Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ripple Fisher 78GT Flex
May 28, 2012, 01:59:54 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm heading down south for a tuna mission this weekend, and have a couple questions... Understanding tuna and GT's are very different creatures, do you think that the ripple fisher mentioned in the subject will do the trick? I also have a cheaper Samurai POP12 (i think it's called) - which has been pretty good casting stickbaits to date.

more importantly, given we coud encounter fish from 30-100+kgs (if the big blues are around), what leader/terminal knot would you recommend?

on the dogfight, i'm currently running 70lb braid and a 120lb supple leader. usually a 4 turn uni to the swivel/solid ring on the lure.

Any suggestions would be great...

thanks!
Dan

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Ripple Fisher 78GT Flex
May 31, 2012, 07:46:11 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm heading down south for a tuna mission this weekend, and have a couple questions... Understanding tuna and GT's are very different creatures, do you think that the ripple fisher mentioned in the subject will do the trick? I also have a cheaper Samurai POP12 (i think it's called) - which has been pretty good casting stickbaits to date.

more importantly, given we coud encounter fish from 30-100+kgs (if the big blues are around), what leader/terminal knot would you recommend?

on the dogfight, i'm currently running 70lb braid and a 120lb supple leader. usually a 4 turn uni to the swivel/solid ring on the lure.

Any suggestions would be great...

thanks!
Dan

I haven't used the rod in question however, the ability to cast lures as light as 50g and as large as 80g is important. Most of the Australian Bluefin will feed on smaller profiles in the 80 to 150mm range, and that is hoping they aren't being fussy!

My setup, aiming for 100kg over Bluefin would invole 400m+ of PE8 connected to 2m of 100/130lb fluorocarbon. I connect this to a small, high-qaulity swivel with chaff tube - the knot is a 5 turn uni, passed through the eye twice. PE6 is great, but I want to know I can put 15kg+ of drag pressure without popping any connections - everything is a compromise.

Can you tie a good FG? You'll need to make sure your's a perfect, a big fish can T-Bone the stickbait so you need to ensure a well-time, hard strike.

I have been using both FG, Duck Nose (Winga tested) and "Fukui Knot". We caught our USA Bluefin with 130lb Twisted, connected to 1m of 130lb Fluoro - It worked well, too. It's important to be able to tie a knot with as smallest profile as you can as casting will usually need to be rapid and spontaneous unless you happen to find them in a feeding frenzy. You will curse yourself if you keep fouling your leader with light lures...

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 01, 2012, 11:11:44 AM
Excellent comment s by Luke.

This ripple fisher rod is rated with 120 to 180gm lure weights from memory and I have found this to be accurate, so if the tuna are keyed into small baits you will struggle to reach them with small lures and this rod, it is a medium to heavy popping rod and I deal for 150 gm GT3's. If they are not being too fussy, 60 to 100kg tuna would be great fun on this rod I'd guess if your technique is sound. Not the best tool for the job but do-able.

Good luck.
Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:20:10 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Daniel Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 03, 2012, 10:14:05 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I just arrived home this evening after an insane session on the bluefin yesterday.

I'll post a report with some pics tomorrow, but we boated 16 fish, releasing 6 of these and many more others. Fish between 30-40kgs.

The GTflex and pandora did the damage!

Cheers
Dan