Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Komodo
June 08, 2012, 11:13:23 AM
As I read reports from all over the world it seems nothing is ever said about Komodo? I've watched Okubo San just decimate the GTs down there on legend 5 over and over and can't imagine that place just absolutely deserted so what happen?

I don't know where I read it but I do recall reading that it definitely ain't what it used to be, I was wondering if someone could explain what happen down there? Or is the charter biz all washed up on that side of the world?

Charles
GT FIGHT CLUB

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Komodo
June 08, 2012, 12:32:30 PM
....... I doubt the fishing is of anywhere the same standard it was years back but I would also point out that in Legend 5, he hooks up on nearly every cast. I'd suggest that might not accord with reality.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2012, 12:33:26 PM
Both Brandon's points are very apt.

As for Komodo specifically, there is no question that the fishing is not as good as it used to be. This is also true of Alor which is not so far away.

As Brandon alludes to, many hot GT destinations go through this process as the fish get used to seeing lures.  At Komodo (and Alor) there are other factors at play:

1. Irresponsible anglers killing fish indiscriminately (GTs and others)
2. Pressures from local small scale commercial fishing including reef bombing
3. Declining quality of charters (big factor)

All that being said, I do believe that if the area was visited again by quality anglers who are capable of fishing stickbaits properly, the results would come. The days of a few bloops with a chugger and "smash" are gone, but there are certainly still big fish at Komodo.  Komodo is actually at the top of my bucket list for a re-visit (have been several times in the past).

Charles there are newer destinations being opened up now in Indonesia where the initial results are similar to the early days in Komodo. Who knows how long that will last, but the early results are very encouraging. For example, a friend of mine was at a previously unfished Indonesian site a couple of months ago and the first 3 casts with a bog standard chugger induced 5 GT strikes (from large fish).  The logistics and costs for reaching these many of these sites remain a bit prohibitive though.
Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:51:18 PM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2012, 02:24:55 PM
I've seen an awful lot of dead GTs with smiling Indonesian anglers on Facebook. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. What astounds me is they complain about the deterioration in the fishing!

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 08, 2012, 02:50:57 PM
I've seen an awful lot of dead GTs with smiling Indonesian anglers on Facebook. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. What astounds me is they complain about the deterioration in the fishing!

Brandon,
I can't agree with you more on this subject, it really bothers me to see anglers taking pictures with dead GT!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2012, 03:28:41 PM
Welcome to my world Brandon :( . The illogicality drives me nuts and it is an ongoing battle of winning people over. 

It should also be said that a lot of visitors and expats here are no better.

It also makes the very enlightened locals like Adhek stand out as beacons.

Dead GTs don't bother me any more than other dead fish caught for sport by anglers - it is all very bothering.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2012, 03:42:56 PM
"The oceans bounty is limitless". Fishery management and the concepts of species vulnerability do not require a second thought. Releasing a fish after capture is an act of stupidity. A boat full of dead trophies is a measure of skill and prowes of the angler.

Now if we can just educate the fish on these points I am sure things will get better.

Set the ray to GeeT

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2012, 03:56:38 PM
Indeed Andy.... lovely sarcasm.

If only the fish understood....  ::)

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
June 08, 2012, 04:01:26 PM

This sounds like Hawaii. I asked because I'm a little scared that in several years I'll be telling my son," dad and his buddies use to hook up all the time but the fishing ain't what it use to be." I already here that now from the old timers.

In Hawaii you'll always see guys holding up monster GTs dead on arrival, and it's always been like that. Not until this past year since iv'e been tagging and releasing fish has it bothered me. I spent a lot of years on the continental US chasing bass which showed me the benefits of T&R. Not to be hypocritical but we do on occasion take one home usually a small one or one that has been mutilated by trebles. But it's pretty rare for us I can count two that we've kept around 10lbs.  I have no idea how our fishery is doing regarding GTs but I'd say about 7 out of ten GTs caught are eaten but this is just a personal guess. pick up any local mag and you'll see GTs hung up dead with happy people who love GT fishing.

I do make it a point on our local fishing forums to show all our released fished and that we tag them to fight another day and I hope more people jump on the bandwagon.

Thanks for the input guys sounds like Komodo just fizzled out from it's hey day and not a complete desert.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 08, 2012, 06:44:53 PM
Mark and all apologies for my sarcasm :-X :-X......must be positive.

Indeed Andy.... lovely sarcasm.

If only the fish understood....  ::)
Set the ray to GeeT

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2012, 05:57:56 AM
As I have said on a number of occasions, this forum promotes catch and release. That said, I don't think anyone is going to bregrudge you taking one for a meal, Charles, particularly a small and damaged one. What realy riles me though are these guys who are killing them as trophies and keeping every fish they catch.

I saw a DVD a few years back from a company that is respected in jigging circles where they were fishing in the Burma Banks or Andamans region and the mongrels killed every single GT they jigged up. There was a deck covered in bloody big dead GTs! You'd surely expect a fishing tackle company to be more sensible than that  >:(

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2012, 10:36:49 AM
There is one specific Bali operator who is just like that Brandon. They kill every single fish they catch (mostly Amberjacks and GTs) and are very proud of their photos of dead fish lined up on the beach.  It is French owned and operated.

Whilst I can understand locals taking fish for economic reasons, when it is Europeans (or otherwise) running a $800 per day charter, it is unforgivable. Thankfully their website is so distasteful that any decent angler would have one look and make sure they never fished with that company.
Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:38:21 AM by Mark Harris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2012, 01:57:26 PM
The best one I have come upon is a Fijian operator who said he has to charge double if you want CnR because he has to buy fish to replace the ones we release. Double?!?!  :o

There is one specific Bali operator who is just like that Brandon. They kill every single fish they catch (mostly Amberjacks and GTs) and are very proud of their photos of dead fish lined up on the beach.  It is French owned and operated.

Whilst I can understand locals taking fish for economic reasons, when it is Europeans (or otherwise) running a $800 per day charter, it is unforgivable. Thankfully their website is so distasteful that any decent angler would have one look and make sure they never fished with that company.

Will Wragg

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 09, 2012, 04:28:20 PM
I agree wholeheartedly that there are some charter operators in Fiji who are fishmongers, but some of us are trying to change this.
I have just come back from the first Volivoli Resort popper fishing competition, and every single GT and bluefin was measured and released. Barbless hooks were strongly advocated, advice was given about correctly holding fish for photos, and we trialed a weigh sling made free of charge by a local sail maker. I had some Release the Gt stickers made up ( thanks for permission Luke) and we gave these out at the end of the trip. Apparently one was going to be stuck to the van windscreen of one of the main culprits.
Ill do a longer post on the competition over the next few days.

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 09, 2012, 04:39:42 PM
Ahahahahhhhh, thats awesome Will, sticking it to the windshield of the culprit, heheheheh, man i needed that laugh this morning. Is there anyway someone can get some of these stickers printed out and place here for sale? I would like to buy a few and stick one one the back window of my vehicle.