wes_jones

assist hook for jigging doggies
April 06, 2012, 01:54:04 PM
hey guys

pritty new to the site, but off to fiji next year so just trying to get my head around a few things, pritty keen to tangle up with a solid dogtooth and just wondering about wether u guys run wire assists instead of the norm to compencate with the teeth situation or is it not as bad as im thinking??. have jigged plenty of good sambos and big kings here in south aus but this one just got me a little stumped.

also have heard that smaller jigs can be better for doggies and what are some better couler jigs??

any help would be much appreciated

Cheers Wes

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: assist hook for jigging doggies
April 06, 2012, 02:26:25 PM
I have pretty much given up jigging for Doggies but used to quite often.
On the assists I would advise against wire. The whole theory of an assist hook is that it hangs loosely and moves easily into the fish mouth when it opens and a vacuum, suction effect is created. Wire is just too stiff and I think you will find you keep missing hookups.  If you must have a metal assist, then chain linked split rings are more effective than wire in my experience, but still not great.

I used to stick mostly to kevlar and just accept that sometimes you will lose a fish due to the cord being bitten through.  You will definitely find you get better hookups with kevlar assists.  You have to balance that against the less efficient but bite-resistant metal options.

On jig types, I have caught baby Doggies on massive 700 gram spears and large Doggies on little 300 gram centre weights. As with any jigging, the optimum jig type depends a lot on the mood of the fish, but Doggies are notably not very fussy in my experience.

wes_jones

April 06, 2012, 04:44:28 PM
appreciate the info mark cheers!

Jeffry Chai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2012, 11:38:50 AM
Mostly I use kevlar for my assist n haven't fail me yet, unless wahoo or barracuda. If you not confident with kevlar you might try ZYLON.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 06, 2012, 10:50:57 AM
I guess many will disagree, but I think Doggies are hardly be a reason of cut kevlar assist. Their teeth are of cone shape without sharp edges - not like teeth of sharkes or barracudas. The onle sharp place is a point of a cone, but the posibility of getting assist to the cone point is almost zero. When the assist is cut and the fish is gone, we always tend to think that we lost big doggy, because we want it. But I think it is sharks or barracudas to blame...

Michael de Min

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 04, 2012, 10:29:50 PM
@ Dmitrii I agree with you there. On the note of the suction bringing in the assist hook in to the fishes mouth, I have been using a rubber band to hold the hook in place, and have had about a 30% higher hook up rate. 

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 07, 2013, 06:46:29 PM
Can anyone tell me what Varivas SS Assistline is made out of???Ta.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 07, 2013, 07:19:47 PM
Kevlar.

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 08, 2013, 03:18:42 PM
Thanks Mark,
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 23, 2013, 02:02:06 PM
Hi Neville,

Above Kevlar is Zylon, more bite resistant still.

Cheers David