Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have always been of the opinion that the best time to target GTs in general on poppers (not just the biggest) is during the full moon period when there is a big difference between the high and the low of the tide.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/opinions or anything else that may be contributing factors?

Looking forward to others comments.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I think we're both very much agreed on this factor. GTs seem to like big tidal movements. Conversely, on smaller tides, they sometimes tend to follow without striking or strike in a half-hearted manner
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I agree with the moon phase/tidal run theory [no run no fun] as peak fishing times but bring a contradiction into it. I find best times are at 'slack water' at the tide change, be it estuary or blue water.
 Examples of this are jigging 140mt over a wreck with Kingies showing at 60-70mt, we jigged for 4hrs but only hooked up in a twenty minute period on high tide. Same as our favorite pinnacle in 50-70mt, some will drift baits for hours with mixed reef but the jigging fires [even one sitting in the rod hoder] on the tide change with big Snapper, Tunas and the AJ's etc. I have also had some nice Golden Trevs lately flicking SP around the high tide change in the estuarys :) but no luck on low tide. :(
 If the weather gods are good to us and it's between moon phases I'll target an area 1hr before and after a tide change [pref high]. The same applies to trolling for game fish.
 Dusk and Dawn !! allways good. ;D
 These are my thoughts only and won' be held responsable for fish not caught but will accept any praise if it works. ::)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I find that really interesting as I have generally had little luck at the top or bottom of the tide. I've found that the fish seem to bite when there is some movement in the water , say a couple of hours from maximum and minimum.

of course, we may not be comparing apples with apples. As everyone who knows me will testify, I'll do anything to avoid jigging at 140m - unless the jig only weights 200g!!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Not knowing exactly when the slack of the tide is, being 20+ miles out to sea and 50+mt deep, is why either side of the published tide time seems best. In game fishing we will troll arond looking for scatted bait schools which ball up and come to the surface [with the help of our target species] at tide changes. That is the best time to live bait or troll arond the bait balls.
 On reef structures the smaller species come out scavaging when the tidal currant drops off and the big boys are waiting for them.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
I find that really interesting as I have generally had little luck at the top or bottom of the tide. I've found that the fish seem to bite when there is some movement in the water , say a couple of hours from maximum and minimum.

of course, we may not be comparing apples with apples. As everyone who knows me will testify, I'll do anything to avoid jigging at 140m - unless the jig only weights 200g!!
Guys, that is an interesting one with a fair variety of opinion.
One thing I know for sure, If the full tide is an 2 hours before sunset and the full moon is 2 to 3 days away the GTs go absolutely nuts at my spots an hour before and after the full tide. Have NEVER failed with this set of circumstances.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Sachin - I want to go fish where you are!!

Guys, that is an interesting one with a fair variety of opinion.
One thing I know for sure, If the full tide is an 2 hours before sunset and the full moon is 2 to 3 days away the GTs go absolutely nuts at my spots an hour before and after the full tide. Have NEVER failed with this set of circumstances.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
From the research I've done, most guys over in WA seem to be targeting them on a New Moon. This time also has lots of tidal movement. I've heard people report GT's going off the bite when a full moon comes out (at night).

Wong Kai Zhee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
lots of mysteries about the moon, ppl turning into wloves, its relationship to crime rate.

since the tide movement are both big during full/new moon, anyone actually experienced any different in the way fish behave?

this is where i check for moon phase:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/moonphase/march08.html

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
My experience over many years is that different types of fish react differently to the big tides. Generally, the predators, particularly the bigger fish, become more aggressive but the smaller more cautious types of fish like bream become even more cautious than usual