Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi All,

I'm keen to know and apply the suggested retrieve styles for the Carpenter Pandora 155 + 30 model stick bait lure mainly using it for Yellowfin tuna and/or other tuna families.

Appreciate any members suggested and proven styles to fish this mentioned stick bait.

Regards  :)

Leo

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I am just back from a (largely unsuccessful) trip and played with Pandora 155+30 a fair bit.

A long sink and then tip beating seems to be the way to go - i.e. pretty much as per that video.  Experiment with the pace of retrieve. I don't think you could retrieve as fast as in that video for very long without the lure coming back to the surface, except in gentle current territory where the lure will sink fast.

Also tried a slow action-less retrieve but the lure comes up surprisingly quickly, and with long slow pulls as many anglers use with large Bigfoots, it does not feel like the lure is doing very much.  So, I would say exactly as per the video but you might need to slow it down.

One other note - as the lure is so dense and very aerodynamic, it casts very well indeed. Just make sure you use a heavy rod to do so.  It is easy to forget that a lure that does not look like a giant, weighs well over 200 grams rigged.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks Stu, good vid with style to embrace....

Thanks Mark...good break up of lure information you express, many thanks. The Hots Gipang 83H is what I'll be using for my stick bait use, should be O.K. with the pandora.

Tight Lines !

Regards

Leo

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Leo,

I just came back from Tokara last night,
lucky to have a chance to fish with Konishi-san and watch him in person working the Pandora 155 + 30,
and yes he landed his fish on the Pandora 155 + 30, the way he explain it, is that the lure sink at a 1 foot per second ratio.
retrieve with a sudden jerk as if you are jigging  :)
the lures seems to be deadly in Tokara and many big fishes been caught on the Pandora.

brian jones

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Is the action of the bigfoot similar to the pandora?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
So Sami, Konishi-san has changed his recommended Pandora 155+30 retrieve from the tip-beating style in the video above?

And, hope you had a fantastic time in Tokara!

Brian,  I would say it is completely different to a Bigfoot which in my experience works best with long slow pulls. That retrieve gives the Bigfoot its lazy waggling type action which GTs seem to like a lot.   
Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:05:19 AM by Mark Harris

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
So Sami, Konishi-san has changed his recommended Pandora 155+30 retrieve from the tip-beating style in the video above?
And, hope you had a fantastic time in Tokara!

Hi Mark,
I never had the chance to see the recommended style retrieve for the Pandora,
from my observation to Konishi-san and the group and the way they retrieve the Pandora, I've notice it is more of a jigging technique and the result are quite astonishing on certain time and places,
when i asked, they showed me how it is done.
still nothing like to see your lures getting chased and inhaled on topwater :)
as for Tokara, i had a great time,hopefully Nick will put up the report soon  ;)

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi guys,

I just returned today from a trip to Bermagui. We boated 16-18 SBT yesterday, personally landing 3 fish on the pandora.

I used the retrieve demonstrated on the carpenter w/site - it worked. All fish were between 30-40 Kgs.

I even tempted a strike by playing it across the surface in a walk the dog styled retrieve.

Cheers
Dan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
That's very interesting Daniel and well done. Which Pandora was it?  155 or 155+30?

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,

thanks mate - it was the 155.

long 60-90 second sink and then slow pulsing retrieve

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks Daniel. That's important info as this thread title is 155+30 and the two lures have different characteristics :) .

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,

Ok cool.

Does the action differ much between the 2 lures?

I have no idea what the action of the 155 is as it's out of sight throughout the retrieve. Based on the shape, I'm assuming that they are a gentle side to side action?

Thanks
Dan

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
The 155+30 is heavier than the standard 155 model, which would have a slight different/characteristics.

Top catch there Daniel with the SBT........

Lets wait for the yellowfin and bluefin in numbers turn up off Sydney...........

Thanks guy's  :).

Regards

Leo