Neil Griffiths

Re: Overhead versus spinning reel
April 13, 2007, 06:11:26 PM
Why is that?
Don't see ratchet kits for stella or saltiga spin and they use a/r bearings, even ocea jig only has it as a back up if no maintenance is done.
From an engineering point of view this type of device is used in many other systems where much more torque is involved as well as a higher requirement for reliability than what's needed in a fishing reel.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
October 03, 2007, 03:14:21 PM
I don't think A/R's are a compromise at all in spinners. The large size of the rotors allows very big diametre AR bearings to fit and these are very strong and efficient ie because they are generally larger in diametre they have more mechanical advantage (read leverage) over the shaft they are looking to stop. They also act on the rotor itself rather than the handle shaft which is mechanically superior. Its a different story in overheads. Firstly compact modern jig reels don't have the space available (like eggbeaters) to have oversized AR bearings. In addition, if they are to achieve free spool, the bearings must act on the main shaft/handle. The frozen spool can only act on the AR bearing first via a gear set which is not as precise and results in alot more backlash. I think that in overheads depending on AR's alone, or pairs of them in the case of a lot of accurate overheads, might not be the best case scenario - no coincidence then that if you read US threads there are alot of twin AR bearing failures in the Accurates they love so much. If the AR's alone aren't atleast a little inferior, then why are the yanks absolutely butchering their reels with aftermarket double dog mods that compromise the reels waterproofness and void there warranties. Dogs act as more of a backup in modern eggbeater reels, but they are far more important in overheads.

Neil Griffiths

October 04, 2007, 08:29:06 AM
I don't think A/R's are a compromise at all in spinners. The large size of the rotors allows very big diametre AR bearings to fit and these are very strong and efficient ie because they are generally larger in diametre they have more mechanical advantage (read leverage) over the shaft they are looking to stop. They also act on the rotor itself rather than the handle shaft which is mechanically superior. Its a different story in overheads. Firstly compact modern jig reels don't have the space available (like eggbeaters) to have oversized AR bearings. In addition, if they are to achieve free spool, the bearings must act on the main shaft/handle. The frozen spool can only act on the AR bearing first via a gear set which is not as precise and results in alot more backlash. I think that in overheads depending on AR's alone, or pairs of them in the case of a lot of accurate overheads, might not be the best case scenario - no coincidence then that if you read US threads there are alot of twin AR bearing failures in the Accurates they love so much. If the AR's alone aren't atleast a little inferior, then why are the yanks absolutely butchering their reels with aftermarket double dog mods that compromise the reels waterproofness and void there warranties. Dogs act as more of a backup in modern eggbeater reels, but they are far more important in overheads.

Owned and worked on these reels for many years.  They 100% do not fail when maintained properly. People fit aftermarket systems because word of mouth can convince people to do almost anything.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 04, 2007, 12:49:31 PM
Yeah I 'spose people love to tinker don't they. Come to think of the Studio Ocean Mark Blue Heavens come with double AR's and no dog gears do they? I nearly bought one and can't remember reading any AR dramas with those reels and they cop an absolute flogging!

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
October 14, 2007, 07:23:33 PM
I use both overhead and spin and always found the spin less comfortable to jig with- I could never get a smooth retrieve happening . The one down side with the overhead was less stabilty- About 5 years ago I talked the the bloke who builds my rods and he suggested an "acid wrapped" configuration. I figured out that what he meant was the guides spiralling round from above to below.  (how he came to call it acid wrapped I can only guess) I tried it and Bingo- great stabilty and all the comfort and control of an overhead. Currently using a Blue heaven L120 and a couple of Accurates. The BH is a joy and really easy to maintain. :)

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 14, 2007, 10:36:32 PM
I definitely can't jig as fast with overheads as i can with spinning reels. I use my overhead ishy for 300+ jigs though and find that i tire too quickly if i go hard. I'll tend to use centre weighted jigs that are easier to work slower. If a fast retreive was all that was working though, I'd last longer with spinning reels. And just curious, what handles do you guys prefer with your overheads. The T-bar style handle of the blue heavens or the round machined handle on the 'aussie' accurates. On the blue heavens, how long is the standard handle (centre to centre)?

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 15, 2007, 03:09:42 PM
Have a couple of overheads and a couple of spin reels ,i find the spin reel much easier to jig with.Have ball handles on all of them, the T-bar Handel gives me a blister between my fingers, although in saying that i have not tried the T-bar with glove's ,think it's a personal preference to what one prefers.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

warren yuile

October 15, 2007, 04:38:15 PM
Definately find overheads smoother and less fatiguing than a spinning reels although in shallow water and light jigs they are not to bad Woz