Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fighting belt
April 17, 2012, 12:44:23 AM
Hi guys

there are so many kinds of belt in the market, 7seas, hots, gt max, mc works etc.

what kind of belt are u using and why ?

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Fighting belt
April 17, 2012, 07:13:28 AM
Jigging Master compact belt with just the plain cup and no pin. It's light and comfortable to wear all day, I don't have rods with gimble butts anymore so no need for a pin.
I like the simplicity of them also, 1 strap, 1 plate. There are some out there that look like you'd need a deckie to help you into it!

Most important thing to consider is where you like to have the rod butt when your fighting a fish, low/high/on the side etc.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 17, 2012, 08:26:06 AM
Belts are a really individual thing and the only way to find out which one you like best is to try a number of different ones. I would suggest to you that functionality is more important that looks. Things to look for and consider include:

How you like to wear a belt (as Warwick says)
The depth of the gimbal - this can have quite a bearing on whether the butt can slip out or not mid-fight
Ease of getting the butt into the gimbal - i see more fish lost this way than any other
Comfort when fighting a fish - some of the really small gimbals look great but aren't that comfortable

At the end of the day, only you can really decide what suits you. I use a Fisherman flat harness myself as I find that the best overall compromise for what I want from a gimbal

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 17, 2012, 09:08:42 AM
As Brandon mentioned, the Fisherman Hard Harness is exemplary, arguably, the best on the market.

marinco koj

April 17, 2012, 08:15:57 PM
I love the HOTS gimbal with the pin that you can take out or leave in. It's small and compact and very comfortable !

mk

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 17, 2012, 08:35:05 PM
Having been a fan of moulded belts and the Sevenseas in particular, I am changing my mind. Been using the newer of the Hots small plate gimbal (the one with the enlarged cup - the original version was too tight) and enjoying the lightness of it a lot.

I think I will be buying one of those or something similar very soon.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 17, 2012, 09:18:33 PM
Tested 3 belts fighting Gts in NC.
Sevenseas GT Belt, Fisherman Flat Harness and Hots Lt.Metal Lightbelt Type-2. In my opinion (body shape and fighting style), I prefer Hots due to its deep cup design (after pulling out the pin).

Also Hots and Fisherman take less space in luggage. If fighting style is sideway, where the belt is resting on the thigh, Sevenseas is more comfortable. Plus during jigging, i prefer Sevenseas coz during lines-up, i just rest the rod butt into the side cup and reeling jig with rod pointing up. Very easy and not tiring even though using 400g jig.

Still searching for Carpenter's Belt. The most expensive fighting belt!!!!

Juz my 2 cents.

Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 17, 2012, 10:13:02 PM
thanks all for your precious contribution.

so far no comments heard of MC Works belt.

Can seems to locate carpenter's in the market as well.... Wan, u said expensive, how much is the range ?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 17, 2012, 10:57:58 PM
Can seems to locate carpenter's in the market as well.... Wan, u said expensive, how much is the range ?

Has anyone ever seen one of these in real life?  I found a picture which I saved a while ago as I thought it looked like a great little belt. And wonderfully Carpenter - so under-stated!  I suspect they were made in tiny quantities.

Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:08:54 PM by Mark Harris

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 17, 2012, 11:16:35 PM

Has anyone ever seen one of these in real life?  I found a picture which I saved a while ago as I thought it looked like a great little belt. And wonderfully Carpenter - so under-stated!  I suspect they were made in tiny quantities.

from proshop mogi: 26,250 JPY and 33,600 JPY...... :'( :'( :'( :'(

Kelvin Lai

April 18, 2012, 02:01:19 AM

Have seen them for sale on X-pedition Tackle website............ for around SGD$500,
not sure if they are still available though.............

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 18, 2012, 06:45:50 AM
i've got a few friends using them. They've a very effective belt in that they sit well and the rod butt, once in the gimbal, is unlikely to slip out due to the deep recess. The only thing is they're a bit fussy to put on. They are only ever made in very small quantities
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mads Soendergaard

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 19, 2012, 02:27:17 AM
MC Works TT belt, the best you can find. It shapes well after your legs when you use it to pump the fish to the boat. Best of all, try saying TT fast...

Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 23, 2012, 09:14:51 AM
OMB (oh my buddha) !!! 500 sgd !!! its about half the price of a carpenter rod....

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 04, 2012, 08:35:29 PM
for a cheaper option take a look at this site http://www.braidproducts.com/
very popular here in the UK