andy cooper

i am after some jb 130lb solid  where is the best place to buy some from ,i am in Australia but happy to buy from overseas as jb is hard to find here and also a lot cheaper overseas
thanks

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
I just ordered some from Tackle Direct in the U.S.

www.tackledirect.com

Apologies for not posting a proper link but I'm IT illiterate - you should find it from the above info tho'

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Guy's

Some interesting reading here http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

I just got some of the 85lb (test 116) to try http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/catalog.htm#1  ...arrived last week haven't spooled it yet but will let you know...

andy cooper

I just ordered some from Tackle Direct in the U.S.

www.tackledirect.com

Apologies for not posting a proper link but I'm IT illiterate - you should find it from the above info tho'

thanks oRdered some from them today!

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
As always great info Clem...Let us know how it turns out as it looks like great line.

Ed Nicholas

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
What have you ended up doing? My judgement is pretty useless as i have not used the JB but what i can vouch for is the PE 10 GT Avanti. I have this on my Stella .. can cast it a mile, really smooth and locked up some very big fish with no issues, its a great line.

Peter Olesen

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hey Ed

I haven't done anything yet. I'm sure they are both strong - my only concern is: which one casts longer. I'm waiting to get a chance to compare the two lines with my eyes. But Japanese high end tackle for huge fish is not something we see everyday in Scandinavia. I think I'm gonna have to order some Avani GT Max to take a look :)

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter." Mark Twain

Paulus Van Gaal

Hi Guys
Just a little info.

The Varivas 130lb sample sent to me was listed as a Pe10 (0.570mm) measured diam was  0.672mm with a bs of 137.23lb.
The JB 130lb solid is very similar to the 130lb hollow, its bs is at 167lb (0.651mm)  to 193lb (0.697mm) it's but much stronger than the Varivas but similar in diameter.

I can only make this assumption because i have tested the 100lb solid, and it is a little thinner than the hollow.

A good batch of JB 100lb hollow or solid would be a match for the Varivas 130lb and would be a lot thinner.

When you look at Dyneema verses Spectra, which in this case it is what this is, if you have similar measured diameters, I generally find that the spectra is stronger, guess it depends on the class of Dyneema that is / was used.

Some recent tests on 40lb hollow braids, similar lines show that Dyneema Sk71 can be as strong as Spectra 1000.

Don't forget that the after braiding treatments plays a large part in the final diameter and breaking strain.

Note,,, Manufacturers listed diameters are seldom correct, don't believe what is listed or written on the box.

Paulus

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/index.htm

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Paulus, when you are doing your tests do you apply slow even pressure until the line fails or do you apply a sudden violent pull?

I don't dispute lab results and find them very useful for side by side comparison but actual everyday use and environmental factors also play a huge effect on line.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yep, shock load is an absolutely critical factor for GT fishing (along with other things).

In the end, whether a line breaks in a straight line under pressure at 140 lbs or 160 lbs does not really matter as your rod or reel or arms will have given way long before that.
Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:03:15 AM by Mark Harris

Ross Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Well said Mark, although the heavy line has the advantage of a little better abrasion resistance.
(Just before you get pulled overboard) :o
Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:05:57 PM by Ross Smith

Paulus Van Gaal

Paulus, when you are doing your tests do you apply slow even pressure until the line fails or do you apply a sudden violent pull?

I don't dispute lab results and find them very useful for side by side comparison but actual everyday use and environmental factors also play a huge effect on line.

Hi Guys

The tests are a carried out at a preset rate to give a steady pull, this is for comparison bs purposes, the most critical part of the test is the way the line is held.
Temperature plays a part in the braids strength, tested at 22deg +/- 1 deg. Cooler is stronger and hotter is weaker, on a very hot spool or a hot runner (guide) you may loose up to 20% of abs.

Knots to a terminal should never be used, as you may get if lucky 60% most likely 50%, with a shock load even less.

A strong violent pull on a 0.5 meter length is very different to a voilent pull on a 50 meter length

These braided lines do have a 3 to 4% stretch, braided with more pics per inch will give it more stretch and less strength, Shock leaders are your best friend.
Do not rely on drag settings as they do not dampen the shock load, as the start up enertia is greater than the set load.

Braid to leader joins, nothing beats solid to hollow topshot with a leader inserted, have a look at the Pullon system and learn how to make them.
Biminis, generally 86% if you are good, but then bimini to bimini (loop to loop) one time through is not 100%.
Braid to leader, anything that has a slow spiral down the leader is good, avoid twists in the braid line in a knot, or it will definately fail.
Braid join, solid to solid braid ....... stitch it, as thats the strongest... Never Uni to Uni, emergency only, then stitch it when you get home.

Paulus 
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi paulus,
You say not to use knots as your connection to terminals. Is crimping to your swivel a stronger connection?

Paulus Van Gaal

Hi paulus,
You say not to use knots as your connection to terminals. Is crimping to your swivel a stronger connection?

Hi

Guess i meant braid to terminal,,, but while we are on it,,,

Crimps can be stronger when they are done right, but with plastic lines knots also do well.

It's a toss up as to weather you have an extreemly strong system all the way to the hook, or you have a fuse built in.

With a braid to leader knot it generally becomes the fuse as it will break at that join, unless you have a week spot further up in the main line, but you generally only loose the leader.

With a solid to hollow splice that is exceptionally strong you can loose a lot of line as well as the leader. So a poor knot from the leader to the terminal / lure is not such a bad idea. Also depends on how much time you want to loose attaching leaders.

On the point of crimping,,, I spent a lot of time on this and a few critical points have come out of it.
A flemish eye in the leader on the terminal works and holds the best,,, use only aluminium crimps on plastic lines,,, the line must be very snug in the crimp,,, the crimping tool must suit the crimp,,, stay at least 1.25mm away from the ends of the crimp so they flare,,, try 2 passes,,, do not over crimp. The flemish eye will lock up on the eyelet and do most of the work. At the end of the day test what you have done.

Paulus

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

The Varivas 130lb sample sent to me was listed as a Pe10 (0.570mm) measured diam was  0.672mm with a bs of 137.23lb.
The JB 130lb solid is very similar to the 130lb hollow, its bs is at 167lb (0.651mm)  to 193lb (0.697mm) it's but much stronger than the Varivas but similar in diameter.

Paulus,
That's a very interesting information and I never met such comparison anywhere else. Thank you for posting.
I got to your site and found loads of interesting info there.

But how do you measure braided lines diameter? they are soft and and not "round" in cross section, so to know your method would be very interesting...
And I never saw japanese makers specify diameter for their PE (at least on the domestic market), so I was surprised to read that "Varivas Sample was listed 0.57mm"...
Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:51:25 PM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev