Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
multi coloured braid no good for popping?
February 02, 2009, 09:49:26 PM
I was just flicking around on the nomad website this afternoon and found a statement by Damon (I think) that they had suffered several breakages on multi coloured braid at the points where the line changes colour whilst popping. When I bought my second hand dogfight it came loaded with multi coloured 90lb daiwa braid that appears to be good quality line and i havn't had any problems since using it, although after reading this comment I am having thoughts of changing for fear of loosing a good fish. Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: multi coloured braid no good for popping?
February 02, 2009, 10:18:01 PM
My experiences with multi colored braided line with white color at each interval suggest there is nothing wrong with the strength of the line but I do try to avoid the line mentioned due to probable breakage by toothy fish striking the white portion of the line , possibly mistaking it as a small baitfish . Nowaday I prefer to use all white line with red interval @ 25m or coloured lines without the white marking at the interval .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 07:36:13 AM
Jordan, I think the best way I would respond to it is that they have seen a few incidences of unexplained breakages on the multi-coloured line where a slight amount of tension sees a breakage. I would also say that I have seen this on other lines as well including the most expensive casting line on the market, Varivas SMP.

The genesis for that comment came from Jewell Reef when one of the Japanese cast and the line parted without a wind knot. It was an inexplicable breakage. I was satanding next to Masuda San when this happened. I don't know what caused it but I have seen this with all sorts of lines. I would also point out that Masuda's line was hardly new.

Braid does not take nicks well and this could have been caused by damage to the line from a reef.

All of that said, I believe that one should use jigging lines for jigging and casting lines for casting.

For some reason, many Japanese like using multi-coloured line for casting for some reason. It simply does not cast as well as casting braid.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 07:49:53 AM
Hi Brandon, is the Varivas SMP a 'multi' coloured braid or just has coloured markings ?? the reason I'm asking is the YGK Ultra Jigman [4 colours + white] and Ultra Castman [sml black marks at 10m and larger orange at 50m] are supposedly the same braid but with the different makings, so is there a possible problem with all marked braid?
  Bun
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 08:06:34 AM
The SMP is no different to the standard Varivas GT is that it is marked at intervals. Does that make it a coloured braid or just coloured markings?  ???

I have no idea about the YGK line. The comment I made was based around the premise that the Japanese are very much into special application products. If a line is made for jigging, there would be specific qualities I think they would focus on and vice versa re casting lines.

I can't see that there is a specific weakness problem in marked braids, Bun, If there was, this should have been identified years ago as they've been making this stuff for some time.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 08:38:35 AM
The SMP is no different to the standard Varivas GT is that it is marked at intervals. Does that make it a coloured braid or just coloured markings?  ???

Hi Brandon
I thought SMP was a different line to the standard GT ???
See below the lb vs PE rating differnces in the 90lb version...

GT Avani
Weight- 90LB
Diameter- PE 7

SMP
Weight- 90LB
Diameter- PE 6
<*///><

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 08:44:34 AM

Hi Brandon
I thought SMP was a different line to the standard GT ???
See below the lb vs PE rating differnces in the 90lb version...

GT Avani
Weight- 90LB
Diameter- PE 7

SMP
Weight- 90LB
Diameter- PE 6

is that it is marked at intervals
;) ;D

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 01:06:04 PM
Does anyone think solid line colour makes much of a difference when using for popping?
What I mean is would say a yellow braid be more visable to a fish compared to say green braid or generally speaking is it all down to personal preference?
I guess there is always a chance a small toothy fish might spot a knot in the line and mistake it for a small baitfish, so which is the better colour to avoid this maybe? I have experienced a couple of snip offs from small mackeral and couta mainly from swivels tho I think.
I have been using green but have purchased a spool of 100lb in yellow, am I doomed to be snipped off? :o
I also had a spool of coloured jigging braid as a backup for my popping setup but will be transferring that to a dedicated jigging rig especially after reading the comments about the castability of jigging braid :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 01:23:38 PM
thanks Luke

Rob, it is no different as it is marked at different intervals.
It is a different braid.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 02:14:12 PM
Rob, it is no different as it is marked at different intervals.

Oh... now I get what you meant  ::) ;D
<*///><

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 03, 2009, 07:33:37 PM
Hi Warwick. I have used braid in red,green,white,yellow and mulitcolour and have not noticed colour impacting bite offs. I think you should be fine.