Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi all,

I have one of the original design Saltiga Z 4500 reels and I was wondering where I could get a larger capacity spool for it?

Jigging Master, SOM?  Will spools designed for the newer model Saltigas be ok for this model reel?

Thanks,

Andrew
Focus on the pop

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Andrew,

I understand that you can use the old spools on the new Saltigas, but not the other way round!  The SOM spool has the same capacity as the original saltiga 4500.

The Old model 5000 spool fits onto the larger body Saltigas (not the 4500)........ jibbed again.

Not much joy there at all, maybe you will just have to drop a line class!

Cheers Peter.

Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I wish I saw this post before I started my thread!

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Troy, the 4500 makes a great pe4/5, 50 lb reel!  Much more than this and you are pushing it's limits a bit!

Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Troy, the 4500 makes a great pe4/5, 50 lb reel!  Much more than this and you are pushing it's limits a bit!

Yeah thanks. I'm not planning on running any more then PE 3 with it. Should be enough line (Touch wood!) but if the option of more line was there then why not?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
If you are running it with PE3, then the comparison should really be with a Stella/Twinpower 5000/6000, not with a 10000 as in your other thread.

I would imagine a Saltiga 4500 holds a lot of PE3 and you will not have any issues on that front.

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
400m of pe3/300m of pe4(65lb)

Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
If you are running it with PE3, then the comparison should really be with a Stella/Twinpower 5000/6000, not with a 10000 as in your other thread.

I would imagine a Saltiga 4500 holds a lot of PE3 and you will not have any issues on that front.

A couple of mates have 10000 SW Stella's spooled with 30lb for spinning landbased for Tuna and Spanyids. I'm no expert in that field but have heard of an 8000 Stradic getting spooled by big Spanish with 30lb braid on the same ledges they fish. Hence why I compared it with the 10k. But now I see it probably isn't upto those standards, especially since there are no common spool upgrades it seems. When I purchase an 18k it will probably be used in those situations.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
If you get spooled on PE3 with the 18000, that will be an awful big spaniard, like those 80kg models they get in the South China Sea.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
If you get spooled on PE3 with the 18000, that will be an awful big spaniard, like those 80kg models they get in the South China Sea.

Yes it would! But to fill an 18k with PE 3 you would almost need a 1200 yard spool, haha. The 18k will just be better for the gear ratio. 50lb would suit it nicely. Plus a bit more pulling power from sharks when they're around.