Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Patriot D. Fire Vortex
March 31, 2012, 02:06:38 PM
Aloha guys,

Anyone here have any feedback on these rods. I may have the opportunity to get one at a good price, but i'm on a tight budget and dont want to just throw money around.
I'm looking for a rod to fish violently with locked down drags. 150lb mainline straight to a 250lb leader. This rod will be a replacement for the BG Jack that i broke last month. Does anyone have any good comparison note between the BG Jack and the Fire Vortex?
Thanks guys for any input.

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Patriot D. Fire Vortex
March 31, 2012, 02:14:34 PM

Nathan, do you want to go water skiing ;D
My only advice would be to put a reel on it and at least try to put a bend in it first.

The PD Black Mafia is a very powerful rod, but the Fire Vortex is a whole new level of pain....
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 02:29:41 PM
LOL @ Ken

This is a very old fashioned rod IMHO Nathan but if you really want to fish locked drags and 150 lb line maybe your choice is a bit limited to this type of broomstick  :).

The GT rod world has moved on so far from these incredibly stiff type of rods.  There are a lot of 50 kg+ and indeed 60 kg+ GTs landed using much more friendly rods and 90-120 lb line.

Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:28:49 PM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 02:34:01 PM
Nathan, the only reason I am not saying " don't kid yourself" is because you can obviously handle a BG Jack. The BG Jack is a brute but the Fire Vortex is even stronger than the BG Jack. I regard it as the strongest GT rod made, even stronger down low than the Fisherman R10 77L. You're in Hawaii, aren't you? Pat Victorino used to own one so you could have a word with him.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2012, 04:10:23 PM

;D ;D ;D
Set the ray to GeeT

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
April 01, 2012, 10:13:51 AM

My only advice would be to put a reel on it and at least try to put a bend in it first.

The PD Black Mafia is a very powerful rod, but the Fire Vortex is a whole new level of pain....

lol ;D ;D Ask him if he uses a fighting belt! Nate likes to use rods as a form of birth control.

Is this why you need a fire vortex? :o

Nice reel by the way, doesn't look like a van staal
Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:15:47 AM by Charles Cintron
GT FIGHT CLUB

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 01, 2012, 03:35:43 PM
Nathan,

You sound like you know exactly what you want, load that reel with 150lb to your 250lb leader, strap it onto that Fire Vortex broomstick, tie on that I cup, lock that drag down and hang on. If i was young and fit again I'd want to give this a try too ;), hell you only live once.

Love the attitude, and I want to be on that boat with you when you fish this combo to its "violent" climax.

Unfortunately I can't give you any feedback on this rod but Brandons word on it should be sufficient indication.

Aloha guys,

Anyone here have any feedback on these rods. I may have the opportunity to get one at a good price, but i'm on a tight budget and dont want to just throw money around.
I'm looking for a rod to fish violently with locked down drags. 150lb mainline straight to a 250lb leader. This rod will be a replacement for the BG Jack that i broke last month. Does anyone have any good comparison note between the BG Jack and the Fire Vortex?
Thanks guys for any input.
Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:39:30 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 01, 2012, 06:14:25 PM
What about a seven seas atomic sword 705xx seven and a bit foot long designed for 100kg plus tuna that fight under the boat but double the price and then some of the PD as well as build time. Glad to see you don't use a belt either, go heavy or go home :-)

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 01, 2012, 07:36:38 PM
Made by the same bloke.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 01, 2012, 08:30:39 PM
When you see a video of Matsutani fishing you sort of see why he designs these brutal rods. He is a brutal angler.

One of his Tanzania videos is very funny. You see him casting so violently the rod flies out of his hands into the sea. Then his is jigging so ridiculously fast, his Expedition came off the rod.  No one piece of subtlety in the whole video. He rips a stickbait harder than I do a medium sized chugger  ::).

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 01, 2012, 09:51:32 PM
Priceless photo btw!

lol ;D ;D Ask him if he uses a fighting belt! Nate likes to use rods as a form of birth control.

Is this why you need a fire vortex? :o

Nice reel by the way, doesn't look like a van staal
Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:09:08 PM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 03, 2012, 01:05:17 PM
Thanks for the input guys (except you Charlie, i'll deal with you next week in Waiokini and Kaalualu),

It's not so much that i want to buy a Fire Vortex, but one may be available locally at a good price, and i need a heavy duty stick for the rest of the summer. One of the biggest problems with getting gear in Hawaii, is that there are NO tackle shops that stock high end plugging equipment. We cannot go to the store and give all the different rods the shake down in person. This makes finding the right rod tough, because ordering blindly off the internet is a crap shoot, especially when your budget is really small. Also there is only a super tiny amount of fishermen here in hawaii that plug GT off boats, so it's even quite rare to see a good quality used rod pop up for sale.
Most of the time i build my own rods, but i cannot find any blanks suited for 150lb line.

Anybody willing to sell a used Ripple Fisher 78XH and ship to Kona, haha!

As Charlie pointed out, no fighting belts for me. I figure the nut-sac gimbal approach will lessen the chances of getting my girlfriend pregnant, which = more time for fishing and zero time changing diapers. Is that Math???

Thanks again guys!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2012, 01:22:41 PM
Interesting method of birth control Nathan :).

On the Ripple Fisher 78XH, there have been a couple for sale here in the forum but not sure if they are now sold. Worth doing a search I think. You might also want to look around for a 2nd hand Wild Violence 80XH which although not as stiff as the PD rods, will handle the line class I think.

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 03, 2012, 03:52:55 PM
As Charlie pointed out, no fighting belts for me. I figure the nut-sac gimbal approach will lessen the chances of getting my girlfriend pregnant, which = more time for fishing and zero time changing diapers. Is that Math???

Thanks again guys!

I believe the conventional way to get this sort of thrill is with whips & spurs, but you either have to pay or join a club..... :-[
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Mark Gonsalves

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 03, 2012, 04:07:21 PM
If the PD Black Diamond is any indication, the Fire Vortex should stop a freight train.  I am fishing about 29lbs of drag and can say that a 50lb will get his head turned without too much effort, even from a small guy like me. When I lock down the drag, a 50lb gets turned around.  I don't do this on the initial hit.  Any heavier drag than 30lbs has gotten me yanked all over the pier that I fish at and I've almost gone into the water twice. One thing is the ferrule fit is too snug and I have had a hard time breaking the rod down on several occasions.  Otherwise,  I like the rod. 

That Atomic Sword looks too beautiful to fish with,..........but, I would if I could afford it.