Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How do you tie your assist hooks?
April 02, 2007, 08:00:55 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what type of knots poeple use to tie their own assist hooks. In particular, I'd be keen to see what kind of double you use. The reason why I am interested in a double is so I can tie it very short and simply loop it onto a split ring or a popper or stickbait.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: How do you tie your assist hooks?
April 02, 2007, 08:52:43 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what type of knots poeple use to tie their own assist hooks. In particular, I'd be keen to see what kind of double you use. The reason why I am interested in a double is so I can tie it very short and simply loop it onto a split ring or a popper or stickbait.

I simply splice mine Brandon. I think if you find the loop is too small to make the loop around the whole hook to finish, then you are either using a hook that is so big that it doesn't require such an assist or you want the hook so close to the lure it may not even be necessary - just use a split ring anyway. As long as you can get the loop over hook to finish you can add extra twists around the shank to adjust the height accordingly.

In summary, the point i am making is that if you can't get the length short enough with a looped assist then you are probably better off using a split ring anyway.
Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:55:55 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2007, 10:09:06 PM
I'm playing around with it at the moment and I think you're right. It might be easier to simply use a split ring. The only problem is that those SJ-51s are bloody big hooks and it is really hard putting a split ring on without feeling like you have damaged the ring.

i should use some other type of thread to experiment. I don't think using zylon for practice is a good idea   :o

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 02, 2007, 10:17:12 PM
I'm playing around with it at the moment and I think you're right. It might be easier to simply use a split ring. The only problem is that those SJ-51s are bloody big hooks and it is really hard putting a split ring on without feeling like you have damaged the ring.

i should use some other type of thread to experiment. I don't think using zylon for practice is a good idea   :o

Yeah mate, just got to use 300lb+ split rings and do it very quickly! :o

Good quality YGK dyneema is pretty cheap ;D

Chris Wong

May 13, 2007, 02:44:45 PM
Too much is thought about this subject.  Mates of mine simple tie one overhand knot (granny knot) around the hook, no glue, no heat shrink, no slippage, no problems using the YGK red kevlar.  Well tested at the 3 Kings.

Ivan Verhage

July 09, 2007, 09:17:06 AM
All i do is start with around 20-30cm of 200lb dyneema then double it up and thread it through the eye of the hook make the loop comeing out of the eye as long as required then go to the other side of the cord, lay it flat againsed the hook shank and tie a 4-5 turn uni knot.

jerry dollar

July 26, 2007, 12:52:50 PM
just curious. does anybody put treble hooks on the back end of the jig or do you go with assist hooks off the front end only and do you use 2 assist hooks or just one?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 26, 2007, 02:05:36 PM
Actually, a very good question, Jerry. If you fish around enough, you will find that it is very popular among the Japanese for them to rig with a big treble at the end of the jig when they are fishing for doggies. Now (please note - just my opinion) my view is that this is about the dumbest rig you can go with for doggies. Trying to get a hook to stick into the mouth of a doggie is one of the harder things to achieve in jigging in the first place. if you think you need to stick a hook hard into a GT, its nothing compared to a doggie.

Their rationale is a doggie attacks from the rear and you get a better hook up rate. I used to do this but I dropped so many fish and also, I hooked up on the bottom so many times!! You may get a better hookup rate but the retentiohn rate sucks!!

Even running single assist, I have had innunerable occasions where the hook has simply fallen out during the fight. A good friend of mine who is an excellent jigger hits the doggies so hard with his attempts to drive the hook home you have to see it to believe it. It helps being a big bloke too! When jigging for doggies, I'm now using the Fisherman Shidens which are a thinner guage and finer barb which in my view should (theoretically) be easier to drive home. I know a lot of experienced doggie jiggers who use two assist of equal or varying length. I have no doubt you get a better hookup and retention rate but at the back of my mind is also the thought that if the bugger gets away, I'd prefer him swimming around with one hook in it rather than two. That's why I only use one hook.

The other problem with running a treble off the back is that I think it increases significantly the likelihood of snagging up on the bottom. Not a worry if you're using Williamson jigs but if you're using Fisherman or Seven Seas jigs, it matters!!

As I wrote earlier, these are just my views based on my experience. Others may have the complete opposite view.

just curious. does anybody put treble hooks on the back end of the jig or do you go with assist hooks off the front end only and do you use 2 assist hooks or just one?

Neil Griffiths

July 27, 2007, 08:45:10 AM
Matsutani San probably has a lot to answer for here. Years watching him jigging dogs with treble hooks has to sway opinion.
I tried trebles last doggie trip and it's obvious Matsutani doesn't use high drags as all the best trebles I tried just opened up when the pressure really came on.
Wire is a waste of time, use one or two assists with the strongest, or better still doubled up, assist chord and big hooks.

DaveIrving

July 27, 2007, 10:43:57 AM
Have to admit that I cheat when it comes to doggies.....I use at least 2 assist hooks and I have been known to use 4 assist hooks at times...two at the front and two at the back.

Very unsporting but it does work  ;)

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 28, 2007, 12:49:23 AM
I love my granny or overhand knotted loop then wrapped around the shank of the hook. Simple and easy.