Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I want a bigger one
February 13, 2008, 08:27:05 PM
G'day everybody, my name is Jordan and I am fairly new to the whole heavy popping scene. I am living in Cardwell (aka Hinchinbrook) and have been having a ball over the last 6 months catching what you guys seem to refer to as "small" gts in the 15-25kg bracket on the offshore reefs out from hinchinbrook island. The old meter plus barra seems a bit mundane after getting a few of these guys. All the fish we have been landing are all around the same size - give or take 5kg. What I would like to know is do these sort of grounds we have been fishing hold the monster 35-50kg fish that I see from other outer reef trips. I assume they do but the regularity of fish we are catching that are called for between 15 and 20 kilos is making me wonder. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have added a couple of pics from recent trips. If you can't tell from the photos I am addicted

Regards Jordan

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: I want a bigger one
February 13, 2008, 09:32:18 PM
Welcom to the site, Jordan. Your question is an excellent one. Firstly, let me say that we definitely do not regard a 25kg GT as "small". A fish of that size is an excellent fish and an achievement to land. Of course, GTs do grown much larger than that and there is little doubt that the 100kg monsters are out there.

The reality though is that while there are a lot of fish in the 15-20kg size bracket out there, there are lesser number of larger fish and fish over 50kg, while not rare, are certainly more uncommon. I often use the terminology "you don't grow that big if you're stupid" and I think it is very appropriate for big GTs. Small GTs will often do quite suicidal things but larger fish tend to be more cautious in their behaviour. From my experience, I have noted that many of the larger fish tend to be more ambush hunters. That is not to say that big fish are not aggressive - I've seen them do crazy things when the feeding instinct is on but it is rarer to see this behaviour.

I know there is a school of thought, particularly in Hawaii, that the larger fish tend to inhabit deeper waters. I don't have a firm view on this as I don't have the knowledge but I have noticed an inordinate number of big fish are captured jigging. One of the largest fish I have captured myself was taken on a jig at a depth of not much less than 100m.

I don't have the experience in your area but if you have 15 - 25kg fish, I see no reason why there would not be the odd fish that is a lot larger than that around. I'll ask you the question of whether you've been busted off by any fish while popping that was unstoppable. If so, I would wager that was the odd larger fish.

In terms of targeting them specifically, I have not found a method that works effectively. I've tried using very big poppers but the reality is that GTs are very aggressive and I've seen 25kg fish attacking a 5kg live mack tuna meant for a dogtooth. About the only thing I can say is that if you persevere, you will undoubtedly hook the odd larger fish among the GTs. Whether you can land it or not is a different question!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 14, 2008, 05:51:27 PM
Thanks Brandon, your insights into all forum posts are always an enjoyment to read. To date i have not been stiched up amongst the coral but have straightened hooks and watched mates get dusted. Larger GTs or insufficient tackle i am not sure, however I have since beefed up my tackle in anticipation of hooking a horse one day.

cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 14, 2008, 06:08:59 PM
A 20kg fish will straighten even an Owner treble (ST-66) quite easily if you hook it at the wrong angle and it can exert pressure directly on the hook. That said, I would wager that some of the times where your mates have been dusted as being larger fish.

Feefing up your tackle and preparing properly for a bigger fish is the way to go because the last thing you want to do is have regrets when you finally do hook that big fish.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Aaron Concord

February 22, 2008, 12:36:18 PM
Hi Jordan,

I've seen fish around Eva Island that were 35-40kg fish.
The Barrier Reef average is around the 15-18kg mark, though I have seen them(when a break in the weather allowed!) to get out to Eva with "inadequate" gear.....I ended up taking shots with the Nikkor 70-200mm telephoto lens of the GT's hitting the poppers that my mate Ben was "feeding" them in 30lb braid.

Brandon hit it on the head. The sub-30kg GT's tend to like spanking the heck out of the lures with piles of enthusiasim, where the bigger G's can be cagey and there is just less of them.

Keep popping away or "sticking it" to them and you will find bigger fish....look for schools of Fusiliers and work the edges of these top little bait fish. ALL the bigger G's i have seen caught around the bombies in the Great Barrier Reef lurk around these fish.

Also, since the area you are fishing doesn't see as many poppers or stick baits pegged around at GT's and you have less traffic in general, I reckon you will find some stonkers in the shallows. 7 times out of 10 they will beat up anything thrown near them....the other 3 times they are either just disinterested or have seen you and your boat....they don't spook, they just wander off with purpose, cause they ARE the reef bullies from hell!!

Cheers

Aaron.

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 22, 2008, 09:48:34 PM
Cheers Aaron for the tips.

As you said, sticking to the fusilier schools is the key. Our method has been to move from school to school and cast next to or into the rippling fusiliers. A certain edge of the reef we fish (Otter) always seems to hold large schools of these GT morsels. We have found if you don't get a strike in the first ten to fifteen casts it is time to move on to the next school. There also seems to be no point in casting to the same school if someone has had a strike.

I must admit that we have not been too conscious of the possibility that our boat may be spooking, or causing fish to wander off as you say, and could possibly be contributing to our lack of larger, more clued on gts. The smaller guys dont seem to be bothered even when driving within 10 meters of the school they are harrassing.

I have fished Eva but not had a proper crack at popping it. Think I might be out there soon after what you said

Cheers Jordan

red dwarf

February 24, 2008, 06:29:04 PM
It helps when all your mates are cheering for you in the background and that the cameraman was on hand to take great photos
Stu

Aaron Concord

March 03, 2008, 09:49:55 PM
Jordan,
Give them a bit more distance between the fusilier school & the boat.
Many times I have shot a cast 20m away from the school to find the GT's just rounding up deeper parts of the bait!
I like to keep at least 50-60m away....further if everyone can cast well with accuracy....it DOES help BIG TIME!!!
Also, If it IS THE BEST SCHOOL YOU CAN FIND, GENERALLY THAT"S THE ONE THE G"S WILL KEEP COMING BACK TO....do the window shopping if there are plenty more schools around....actually, this gives some "breathing space" for GT's that have seen a brother pulled from the drink and shoved back in, get over it....you CAN, as I saw at Bugatti, get up to 20 different fish come from one fusilier school.

Opps....Eva?? Did I mention Eva?? I meant Dunk Island  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D