Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I'm looking for suggestions on ways to organise poppers, stickbaits & hard bodied lures with trebles attached, particularly travelling to & from the fishing grounds, in trailer boats where room is limited.

The rolls don't seem satisfactory to me. They are fine when single (or double) hooks are used but not so good when there are trebles.

At the moment I use a bucket and suspend them on the outside from the rear hooks, or from the inside when travelling. Still leads to tangles.

The plastic treble guards are fine but they still tangle. They also may stop the trebles drying out encouraging rust and making them hard to hose off after use. I have tried using rubber bands to keep the trebles close to the body and stop movement but it leaves sticking out to catch line or other lures.

There must be a foolproof way to stop them tangling.

Most of the examples of the rolls I find on the net don't have hooks on.

Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Bernie - I have never found a way to do this and always transport lures without hooks as the tangles drive me nuts.

In the end it takes less than a minute to put the hooks on and I think that is a small price to pay for not having to deal with a mass of tangled lures. To save time, I keep all of my trebles stored with split rings already fitted on them.
Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:03:10 PM by Mark Harris

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
For trips away - I use a basic 1 compartment clear plastic container with hinge lid, from memory KMart or similar.  Probably 45 cm long, 25cm wide and 15cm deep.  Arrange lures inside, from a volume POV you can fit a heap in and arrange neatly enough, biggest ones in first.  Lures with hooks fitted do get tangled a bit but this can be minimised by spare trebles going into another storage vessel.  I always overpack, haven't got this down to a precise artform...

Cheers Dave

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Bernie - I have never found a way to do this and always transport lures without hooks as the tangles drive me nuts.

In the end it takes less than a minute to put the hooks on and I think that is a small price to pay for not having to deal with a mass of tangled lures. To save time, I keep all of my trebles stored with split rings already fitted on them.

Agree with Mark, keep all my poppers in washable day bags (like the orange ones nomad sell or the hammerhead popper roll) and put the hooks on as needed.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Problem with trebles they are meant to catch, snag and hook things :P

I take them off too, and especially the expensive ones i will store seperately with a shot of inox.
Set the ray to GeeT

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I use this back for Jerkbaits, and i have tested with GT3. They fit in 150 grams with no problem.

I know they are made from different brands, so it should be possible to find something like that, or build one on your own
Greetings
Simon

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I use this back for Jerkbaits, and i have tested with GT3. They fit in 150 grams with no problem.
Edit:    Piccy removed (everyone can see it above) :)
I know they are made from different brands, so it should be possible to find something like that, or build one on your own
Thanks Simon.
I had actually started searching for things like this and although came across a few they all have their downsides.
There is one of the same type as yours with clear tubes but most of them are too small, but it got me thinking &  I took that a step further and started to look at polly pipe.

A Dogtooth 150 with 4/0 trebles fits snugly in a 65mm polly pipe :)
Most bibbed hardbodies fit in either 65mm or 50mm pipe :)

I have come up with a prototype which will hold 24 lures inluding Dogtooth. The cubera are a bit big so will probably have to take off the belly hooks but I think it will work OK

Its a bit bulky but will live happily in the side pocket of the boat. I will post some piccies when I get it assembled properly.
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
+1 for the hPA popper roll - takes large lures with hooks and keeps them untangled!

Nicolas Lim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
+2 for the hPa popper roll. With a couple of Owner hook shields, prevents your lures from being scratch up while transported. Each compartment is well ventilated with mesh on either end of the popper compartment. You can wash the entire bag very quickly or even dunk it in the bath tub after a trip.