Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: UV face protection
May 29, 2012, 07:05:42 PM
I'm a big fan of sun protection of any sort.... I'm really fair skinned unfortunately, and with a history of Skin cancer in my familty ( my old man passed away from Skin Cancer 4 years back ) I am what one would call a sunscreen Nazi.....

I wear a Buff and hat always.... I also find them annoying that they creep up your neck, and they fog up, so thanks for that link Clem, just placed an order for two shirts and two buffs to check out...

I wear the Pelagic Aquatek longsleeve shirts pretty much everyday, even when I'm not fishing... I just wear one under my t-shirt as I spend alotta time outdoors for work... these shirts are great, very cool, and in no way uncomfortable like the traditional longsleeve fishing shirts....

I wear factor 50 on my face as well, even with a buff....

Just one dose of sunburn can put your whole trip out, so I'd rather sweat a bit, and not be roasted at the end of the day....

I guess I end up looking like a bandito, but thats ok... here I am with full midday kit:

And once the sun is well down I usually lose the Buff...

To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 07:25:18 PM
Tell the truth Andre.....you only wear that buff to stop your hair from getting caught under the bail arm while you're casting, dont you!

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 07:47:52 PM
Tell the truth Andre.....you only wear that buff to stop your hair from getting caught under the bail arm while you're casting, dont you!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Too right Pete, you got me!!! :-)

Tructh be told, my missus actually had some custom caps made for me because along with the hair, I've got a pretty fat head too, so the custom hats now fit all the hair up outta the way, and no more curls getting caught in the bail arms!!!
Although I did have a client on this last trip get a Jobu 9/0 caught in one of the dreads......  :o

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 07:50:31 PM
Classic Pete..

Thanks Guys for all your assistance I was going to go for a shirt which has the buff included in its design (Any one tried one of these) so complete cover only other accessories gloves/glass/hat.
Now after reading responses will look at the purchase of two individual buffs. 

Cheers again guys.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 07:54:08 PM
Tony - I have used the shirts with the built in Buffs, and they work really well.... I use the Simms ones, which they discontinued unfortunately, but they work well...

I just ordered two of the ones Clem posted about from that Breatbh Like a Fish company, as I like the idea of the breathing holes in the Buff/Gaitor portion.... The SImms ones are a little heavy weight for the tropis in my opinion, but work great down here in the Cape...

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 29, 2012, 08:01:36 PM
Andre,

Just placed an order for two off each shirts and buffs.

Cheers Guys.

Mike Osborn

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 30, 2012, 09:49:52 PM
I can't stand Buff's but find myself wearing one more and more for work. I also use piz buin all day sunscreen which I put on first thing and it is magic stuff. I used to wear the pelagic aquatek shirts daily working in Mexico and they are amazing, just recently I started wearing one again on my current boat despite having uniforms. The captain saw it and having just had 6 melanoma's removed promptly ordered them for the rest of the deckies.

Sunnies are another big one for anyone who spends any time in the sun. Costa del Mar 580 lenses are the best by far I have used. Maui Jim, Quicksilver and Kaenon sunnies also rate highly.

You only get one chance, got to look after your body

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 30, 2012, 09:59:08 PM
You are right Mike, tried my new 580G's last time out and they were excellent...the breathable buff's are great...you don't get any fogging and if your unfit like me your not sucking for air....

Mike Osborn

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
May 30, 2012, 10:13:49 PM
I Just ordered one of those shirts and a couple of buff's to try. Some days I spend over 12 hour's in our centre console even under the Hardtop I still get alot of sun from reflections so will give the breatheable ones a go.

The 580 glass lenses shatter very easily. I often have up to 3 pairs at costa getting repaired! I now use the glass ones only for fishing and the 580p's for everything else.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 31, 2012, 06:58:12 AM
Under armour heat gear long sleeve and a uv buff ... Even wear them fishing in the uk ... Great for keeping the rain and wind outta yah face!

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 31, 2012, 09:54:34 AM
Clem, I thought those masks looked familure. Check out these shirts from Columbia http://columbia.com/Men%27s-Insight-Ice%E2%84%A2-Long-Sleeve-Crew/AM2024,default,pd.html yyou will not find anything cooler. I wear the short sleeve almost every day and they are great. Just ordered the long sleeves.

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 03, 2012, 04:20:32 PM
I know we are talking about Buff's but I would say that I love the long sleeve compression wear such as Skins, 2XU, Under Armour etc. I have played a lot of sport in the tropics and these do actually make you feel cooler, wicking away the moisture and providing UV protection. They take a little getting used to but are great.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 03, 2012, 04:46:39 PM
Factor 50 and old and faithfull Akubra. Caps don't keep the sun off my ears and neck

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 03, 2012, 06:22:57 PM
Just recieved my order from Breath Like A Fish and gotta say the products look great...

I haven't had much chance to test them yet here in the middle of winter, but I really like the design...

The face masks in particular, along with the " Breathe hole" mesh, they are cut with longer sections in front and back, which makes a huge difference... Buffs always annoyed me in the way they rolled up at the ends, which leaves you exposed alot of the time.... I ended up wearing a buff and a bandana to protect my neck and chest area as the Buff would always roll up... these masks from BLAF should remedy that...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2012, 07:02:10 PM
Very much horses for courses. I could not fish in hot, humid conditions in that clingy, compression, synthetic sportswear stuff... I find it horribly uncomfortable. Oversized, loose fitting natural cotton shorts and shorts for me.