for the same diameter (PE8), it'd be 100lb.

A price of $650 to $675 is amazingly good. The current Stella FA will be superseded in a matter of months but the new model will be much more expensive and you can buy the current 10000FA with full confidence that it will do the job well.

Good luck - if you do manage to land a big GT on this gear from a kayak, we'd love to know!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Stella 10000 spool capacity and gday
February 21, 2008, 01:48:27 PM
Changed my name there Brendan - didn't read that rule on the way in  :).

Basically this is why the internet should be banned at work...because you come home at the end of the day having just spent more than you earnt. 

One Stella 10000 purchased :)  I went the 10000 because if you think it will be sufficient than its more than enough for me.