epidemik

Some general questions!
October 22, 2007, 10:53:03 PM
Hey guys im pretty new to popping and stuff but i love it!! ive got a shimano 6500 baitrunner a daiwa capricorn 4500j .Im swapping jobs, Using my baitrunner 6500 for my estuary work for jewies and my capricorn 4500j for popping/jigging. Im not sure what braid to load it up with any ideas? and what pound? im going to buy a rapala concept braid rod . Anyone have any experiences with this rod? When popping and stuff how do you attach your flurocarbon leader? with a double uni or a snap swivel? I need some poppers and jigs. I was checking ebay and a mate of mine purchased a bunch for pretty cheap but i dont think cheaper stuff like this would hold up against bigger fish! ive heard river2sea are pretty good. What pound leader should i be using and what lures should i look at. Im a complete newb.
Cheers

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Some general questions!
October 23, 2007, 02:14:30 PM
welcome to the forum!

If you don't mind, we request all members to use their real names on this forum. We believe that adds to the integrity of the site so we would appreciate you changing your user name.

You will find answers to most of your questions on the Popping Tackle & Techniques board if you go back through some of our older posts. You should be able to get away with the Capricorn for light popping and jigging but I would not go past about 40lb braid - max. Any more than that and I do not think the reel's drag would handle that line weight anyway.

The Rapala rods look decent but I have no personal experience with them. Perhaps another member might be able to assist.

One of the problems with fishing tackle is you get what you pay for. If something is a ridiculous bargain, then maybe it is too good to be true. Inferior lures do not catch as many fish and their terminals may fall apart on you. River2sea are what most people here would regard as about entry level into this type of fishing. Their dumbbell popper is very good but needs upgrading on the terminals. Their paintwork is hopeless, however, and really big fish have broken the lure at the neck section. All of that said though, you're looking at light popping so it should not be as much of an issue.
If it swims; I want to catch it!