Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Monster Hunter Rod
May 06, 2012, 06:45:16 PM
Hi all,

We have been developing new Monster Hunter rod which is heavier than two existing models in a range together with Carpenter Japan for sometime now.

We have recently decided to move this rod to production and we are pleased to introduce you this new model - Monster Hunter 79 EXTREME.

We had this prototype rod displayed on our casting day last year and have received some good feedback about its manageability compare to our previous extra heavy rods such as SP78UHL-SHP or rods from other manufactures.

Here is a short review http://www.carpenterlures.com.au/library/rod/mh79ext-preview.aspx and we'll update you further once we know specific delivery time.

This will be one of market specific model which Carpenter has previously introduced some models including recent BLC rod in New Zealand.

Cheers,
Tak

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: New Monster Hunter Rod
May 06, 2012, 11:04:47 PM
Hi tak,
Would the extreme be more comparative in power and stiffness to the exh or uhl? The review says 160-200g poppers?
 Is this referring to unrigged lures, for example a gt3 190 with hooks weighs about 230, is the extreme suitable for this size poppers?
Cheers chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 07, 2012, 06:53:48 AM
Christoffer, better if I answer the question as I was the primary field tester for this rod.

Let me say at the outset that the old SP78UHL was about the ultimate rod made for monster sized poppers. It was, however, made with no compromise in mind for its purpose. While a lot of anglers found this rod amazing in its ability to handle even poppers like the Hammerhead I Cup, they found a completely different beast when fighting a fish and very, very few anglers could handle it against a seriously big fish because the rod that was your best friend with the lures turned into an angry snarling beast when locked up against a big fish. This is the reason why a lot of GT anglers have UHLs and the rods stay permanently in their rod racks.

We designed the Extreme to be able to handle big poppers but not to the same degree as the UHL. We did, however, design a rod which a good angler could hold onto in a long drawn out fight with a big fish. THe rod has enormous power down low and arguably even more so than the UHL but the mid profile to the tip will fold more faster and more parabolically than the UHL.  In terms of the poppers it will handle, we designed the rod so it will handle big poppers like the GT3 170 well. It will pop lures like the King Kong, I Cup and GT3 190 but the rod will saturate more than the UHL. I was popping these from the gimbal and it did the job but was outside its ideal range.

When we recommend a lure weight, it is always intended that you are going to add hooks to it!! It would be pointless to recommend that you ca pop a 200g lure without hooks!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 07, 2012, 11:16:55 AM
Many thanks for that clarification Brandon.  It sounds like this rod will fill an obvious hole in the market as an option that will handle big chuggers, but an ordinary mortal is still able to hang on to it under  the load of a big fish.

Thank you for clarifying the lure weight +/- hooks question as well. I have always assumed that, but I know from conversations that some others do not.

2 further questions please:

1. Do you have a physical weight for the rod yet?

2. When Tak says this will be a market-specific model, does that mean that it will not be available outside Australia?

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2012, 11:36:54 AM
Hi Mark,

Our final prototype rod has been taken to Japan and I'll need to find its weight from them when possible.

This rod is what we have requested and developed together with Carpenter to fill some gap in our market and rods on initial production will be allocated to us in Australia.

My dealers will be able to send them internationally.

Cheers,
Tak

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 10:17:04 AM
1. Do you have a physical weight for the rod yet?

It will be around 420g - slightly heavier than MH79XH and lighter than MH80H

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 10:38:41 AM
That's great news Tak - a comfortable fishing weight.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 10:50:41 AM
This extreme sounds very similar in specs and the review to what the 79xh was given when released. IMO the hole in the market from carpenter was a replacement for the uhl or between the uhl and exh. A rod ideal for big cupped 200g poppers, not sub 200 which the 79xh already does.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 11:07:14 AM
I tend to agree with Christoffer, I was using my MH79XH a couple of weeks ago with 190g Craftbaits and didn't have any problems working them. The XL cup 190's were a bit harder as the rod started to saturate a bit but still workable with a bit more effort. I was hoping this rod would cover the big buggers! I will probably get one regardless as I am a tackle pig and Carpenter rods are dux!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 11:24:53 AM
Suggest you read Brandon's review here: http://www.carpenterlures.com.au/library/rod/mh79ext-preview.aspx

Extract:

This rod has enormous stopping power down low and I regard this rod as a PE10 -12 rod. It is best for poppers from about 160g to 200g although it will handle bigger poppers and it can handle casting lures up to around the 300g range.

That's a different profile to MH79XH.

Personally, given that they have pioneered the move away from stiff, heavy GT rods, I would have found it very surprising if Carpenter had gone backwards and produced a UHL or even WV type rod.
Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:27:12 AM by Mark Harris

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 12:57:34 PM
What we had in our mind when we started developing this rod is 'manageable extra heavy rod' using Carpenter's latest rod know-how. This is the gap we see and we didn't simply aim to build rod which is only good at handling large size poppers or to replace existing SP78UHL.

We looked for the best balance between lure handling and fighting ability yet handles larger lure and higher drag pressure compare to MH79XH and we are happy about our development.

On specification, this rod will handle 50g heavier lure compare to MH79XH although it will saturate bit more than UHL but realistically, with Carpenter lures in particular such as new Sea Frog Twin Hook, our poppers will be moving for better action and presence in smaller size and we believe we have covered enough range.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 02:04:04 PM
Hi tak,
Good info on the rod. Not exactly what Im after at the moment but sounds like the rod that will replace my widowmaker one day. Is there still any new uhls left anywhere or can they be custom ordered?
Cheers chris

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 08, 2012, 03:20:40 PM
Hi tak,
Good info on the rod. Not exactly what Im after at the moment but sounds like the rod that will replace my widowmaker one day. Is there still any new uhls left anywhere or can they be custom ordered?
Cheers chris

Hi Chris,

I'm sure there are some on someone's rod racks  ;D

Unfortunately there is no SP78UHL available from Carpenter including custom rod order.

Cheers,
Tak

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 23, 2012, 02:04:01 PM
Tak will the MH Extreme be avaliable in a custom model? Any idea when it will be on the market?

Thanks
Ben

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 23, 2012, 03:36:19 PM
Hi Ben,

I'm expecting the rods on the market within next 5-6 months (it can be earlier but I have no fixed dates at this stage.)

Good question, I honestly don't know whether they will have some spare blanks for custom rods. I'll find it when I speak to them next time.

Cheers,
Tak

Tak will the MH Extreme be avaliable in a custom model? Any idea when it will be on the market?

Thanks
Ben