Florito Conales

popping rod blank
May 04, 2012, 04:46:20 PM
hello folks,

i'm new here and request for your vast knowledge. 
i just picked up a daiwa saltiga dogfight and wanted to get a rod to match it, but i'm trying to personally customize it.
what popping rod blank would you guys recommend?  i'm targetting GTs from 50-120 lbs  and yellow fin tunas up to 200 lbs.  and maybe some marlins. 

recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: popping rod blank
May 04, 2012, 09:06:03 PM
hi florito, welcome to the forum. i'm quite new here too and i'm loving it! the guys here are just so knowledgeable and friendly! i've learnt alot and will continue to learn from them here..

allow me to share my 0.0002 cents worth with you.

based on your target species and weight, and not forgetting how much you're willing to invest, below are some of the rods I've paired with the DF with quite good results. Not all belongs to me though, how I wish they were  :)

I'd also like to add, perhaps if your budget allows and with all due respect to the DF, you might like to consider the Stella 18000SW HG as one of your go-to-reel as well. Both reels have (and will continue to have) a perpetual comparison of who's better. In my opinion, there's really no one outstanding reel as both reels, in my opinion, has its pros and cons but both performs quite outstandingly (except the first generation of the DF where the drag was absolute crap. by the way, I own one and had the drag upgraded to carbontex)

In terms of pairing the perfect rod with your reel of choice, it too involves other factors for consideration; like your fitness level, how comfortable you are with the set-up. Remember you'd need to be as comfortable as possible and choosing a rod that fits you and your style specifically is of paramount importance. The weight of the reel fully loaded, rod with a heavy popper/stickbait can add up to quite a hefty weight when you're casting and chugging/popping. To top it off, when you've a monster of a fish hooked, the pulls and runs of the fish plus all your equipments' weight will most definitely take its toll on even the most experienced angler. And, there will be times when you're casting all day long without even a sniff from the finned species. So all these you'd have to take into consideration.

These are the rods that I've personally used with the DF and Stella, and for me, I personally love the Monster Hunter, Wild Violence, HOTS Gipang, El Toros and the JM. The rest were not really my cup of tea but it doesn't mean they're not good. (one man's meat another's poison)

1) CARPENTER Discovery Journey DJ-83MH
2) CARPENTER LGM SUPER POPPING SP78EXH (this rod is quite difficult to locate now. a check with your preferred local tackle store may help)
3) CARPENTER Monster Hunter 79HX or the 80H
4) CARPENTER Wild Violence WV83XH
5) HOTS Gipang 77 XXXH or XXH
6) SMITH GTK-77BG Keyolhu (a tad too soft for me)
7) SMITH WRC-Komodo Dragon
8) PATRIOT DESIGN World combat GTZ Diamond 77 (i call this rod The Punisher aka the Broomstick)
9) JIGGING MASTER GT Monster 78
10) KAISER El Toro 150GT & 180GT (korean made, not too heavy on the wallet and most importantly, performs like its more famous cousins)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 04, 2012, 10:26:14 PM
Some good rod recommendations from Robin.  I think though Florito is looking for a blank to build his own rod?

Robin Loi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2012, 12:52:38 AM
LOL! thanks for the heads-up Mark! appreciate it!

well florito, i'm not so experienced in the area of popping blanks but i think the Black Hole Cape Cod series, MC Works, Seed and the blanks from Kaiser (Kaiser Pro Shop in Singapore) should serve your interests best.

Perhaps Mark and the rest of the more knowledgeable and experienced anglers can share their thoughts?

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 01, 2012, 07:09:30 PM
G'day Florito, l have a dogfight reel and have been looking for a blank to suit it also,
l recently picked up a rod made by SEED, its a SEED BOSS  GT-P83 two piece and l have stripped it back to the bare blank and l will now custom build it the way l want it

"the things we do"  but l think its going to be perfect.

Its 8 foot 3 inches long and rated to 80 lbs with a fast tip action. I believe they are available from PLAT in Japan as a built rod (see PLATS website) or from Sabre in Singapore as a blank, however l have had no luck getting the blank l wanted either here in Australia or from overseas, therefore l bought a rod to rebuild.

If you get a chance, try a SEED rod or blank, lm happy with mine.

Cheers Ross.
Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:14:36 PM by Ross Smith

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2012, 07:23:32 PM
Hi Florito,
If you are in the look for a blank, check Saltywater Tackle Race Point 250 blanks http://saltywatertackle.com/product.php?id_product=47
we landed massive fishes on those blanks and our reports speaks for themselves. 
Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:26:26 PM by Sami Ghandour