Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finally all good things must come to an end! We did the last trip of the season to Hallaniyat Islands Southern Oman. Two of my partners David and Allan did the trip with a good friend and client Peter. The guys all met up in Dubai and did the long drive down to Shuwaymiyah. The weather had not been very good at all for the last couple of weeks and this time of year the local monsoon wind called the Khareef blows and makes life very difficult! But the guys were keen to make the trip and met up with the very positive and fearless Capt Saud at the marina. Lucky for us it is a mission to get out to the islands from the mainland but once out on the island the fishing is close and a lot safer.

The guys arrived at the island lodge and set up their gear and headed out for an afternoon fish at the close points with not to much luck. The guys enjoyed the local Arabian Hospitality and settled in for a 3 day weather beaten trip that would produce some of the biggest fish of the season. The guys could not fish all the normal places but concentrated on a few areas closer to base which produced and also the guys got smoked by a good few unstoppable monsters. A rod was broken and a good few lures reefed due to big fish and also tough fishing conditions.

The guys caught some awesome fish. Allan got GTs 151cm, 150cm, 125cm, 120cm and 87cm. Peter got GTs 141cm (Hots 711MH), 131cm, 125cm and 120cm and David got GTs 135cm, 131cm and 130cm. All excellent fish with some of the biggest and smallest of the season!

The guys had a fantastic trip with popping, jigging and light tackle action. It was a great end to our season with the second and third biggest fish we caught out of several hundred GTs. It has been a fantastic season and we are already building up for next season starting in Sept 12. We have started work on the island lodge with painting, new central AC unit, furniture etc, the boats are already in the workshop getting new canopies, rod holders, cushions etc. We have a new villa on the mainland in Shuwaymiyah with a new inshore 26ft center console for light tackle fishing! So bring on next season for even more action packed GT mayhem! If anyone is keen on a trip give me a shout as we are busy confirming all of our bookings over the next couple of weeks. For more information and reports check out our FB www.facebook.com/oceanactive

The following tackle was used:
Rods - Race Point 250 and 200, Hots 711MH, Smith Keyholu, Smith KGS, Shimano Aerocast 240XH, OTI
Reels - Shimano Stella 5000, 8000, 10000, 18000
Line - Tufline, Jigman, Sasame
Lures - OA Cubera 150gr and 180gr, Halco Rooster, Siren Lures, ASWB Lures

Cheers,
Nick

View from the upper deck at the island villa

The boyz relaxing on the upper deck with a BBQ in the background! Priceless!

Peter with his first big GT that smoked his OTI Rod

First of Allans Monsters

David with a AJ on jig

Allan and Peter with a good GT

David with a monster queenie on light tackle.

Peter with a blacktip trevally

Light tackle

Bonnie

Blacktip trevally

Swimming in one of the sheltered bays, awesome!!

Peter with his monster 141cm GT caught on a Hots 711MH!!

David with his biggest 135cm of the trip

Allan with another GT

Not many times when you run out of tape measure when measuring a GT!! Just long enough!!

Allans second monster, the boyz had a tough time getting this one into position!

Big Black Geet for David

another big queen

Big bonnie on light tackle.

yellow dot trevally

Another big GT for David

Finally all good things must end, washing and packing up on the island.
Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:24:17 AM by Nick Bowles

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
Mind blowing as usual Nick!!!

Just want to say a massive congrats to you and the OA Crew for an incredible season.... you guys have set the benchmark in a manner that most will find very difficult to follow or beat, and the years of experience and hard work have definitely paid off... big congrats to you guys for all your achievements this season, and for putting OMan on pretty much every single GT anglers bucket list... I know its always been on mine, but after this season, its so far ahead of all the others it needs its own page!!!!  :o

Top effort, and a big round of applause and pat on the back to you guys....
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Jonas Holmsgard

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Fantastic Nick! Will miss the reports for a few months now, but hopefully they will be just as good this fall. At least ONE certain mid November report ;)

/Jonas

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Another fantastic trip - congrats to the boys involved!
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Howzit Dre! Many thanks for the comments. It has been a great season with amazing fish, memories and made easy by awesome clients. This season we really pushed it and developed and learnt a huge amount. Next season is looking good and we have a lot of changes and new infrastructure, boats, crew etc coming so really exciting. Also have a sneaky new destination which we will launch towards the end of the year. Hopefully see you this side next season!!

Hi Jonas, I look forward to your guys trip, it is going to be a good one!! We still got a few weeks let in Musandam season and been catching some big fish up to 137cm so a few more GT reports still to come. I'm then heading for Tokara, Mozambique, Cape Cod and by then we should be back in season so the report won;t stop just not from Southern Oman. Got to let the place have a very well deserved rest after providing so much for us!

Hi Peter, Look forward to having you guys back on the boats for round 2!!

Cheers,
Nick

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Totally EPIC brother. Again, smoking hot fishing with some true GIANTs.

Nice photos, no matter what the lens/camera manufacturer/model or person taking the photo.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Luke has summed it up well there Nick..... EPIC and GIANTS.

From all reports, I think this season at The Hallaniyat Islands has been quite extraordinary.  Long may it continue!

Top stuff and very well done.

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
great work Nick and crew,some insane pictures there and stonking fish...

Celso Mendonca

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Great report Nick.
Congrats for the job and  great season.