Al Morrison

Robert, a bit late in replying, but i have also found pencil poppers useful there for some of the reasons mentioned earlier - they cast a LONG way, and also can still be worked behind a moving boat a lot better than chuggers. I use an LR 88 and also a Tenryu 9ft 6 inch PE 5-6 rod for the them. Another fave lure there is the goold old Yozuri Bull - yet again casts a long way on PE 5 and can be worked easily while a boat moves along a reef edge (have had sailfish hit them there). Decisions to be made on catching lots of fish vs GT's or only large GT's. The place can yield a lot of smallish fish. Also it is worth trying chuggers over the top of some of the small deep reefs, by that i mean small bommies whose tops are 25-30m beneath the surface. Have the boat circle them once. The maldives has it all, deep drop offs, shallow reefs, calm lagoon type areas. Hope that little helps. I reckon an EP 85 or a LR 88 would be an ideal rod for there if you decide to not bother with big chuggers.

One of the skippers i have fished with actually uses an 11ft Beachcaster as his popping rod with about  pe 8, it looked brutal to play a fish on, but certainly belted out lures a long way and covered a lot of water.

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi guys!
Today i tested my first PR knot - success! :)
Also tested Full Scale 180 popper - very nice, then Adhek Goby - with that i got this GT.
Lost my wahoo 100, got reefed by something bigger, was not prepared for that! :(

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Well done Robert  :).  The  colour of the Long Goby in your picture is my personal favourite for that lure.

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I just came back from Maldives 2 weeks ago. Yes, casting distance very impt becoz we were fishing on a 75footer boat so she has to keep a safe distance. If u are fishing on a small boat then no problem. Max PE8 was used. I was using a PE4-6 and even Blue Sniper PE2-4. Biggest GT landed on our trip was 18kg and mostly 5-12kg. Dunno why the mamas are not there. Lures that we use were Yambal GT Harrier, Tailwalk Gunz and Maria Loaded being the most productive. 95% of the catch were on stickbait floating and sinking. I can't comment much on chugger over there as most of the time everyone was using stickbait. The motherboat is constantly moving when the anglers is casting and I do find it moving quite fast. U launch out the chugger, prolly chug 5-7 times and ur lure is already behind the boat and out of the zone. We were not using the sweep actions on the stickbait. More like horizontal jigging, constantly twitching and cranking. U ll have more fun on light tackle.

Today I tried poppers and some floating stick baits. No success!

The best was River2Sea sinking stick bait (River2sea Wideglide 200)... Have a look at the photo. Its great! I really like it! And its cheap! :)

Im usually on a smal boat, so distance is not such a big problem for me.
Today I realized that i need to get a better reel, as this 18kg fish was puling my line out with max drag on my Saragosa 18k...

Great day and my report continues!

Thanks,
Robert
Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:48:12 PM by roberts kurpnieks

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Yesterday was a great fishing day... They were so hungry... :)
I lost two big fish and now i have to learn how to avoid that...

Some questions:
What kind of swivels do you use for stick baits and popers?
What kind of knot do you use to connect leader to a swivel?

What kind of leader would you reccomend for me?

Few days ago I told that River2Sea is very nice lure, but I changed my mind after yesterday.
Have a look...

Time to do some shopping.

Thanks,
Robert

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Robert

I am afraid failures like that will happen with cheap lures and it's precisely why many GT anglers will not use them.  Such problems can of course occur with any lure, but it is less likely with the higher quality options.

You will by the way never, ever avoid losing big fish. It happens to absolutely everyone and if you hear otherwise, don't believe it.

Also, looking at that lure you really should be taking the barbs off your trebles - it is much better for the fish.  Just pinch them down with pliers.

On your questions about set up:
1. What kind of swivels do you use for stick baits and popers? - NT swivels size 2/0 or 3/0.

2. What kind of knot do you use to connect leader to a swivel? - a 4 turn uni-knot

3. What kind of leader would you reccomend for me?
  - assuming you are using PE8 mainline or thereabouts, a nice supple shock leader in the 150-200lbs range. I prefer YGK Galis and Varivas.

Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:51:27 AM by Mark Harris

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hello guys!

I have been spending last few days fishing. For the first time i have tested my reel to the limit! Got some nice GTs and good workout! :)

I have realized that i MUST upgrade my Saragosa 18k to Stella 10k with some after market spool or Stella 1 8k... If anyone has some used, i might start with a secondhand... I think i need to do some more posting to see the marketplace in this forum...

Let me know if you have some good offer!

Here you can see some nice fish. One of them straightened one of my owner st76 5/0. I really love my pink full scale popper and wahoo 100 and 125! They seem to be great here in Maldives.

Robert
Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:15:12 PM by roberts kurpnieks

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I am using Jerry Brown Hollow Spectra 80lb Line, YGK Galis Fluoro Carbon Shock Leader 170lb Line. Its just casting so great now, i love the line and leader is also great.

P.S. My dream is to start my own fishing charter here in maldives! I have some investment available, so ill might have many questions soon! If you have some advice you want to share with me, feel free! Im quiet new to this, but i just love it!

Thank you everybody! ;)