Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi

I am looking for a rod to fish PE3 using a Stella 5ksw, to cast light stickbaits around 25 - 80gr.

I currently have a Yamaga Blue Sniper 65/3, but am looking for something to give more casting distance.

I've looked at Blue Sniper 70/3, 70/4 and 75/4, and am likely to go for one of those, but am also considering some other manufacturers. The Carpenter BC75MLR seems to fit the bill quite nicely, but appears to be out of stock. Perhaps also the TBL80/20, though this looks like it might have trouble casting at the lighter end of my range.

Can Tak, Jon or anybody please give any advice as to the Carpenter suitability (and availability). Also to hear any other recommendations from others.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks Allan

I've just emailed them, though they are not showing stock of the 75MLR (annoyingly they do have stock of the LR and the 75MHS, though I dont think either of these really suit what I'm after).

Dan

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hey dan,
Have a look at the zenaq twitch 70-3 with the long handle making it 7'4" long. Matches the specs your chasing perfectly and a really nice rod. Fishhead have them in stock.

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks Christoffer

The specs do look very close to what I'm after, though I do have some reluctance as I've never handled a Zenaq of any kind, and (as far as I know) there is nobody in WA that stocks them.

Certainly a rod I'll bear in mind though.

Dan

Carl Hollis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Zenaq rods are very nice - great quality, I have the Fokeeto Trevally 83-7 and love it. Another option at similar cost to the Yamaga Blanks is the Saltiga Dorado MO83. I run PE3 and a Twinpower 5k and it casts up to ~70g, although 40-50g is the sweet spot, for eg the FCL Labo SPP Slim 110 rigged are a great match.

Carl
Carlos

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Dan, I have been using the Blue Sniper 77/3 (different to the models you mention) and absolutely love it.  It is paired with a 5000 and either PE2 or PE3.  Casts beautifully with lures up to 50 grams and down to about 25 grams.

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hi Mark

That's interesting, I've never heard of the 77/3, is it still made?

The 75/4 seems a good option at this stage, or the BC75MLR. Just need to decide if the Carpenter is worth the 50% price premium over the Yamaga!

Dan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yes it is Dan. Talking to a Yamaga/Ripple agent recently and it is apparently one of the more popular models.

You can see the full range of Blue Sniper on the YB website here: http://yamaga-blanks.com/product/bluesniper_boitcasting.html

From what others have told me, I am sure that BC75MLR is a beautiful rod.  They are like gold dust though.