May 29, 2012, 11:34:38 AM

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: UV face protection
May 29, 2012, 11:41:08 AM
Hi Tony,

I normally use Buff (high UV) + cap + sunglasses and hardly need sun screen for face.

Cheers,
Tak

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 12:17:45 PM
Personally I find buffs very uncomfortable and the same with long sleeved clingy fishing shirts.  I only use those when it is rough and very sunny to keep the salt spray off - evaporating salt spray on my skin is even more uncomfortable than actually wearing a buff!

So yes, I tend to use a waterproof sports type sun block, 30+, on face, neck, arms and legs.

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 01:10:58 PM
Tak,
The Buff is that what the Americans call a neck gaiter?
Mark,
Totaly agree with long sleeve shirts becoming clingy when hot and the but of the rod getting caught in the flap on the back..

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 01:38:08 PM
Tony, I think neck gaiter and buff is the same thing. In the tropics though they are made from very lightweight and UV resistant stretch material.  I don't like using them except in extremis as they get very sweaty and itchy, but that's just a personal thing.  There is no doubt that it is a good idea to wear one.

I guess it goes without saying that you should use very good quality polarised sunglasses.

Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 01:54:21 PM by Mark Harris

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 01:57:49 PM
I wear a buff (in fact I take 2 with me on every trip so that I have a dry one in case the other one takes too long to dry or needs to be washed from dried salt etc). I thought before I got one that it would be very uncomfortable, but I really like it. I wear one around my neck at all times and that in itself helps to avoid sunburn but I also wear it over my face for periods during the day and I think it is fine

I have very fair skin and it has helped a lot. I also find that unlike sunscreen it helps protect from windburn on those 20knot+ days and dried salt on the skin

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 02:11:23 PM
Hey Tony,

I live in the UAE and have used a buff previously...they are good but as others have eluded to can become uncomfortable or hot, particularly when the temp gets up like it does here...

The main problem is having your glasses fog up when the buff is pulled up over your nose...I found a new buff/mask a short time back and gave them a try...they are excellent...no fogging, not as tight etc..link below

http://breathelikeafish.com/

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 02:28:10 PM
Hi Tony,

I'm not sure how it is called in the states but they are range of products from Buff company.

Typical example how I use is on first and second photo with angler on http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=4349.0

I'm used to having Buff on and personally prefer this over sun screen.

Cheers,
Tak

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 04:08:36 PM
I use a buff as well as a clingy sport shirt sometimes!
It took me some time to get used to a buff but these days, it's an essential part of the kit. I hardly use any suncreen these days. I don't know - each to their own. I just started wondering whether all that suncreen could possibly be good for me.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 04:16:19 PM
Clem they look great, would totally fix the fogging up on sunglass issue you get with Buffs.
Buffs are the go, work best with collared shirts as they can creep up the neck so when you wear a tshirt, 30 plus sunscreen around any gaps.

Cheers

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 04:30:59 PM
Another vote for Buff, Hat and Glasses :)  Coupled with long shirt and long trousers - hate sun cream and whiter than a ghost LOL

Tips for Buffs get more than 1 and wash regularly, clean your teeth after lunch (nothing worse than rebreathing recycled lunch).  To lessen/stop fogging fold the buff over for 2cm or so at top and then pull over your nose.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 04:38:05 PM
Love the tooth-brushing advice :).

There is no doubt that wearing a buff and a long sleeved shirt is great protection. I just don't like the way either feels.

Worst thing about sunscreen in the hot and humid tropics where I mostly fish is when you sweat and the sunscreen from your forehead starts running into your eyes.

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 05:17:48 PM
I think I started to hate sunscreen after liveaboard trip where we had sooooo limited water supply for 5 days trip..... (particularly when we run out water on 4th day :'()

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 06:50:00 PM
Fishing with Mark in Bali, i wanted to prove that i was a wiking, and did not need a hat and heavy sunblock :-)
After one day of fishing i went out to buy a cap and a sunblock factor 50 for surfers.. I got totally roasted. I also had to wear a long sleved shirt, and it was hot like hell. But better than being a totally roast :-)
Greetings
Simon

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 07:04:41 PM
Go the buff and long sleeve shirt - and just suck it up.  When all is completely drenched in sweat they feel nice and cool as the wind blows over them on the move!

If the baggy shirts aren't your thing, try a long sleeve cycling jersey!  same material as the polyester fishing shirts but tight fitting and designed to wick sweat away from the body.  Another option is short sleeve cycling shirt combined with polyester cycling arm warmers (get the white ones, not the black ones) - they are actually pretty cool!  Cool as in 'temperature'.......not as in 'style'.....you still look like a dick in them!

Sunscreen sucks......but I hate the sun.....I'd wrap myself in a blanket before wearing sun screen these days.  To stop your specs fogging up, don't pull the buff up quite so high.