Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Overhead versus spinning reel
April 02, 2007, 05:11:32 PM
I'd be interested in people's views on the merits of overheads versus spinning reels for jigging. I use a spinning reel myself because I am uncoordinated but the best jiggers I know seem to generally prefer overheads. One of the big advantages of the overhead is that you can far more easily feel a strike on the drop whereas this is difficult with the overhead. On the other hand, I prefer a spinning reel as I feel like I have more leverage when fighting a fish.

What do you prefer and why?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Overhead versus spinning reel
April 02, 2007, 08:39:01 PM
I like both. In a threadline configuration, the more pressure that is applied to the rod, the more stable it becomes. I also find that it is much easier to adjust drag settings on the fly in quick response when required. You also don't need to worry about over-runs/birdnests or having to lay the line on the spool (although this really isn't a problem with modern jigging reels due to narrow spool).

I still like jigging with a overhead reel though. Gives you the opportunity to use your tired arms slightly differently  ;D

MarkR

April 03, 2007, 01:46:47 PM
I guess it boils down to personal preference but some guys who are competent with both overhead and spinner set-ups tell me that jigging with an overhead is far less tiring in deep water with heavy jigs. I'm more of an overhead guy and I also find that low gear ratio overhead reels like the OJ 4000P have the added advantage of giving tremendous savage cranking power.

However, the grip and wrist position of the rod arm are different in overhead and spinner set-ups because of reel position. I think the rod arm grip position is more comfortable with a spinner- the wrist is in-line with the forearm allowing the angler to fully extend and lock his rod arm if necessary and generate more power. With overheads, the wrist is positioned at an angle making it difficult for the angler to lock his rod arm, this grip is also not as secure and you can't generate as much power.
Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 01:48:34 PM by Mark Richards

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 03, 2007, 04:17:18 PM
Stability is the keyword in the differences between the two. My first jigging reel was an Accurate Boss 665XHM which I loved using :), untill I bought my Stella 20000 and never looked back ;D, as the overheads put a lot more stain on your forearms and wrists :'(. Cam [Stellajigger] did the same and boat guests would always wait for a free Stella :-\.
 Nomad has just replaced there Torsas with Stella 20000 through customer requests, they have also put on board Twinpowers for SP's etc. :D
 My Accurate is still lovingly used for big fish bottom fishing and trolling big bibbed lures and I have a upgraded Spheros 14000 / GH Samurai 30-80 for guests 8)

PS: I did use the Accurate as a 50lb / 150-250grm lite jigging reel but have updated to a Stella 8000, 'beautiful'.
Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 04:23:28 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 10, 2007, 09:54:58 PM
stella is the go no more to say .
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 10, 2007, 10:25:08 PM
Cam, christened the Stella 8000 with a jigged Bonnito last week.
 Gave the Spheros a run on the Samurai but no luck, feels really good.
 Do you want 'T' or round Stella handle?, I've got both here, they are the same as our 20000s.
 I think KC is now leaning towards the 'T", I took a spare full handle out last week and changed handles half way through a jigging session so he could compare.
 I've got 4 'T' handles here, I think 1 was yours and you ended up with 2 round.
 Bun
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 11, 2007, 09:55:35 PM
Deep water + PE8 + heavy jigs 400-600g = overhead
medium depth + PE5-6 + 200 to 350g jigs = either
shallow to medium depth + PE2-4 + 100-200g jigs spinning reels more versatile

there are exceptions to the above depending on target species, geography etc but the above is my general guidelines.

Andrew

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 08:54:55 AM
Andrew,
 What depths do you call as deep and medium ?.
 I found the overhead harder then the spinner using 250-400grm jigs in 60-100mt, the overhead was a Accurate 665HC which I think was actually a 665XHC [6.0-1 ratio].
Greg
Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:52:23 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 02:46:06 PM
Hi Greg

As you suspect, the ratio is the problem there......whilst most would think a 6:1 overhead is good for jigging, it is just awful.  Whilst beautiful reels, I don't like Torsas for that reason, and whilst I love my 665 - if I owned his high speed brother - well....that reel would as does yours relegated to more shallow work.  My reels are mostly either 4:1 (Accurate 665) or 4.9:1 (Progear Oceanus).  The Oceanus gears are cut on an angle which gives increased cranking efficiency and allows the slightly higher ratio.

In addition, standard crank arms on most overhead reels are pathetic and no good for jigging, way too short.  I replaced the 665 arm with a jigging master power arm (11.5cm) which gives you much better power and speed.  Look at Shimano OJ 'vs' trinidad - same thing.  While we are on the topic, one way bearing anti-reverses are of limited strength, the JM double docking set fixes this.  Add a JM T-Bar and you have a perfect reel for jigging - or just buy an Oceanus with all these features built in!  Fellas, this isn't meant to sound like an advert, just that JM design after market upgrades to make already good products better.

Anything deeper than 100m I would call deep water.  Most of our metro jigging is done in 90-125m (mainly 110m) and I intend to try a couple of spots in 190m this winter (for giant AJ's!!!)

Andrew

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 04:29:15 PM
um go the round knob the T seems to give me a blister have not tried it with my new smith gloves though .
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 06:50:04 PM
 Andrew, I noticed the ratio mistake to late to do any thing about it as I had thrown out the box, as from day one I wanted 4.0-1. It's a good reel but to hard for jigging. I found the same with the Twinspin 30.

Cam I'll send the 'T' over with the Speros.
 Bun
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 06:50:51 PM
Round knobs for threadlines certainly......T-knobs for overhead & heavy jigs.  Also, check your grip and gloves, you shouldn't be getting blisters......as you said, balls are better for spinners anyway.

um go the round knob the T seems to give me a blister have not tried it with my new smith gloves though .
Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 06:58:09 PM by Andrew

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 06:56:59 PM
Greg,
Me too.  I own mostly high speed threadlines (GT's, 4500H etc) which I love for spinning lures (which is what I bought them for) but dont like them much for jigging, except for lighter lures 300g & below.  Most of my surf casting overheads are high speed Saltist models which are great horizontally, but similarly no good for jigging.
Andrew

Round knobs for threadlines certainly......T-knobs for overhead & heavy jigs.

Neil Griffiths

April 12, 2007, 08:00:01 PM
Hi Andrew
Got to hop in here with an alternative view. A WELL maintained roller a/r bearing will not fail.

Neil

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 12, 2007, 10:37:16 PM
either way bearing is a vastly weaker AR system

Hi Andrew
Got to hop in here with an alternative view. A WELL maintained roller a/r bearing will not fail.

Neil
Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:46:47 PM by Andrew