Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Best rod for dogtooth in under 100m
April 18, 2012, 09:51:57 PM
Just to confirm from my previous reply.......that was sharks up to 100kg.......the doggies we ran into were much smaller! 

As suggested Chris, by many others, any doggie over about 20 kg in that depth is going to kick your a$#e on pe6, and will still put a fair dint in your jig collection on pe8 or pe10!

I'm not going to enter the debate on the merits of jigging for doggies or not, but if that is what you want to do, my advice is 'gun for elephant' .......and hope you don't find it!

I'd highly recommend a rod with a two stage blank though - to allow you to work the smaller jigs when conditions allow.  It's more likely to see some use outside of doggie jigging too!

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 19, 2012, 06:22:27 AM
Just giving options Brandon........

Specs for the rod is PE6 - PE10 by memory. As Christoffer mentioned he'll what to try and acquire a rod straight up instead of upgrading later, this could be for his consideration amongst others, just options for use for any deeper water use as well later.

Hi Mark, yes it seems like a brutal rod and maybe what Peter advises a huge doggie would still make a mess with jig collection even at that 100 mtrs depth  :o.

Regards

Leo

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 19, 2012, 08:23:43 AM
Stopping any fish in record time is a matter of how much hurt you can put on them. Assuming you have the right gear that takes muscle. How much muscle have you got? You're talking about a brawl here cos a dogtooth is a brawler.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 19, 2012, 10:01:01 AM
The oh 55xhs is a broomstick with grips n guides on it. I'm after a rod in the 250-400 max range I don't think itll impart much action on these jigs. Best rod in it's class is what I'm after n sounds like mc works is it.  What reel would go better a 20000sw or 8000pg with jm16000 spool n jm longer handle?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 19, 2012, 10:55:22 AM
The OH55 is only a bream rod compared to a Zenaq Monster Buster for iron man!
The Southern Blue is very light (in weight). I suggest the smaller reel might result in a better all-round balance
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 19, 2012, 11:28:30 AM
 ;D  @ Zenaq Monster Buster.

Chris, I use my SB 556 with either reel set up.  I don't spend anything like as much time jigging as I used to, and for that reason I probably stick a 20000 on it more often than not. If I was jigging a lot though, I would probably think an 8000/10000 reel size to be the better pairing.

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 19, 2012, 02:28:34 PM
Would second the mc works choise too. SB556 and SB516 are both beautiful rods. Have matched my SB516 with the SW8000pg and its fine but it feels more at home with the SW20000 on it. Its my go too "big gun" setup. You will be stoked with these rods!

Dave Creffield

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 24, 2012, 10:51:46 AM
Chriso,

PE6 BlueRose mate. Has done the job for me for years, caught plenty of big doggies, light and easy to use, awesome action on jigs up to 500gm. I have a spare one, buy the reel and try it. Go the SW20000 as you already have a smaller outfit for a bit of fun. I have a Smith Freemantle if you are real keen to try it. Just my 2cents.

Creffo.
C'mon... Just one more cast!!!

Jeffry Chai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2012, 11:24:56 AM
My choice for 250-400g jig would be Synit Kaha 400 or the Seriola series, very comfortable to jig with n still got heap of power to stop monster doggie.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 06, 2012, 10:38:58 AM
Hi guys,
I tried Shimano BlueRose (max PE8) class. It is really light and easy to handle, but it is week and too soft, by my opinion. I experienced many mishookings using this rod and assumed that the main reason was extreme softness of the rod tip. In addition to that my friend broke 2 these rods in Northern Mariana in 2008 lifting doggy less than 25kg and a shark of about the same size. After that I forgot about this model.
I was looking for stronger rod for dogtooth but still light one. I stopped on Smith Nirai, but I did not like it after all. It is not as soft as Blue Rose, but it does not have power in the blank. When a fish (even not big one) is hooked, Nirai just bends down fron the grip and does not want to get up the fish. The lifting power is very poor for its weight and specifications. I got many decent fishes gone to bottom with Nirai.

After that I came to thinking that I need longer rod (58-59ft) for doggies and very proven one. I tried SevenSeas and PD.
Sevenseas is a really good staff for doggies (especially Northern Mariana Dogtooth 100), but they are bulky, very expensive and so hard on your body! After hook up seconds seem to be eternity....
I also tried Patriot Design rods and liked them most of all. Kevlar series is very powerfull and much more forgiving for an angler than SevenSeas. Carbon series is cheaper and lighter. I tried several models and I think that in case you are looking for PE6 rod up to 400g you should pay attention to Grand Imperial Ultra 59 (or Diamond) or Carbon VX400/57 model. Both have lifting power and strength enough for doggies about 50kg+.  If you are looking for a rod which won't need to upgrade, PD can be really your choice.

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 07, 2012, 12:32:52 PM
Classic  :)
"After hook up seconds seem to be eternity...."

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2012, 06:48:41 PM
Mogi Special Maori Spirits??

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 07, 2012, 09:16:01 PM
Interesting reply Dimitri.

It is not very often that:

1. you hear too many bad things about a Smith Nirai
2. you hear too many good things about Patriot Design jigging rods

You have managed both there!! It is good to get some well reasoned opinions that are contrary to the norm :)

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2012, 10:32:14 PM
Hi dimitri,
Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering whether there was anyone using the patriots as I haven't read anything about them.
They are very flash rods I had a look at a few in fishhead, they are a bit heavier than the rod I'm chasin though for jigging. I'll definitely
Be adding one of their popping rods to the arsenal in the future but! I read somewhere the fire vortex was very user friendly.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 07, 2012, 10:39:03 PM
Hi Mark,
I just said what I feel about above said rods - nothing personal.
I think every rod model has its adventages and disadvantages for this or that user, this or that fishing situation, which is the case of Smith rods and PD rods. Yes, I know that many people like Smith Nirai. I also liked it when I took it and bent it. But I was dissapointed using it.
As for Patriot Design, this maker seems to be obsessed with power idea and some models (like Vortex) can be handled only by sumo fighters, but the line up of their jigging rods is wide and versatile, and there is really good staff there.