Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lures for Musandam / Salalah
June 13, 2010, 06:29:54 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm starting to plan the next trip (first GT trip...) and I'd be interested in your advice regarding lures for Oman.

I've read somewhere that the GT Mania works well there (I assume this is the Heru/Blackjack model?) but other than that I've no clue. Would be really grateful for general advice on good model, colour and size poppers and stickbaits.

BTW I tried a GT Mania in Guinea-Bissau and I think I need to spend some time in the gym........  :o

A more specific question; I saw Eric's post and I'm keen to buy some Orion lures. Will reread Brandon's lures article, but any specific recommendations for Oman?

Finally a question to get you all going; how many lures of each type do you take on a trip......... And how many do you end up using? :D   

Cheers

Dave

Cam Munro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Lures for Musandam / Salalah
June 14, 2010, 11:30:46 AM
Hi Dave - if you're planning on fishing that area, I could only recommend you fish with Ocean Active. As for Lures, best bet is to drop Nick [email protected] a line. The orion Big Jims are a great stick bait and the humble Halco accounts for plenty of GT's as well, so anything in between. I'd also take some jigs upto 300g and some wire assist hooks, but drop Nick a line and he will sort you out...if going next year, he can place an order with Orion and have them ready for you! Amazing part of the world...

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 14, 2010, 01:08:54 PM
Hi Dave,

i fished Oman Twice in the past and had a great time,
the Orion Lures are a good choice and the Craft bait Ultra big mouth along the Hammerheads G cup and I cup will be a good choice,
i am sure other lures will work fine as well,
as one of the member mention, your best bet is to get in touch with Nick of Ocean active and he will advise you on what kind of tackle you might need,
certain tide produce quality fish and be ready to have an extraordinary fight as those fish dive deep into the current,

Colin P

June 14, 2010, 05:42:36 PM
I've read somewhere that the GT Mania works well there (I assume this is the Heru/Blackjack model?) but other than that I've no clue. Would be really grateful for general advice on good model, colour and size poppers and stickbaits.

Finally a question to get you all going; how many lures of each type do you take on a trip......... And how many do you end up using? :D   

Hi Dave,

Like Sami I've been a couple of times and had good fishing both times. I may be guilty of the GT Mania mention 'cause we had plenty of strikes on it and it seemed to cope with us overcasting it into the cliff walls better than other more expensive poppers. In terms of stickbaits, Orions worked well and so did Wahoos (another Heru offering). Like most of us who play this game I take far too many poppers and stickbaits on every trip. Typically, I take around 24 (probably 16 poppers and 8 stickbaits), use 6-10 and lose 2 or 3 at most. Guess it's a comfort thing i.e. I'm ready for the trip when I really do lose lots of lures. IMO Musandam is NOT a place you should expect to lose many lures - 'cause you are always fishing close to deeper water than you are casting to and, provided you can hold tight to a GT as the skipper moves the boat to deeper water, you will most often win out. That said, you will have to be prepared to take some pain trying to halt the initial run!!

Good luck.

Colin

Best advice you'll get is "talk to Nick."

Cam Munro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 14, 2010, 08:13:51 PM
Forgot to mention overcasting, hence the halco's... stickbaits from orion big foot to mister Joes are also popular. Dont forget to take a couple of smaller poppers & 7" plastics...queenies, big eye T's etc can make a tough day worth it...and a lighter stick with 10-15lb braid!

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 14, 2010, 11:42:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm talking to Nick re. the booking but I haven't bugged him about tackle yet..... I just thought I'd check here first.

Cam, I'll definitely take some lighter tackle although the 10-15lb braid sounds very light (what sort of outfit would you use for 10-15lb braid? And for which species?).

One species I've always wanted to have a shot at is the Milkfish, would love to hook one on light tackle!

Cheers

Dave

Cam Munro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 14, 2010, 11:52:14 PM
Mate the milkies in Oman are tough, although we went on a trip with Nick to  Hallaniyat Islands of salalaj (best adventure ever ) and they were caught on fly. They refused other offerings...I used a nitro mag but and 3500HD certate with plastics, 110m R2S poppers on Queen Fish, Big Eye Trevs, Yellow Spot and other bottom dwellers...great fun. As for tackle, hassle Nick, he love's it and can just as easy place and order with orion. For pretty much cost, he can upgrade trebles, etc so you really only need lures and some 5 & 7" plastics and knife jigs ( for GT's and Spanish Macks - they call em' kingfish ). Targetting the Dolphin Fish & small tuna of the tankers is also a must do! It's a good 1.5-2 hrs up the coast from Dibba to Musandam so breaking it up with a flick here and there is worth it!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
June 16, 2010, 03:34:49 PM
I had a Pilot from Dubai come into my shop today and fishes Musandum a fair bit as its only a couple hour drive from dubai,seen some pics of some serious GT to 55kg that he has caught from there,mostly all on poppers..

Dollies,amberjacks,YTF and Sailfish aswell..