Andrew Walker

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Mono to hollow braid
July 07, 2012, 06:05:06 AM
Continuing my dumb questions!  I have jst taken delivery of some 130lb Jerry Brown hollow braid, some 200lb sufix mono with two Daho needle (N200600 for up to 1.5mm and N15053 for up to 1.35mm).  My mono is 1.4mm and so wont fit in the smaller hollow needle but fits snugly into the larger one.  My problem is that Youtube seems to show everyone just sliding the needle up the hollow braid but I cant manage two inches!  I realise that I need to keep the braid 'loose' or the needle wont slide in but whatever, I just cant get it to thead up the braid.  Is there a knack I am missing?  Thanks in anticipation.

Robert Tapert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Mono to hollow braid
July 07, 2012, 08:36:14 AM
andrew

there is something wrong. Either the needle is too large or the JB 130 is solid. Try wetting the hollow core. For whatever reason wetting the hollow core makes it easier to work with  especially in the 12 strand 100 lb.  Then take a smaller needle and  work it up inside the hollow core.  Point the needle tip toward the ground and work the hollow core up onto the needle. don't try to push the needle into the hollow core.   Get the hollow core bunched up on the needle and then slide it further up on the needle. what you don't want to do is make the weaves tighten down and bind on the needle. After the weaves are separated then it should be easier to drive a somewhat  large needle with  the mono inside. You should be able once the weaves are separated to push the 200 lb mono directly up inside the JB hollow core. It sometimes helps to file with  a fine sand paper the tip of the mono into a point.  there are numerous demonstration of this on Senior Tuna and tuna 360 websites.

I make my own top shot leaders for live bait fishing tuna. I even have a bow server to really get tight wraps onto the mono. My top shots are not quite as slick as some of the better pre packaged ones but they  have caught many tuna over 200 lbs.  I dabbled with it on a casting rig but it didn't work to my  satisfaction. you might want  to consider getting pre made casting leaders ( see streamline leaders http://streamlineleaders.com/ ) or basil top shots.  I have been led to believe by east coast of America tuna fisherman that  the streamline are smooth as silk going through the guides. But equally Basil's top shots never let me down tuna fishing.  they do clatter going through the guides casting for GT and as such I went back to the FG knot. I am going to try  these pre made casting leader on my  next  GT trip.  Then all you have to do is make a loop at  the end of your 130 lb. i have never had a knotless loop fail on me. Once again instruction on how to do this is at basil's top shot site, Senor Tuna, tuna360, blackwater  fluorocarbon site under tech tips,  and numerous other places. 

good luck

rob

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 07, 2012, 10:38:32 AM
Howzit Andrew,

If the needle thing isn't working out for you, you can skip it altogether. Sand down the last 2cm of mono to a nicely tapered smooth point finish. I like to start with 100grit, then 200grit, then finish with 400-600grit wet sand. Once you have your tapered mono nice and smooth, you should be able to just slide the mono right into the hollowcore.

Andrew Walker

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 08, 2012, 02:03:12 AM
Thank you Robert and Nathan, thats some good info to try out.

Paulus Van Gaal

July 14, 2012, 08:27:12 AM
Howzit Andrew,

If the needle thing isn't working out for you, you can skip it altogether. Sand down the last 2cm of mono to a nicely tapered smooth point finish. I like to start with 100grit, then 200grit, then finish with 400-600grit wet sand. Once you have your tapered mono nice and smooth, you should be able to just slide the mono right into the hollowcore.

Tapering the mono, length should be 12 to 15 times the diameter, is the best and strongest way, this increases the systems bs.

If you get the thinest guitar string about 0.280mm bend it over and squash the tip (leave a 0.200mm air gap), insert that into the hollow, this will even go into a 40lb hollow, bunch up the braid this expands it and opens it up, then just slide the mono into it.

No needles required.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/Paulusvg/?action=view&current=986a58bc.pbw

Paulus
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:29:23 AM by Paulus Van Gaal

Andrew Walker

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
July 14, 2012, 04:31:08 PM
Thanks Paulus, great instructional photos!