Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GT Lures
February 21, 2008, 01:52:41 PM
Just from looking at pictures I can see they have to be bloody tough but what exactly are they made from?  How are the swivels inserted in the end - there's obviously a full through wire in there right?

Are they usually wood or a polyurethane material?  I currently make some of my own lures so I figure i'd have a go at a GT Popper/stick.  Anyone had one demolished and pulled it apart to see inside?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: GT Lures
February 21, 2008, 02:19:23 PM
the most qualified person here to speak on lure construction is Chris Young. He might perhaps provide a few pearls of wisdom
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 21, 2008, 08:29:39 PM
G'day travis
Welcome aboard mate !
GT lures in a nutshell,  I think most (if not all ) of the Quallity Japanese lures are made of wood & most of them have a through wire system with a swivel hanging on the wire in the belly. I construct my lures in the same way. If you do start to make your own lures you will no doubt understand why the premium lures cost soooo much, it is very labour intensive. Good luck & don't forget to post some photo's of your creations, They will all catch fish if they are hungry  ;D

Cheers Chris 

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2008, 09:07:53 PM
Hi Chris,
I'm the world's worst tradesman but am curious.....

What type(s) of wood are the premium lures made from?

Are poppers constructed from 1 piece or 2 halves subsequently glued together, I'm guessing the former but don't know for sure.

I, as I am sure many here, would be dead keen to support a local lure maker, where can I view/purchase your lures?

best wishes,
Andrew

G'day travis
Welcome aboard mate !
GT lures in a nutshell,  I think most (if not all ) of the Quallity Japanese lures are made of wood & most of them have a through wire system with a swivel hanging on the wire in the belly. I construct my lures in the same way. If you do start to make your own lures you will no doubt understand why the premium lures cost soooo much, it is very labour intensive. Good luck & don't forget to post some photo's of your creations, They will all catch fish if they are hungry  ;D

Cheers Chris 

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 21, 2008, 10:05:58 PM
Hi Andrew
Wood- The only one I can say for sure is Fisherman, they use Kumano pine (It's stated on their website) ,Hammerhead also appear to be a pine of some sort . I've got no idea what carpenter or craftbait use , (wish I knew ;))
My poppers are one piece construction , I can't speak for the others but they appear to be 1 piece.
Stick baits on the other hand are about 50/50.
My lures are not available anywhere atm as they are still in development stage, the only person that has access to them is Brandon & anyone he see's fit to hand them to. when I am happy with the quality & can prove that they catch fish & still look pretty they will be made available to purchase. I hope you can understand I want to make a high quality product to give the Japanese products a nudge, please be patient. they won't be too far away. ;)
Cheers Chris 

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 22, 2008, 12:32:30 AM
Chris,
from a marketing perspective, your strategy is the right one.  Best of luck to you.  Maybe Brandon will let me try one at Bugatti in April.

Andrew

Hi Andrew
Wood- The only one I can say for sure is Fisherman, they use Kumano pine (It's stated on their website) ,Hammerhead also appear to be a pine of some sort . I've got no idea what carpenter or craftbait use , (wish I knew ;))
My poppers are one piece construction , I can't speak for the others but they appear to be 1 piece.
Stick baits on the other hand are about 50/50.
My lures are not available anywhere atm as they are still in development stage, the only person that has access to them is Brandon & anyone he see's fit to hand them to. when I am happy with the quality & can prove that they catch fish & still look pretty they will be made available to purchase. I hope you can understand I want to make a high quality product to give the Japanese products a nudge, please be patient. they won't be too far away. ;)
Cheers Chris 

David Clumpner

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 22, 2008, 11:25:06 PM
Quick question while you're talking lures:
What should I use to repair a lure?  I beat up my E-Cup on some rocks and there's some exposed wood I'd like to get sealed back up.  Is silicone the answer?

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2008, 08:42:01 AM
Hi David
Bashing the Hammerhead against the rocks ,that must of hurt :'(. You could try silicone, it will work but will also be messy & difficult to use, probably need something thinner to get into small marks etc . I would recomend you use a UV knot sealer , its thin enough to get in , gives you plenty of time to clean up unwanted spills, won't discolor with age & stay's slightly flexable so it won't fall out. You can also use it to build up layers in deep marks .

Cheers Chris