Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have long had an interest in chuggers at the lower end of the normal weight range that is used for GT fishing.  And especially those which have a disproportionately large presence for their size.

Would be very interested to hear from other members on this subject.

These are the ones in 120 to 130 gram range which I think have a huge water presence for their weight:

Old Carpenter Seafrog 130 gram Power Popping - big face which moves masses of water and a lot more than the old Seafrog 120 for only an extra 10 grams of weight.

Adhek Venus 125 gram. A big chugger for its weight. Suffers a bit in the chop but in flat conditions it really shifts water and makes a lovely sound.

Heru Cubera 125. Just an amazing little popper. So well balanced that even a novice can rip it hard without too much fear.

Skagit Pump King - not sure of the target weight as they vary a lot, is it 115 grams?  You don't hear too much about these any more but it is IMHO, one of the best balanced poppers ever designed.  Holds the water so well and you can rip the hell out of it.

I should also say that I am absolutely sure that the new dual hook Seafrog 120 will be right up there and probably the ultimate lure in this category. Only thing is, I have not used one in anger yet.
Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:13:47 PM by Mark Harris

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Patriot Design Master Bomb 135g has relatively big cup. not less than Hammer Head E-cup (145g) and Craft Bait GT3 150g for sure. And now They have new model - Master Bomb Big Mouth with even bigger cup. It has 135g version also. Though it is 5 gram heavier than your range max 130g. I do not know for 135g version, because I have not tried it, but I tried Big Mouth 170g one and it raises just crazy height fountains of water!
Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:02:42 PM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Have to agree on the Cubera 125, a great popper

I will also mention the FCL Ebipop EXT 120, easy to work and moves a lot of water.

As well as a favorite for when I'm puffed, the Craftbait GT2 120gram.

Also a cheap lure that works very well, the Halco Roosta Haymaker.
Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:22:56 AM by Ken Best
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Two of the primary reasons why some lures give the impression that they create more "presence" is simply because they are good poppers that stay in the water well AND more importantly, because they are of a size and weight which the angler can actually pop properly.

Some manufacturers have managed to quite cleverly build a bigger popper at a lighter weight (eg. Ebipop Ext, new Sea Frog 120) but the design becomes critical on this otherwise the popper will be too buoyant.

When manufacturers push the barrow on an inverse relationship between size of the lure and the size of the cup, they also create a popper that becomes easier to pull out of the water, particularly in rougher conditions. You don't tend to notice this as much in calmer conditions but in rougher conditions where poppers get tosed around a bit, these lures tend to become unbalanced more easily. Good design will obviously compensate to a degree but there is a limit.

I've seen a heap of lures in the past, many of which are no-names where this equation has gotten to the ridiculous - 130g lures with I Cup sized cups. They swim like dogs the moment there are some waves.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Very good points Brandon, and perhaps I should have made it clear in my initial post that the poppers in question need to swim properly!

From your comments, Ebipop Extreme and the dual hook Seafrog 120 are the ones you would put in this category?  Any others?

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Cubera 125 is mainstream size for me these days!  Maybe I'm a bit of a whoos!

Talking small chuggers though, I reckon the Tuna 100 and skipjack 120 (both from Heru / Nomad / Blackjack stable) are a great option. 

Both have quite small cups, but manage to move an impressive amount of water for their size, and they stick to the water like a wet blanket in 'most' conditions.  They have the added benefit of casting like bullets on PE6 - 8 outfits.  The skipjack is the real surprise, designed more as a skipping lure, it actually chugs really well in the 120 size.

Now for a cup of tea and a lie down!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I'd add the Fullscale Long Kong to the list but there aren't that many poppers in this category in the market

Very good points Brandon, and perhaps I should have made it clear in my initial post that the poppers in question need to swim properly!

From your comments, Ebipop Extreme and the dual hook Seafrog 120 are the ones you would put in this category?  Any others?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks Brandon.

It also seems that Skagit Designs have stopped making larger lures?  I still see their small stickbaits and minnows around the stores, but the superb larger Pump Kings seem to be no more  :( .
Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:57:13 PM by Mark Harris

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hammerhead E-Cup! Light, easy to cast and can still tolerate slighty dirty conditions (depending on retrieve style)....

For shallow water attention, whilst still wanting a large callling splash - this is certainly in the top 3 for me....

Another vote also for CraftBait GT2 & GT3 150g.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Fisherman HP 130 - 150 are also worth considering. Although the durability is not as high as some other offerings.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Those are a bit bigger than I was imagining for this 120-130 gram discussion Luke, but totally agree with you. In their weight class GT3 150 and E-Cup are both great poppers.

Less keen on the Fishermans, but it is really the finish that puts me off (as you allude to). I have had the finish just fall off too many HP tails and Long Pens to ever want to buy another Fisherman lure (bar their plastic stickbaits which seem to be more durable).

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Those are a bit bigger than I was imagining for this 120-130 gram discussion Luke, but totally agree with you. In their weight class GT3 150 and E-Cup are both great poppers.

Less keen on the Fishermans, but it is really the finish that puts me off (as you allude to). I have had the finish just fall off too many HP tails and Long Pens to ever want to buy another Fisherman lure (bar their plastic stickbaits which seem to be more durable).

Yup, you are right! I read a bit too quick neglecting the weights  ::)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Who knows with Japanese manufacturers?! Fisherman bought back the Krog Bigmouth after something like six years1

Thanks Brandon.

It also seems that Skagit Designs have stopped making larger lures?  I still see their small stickbaits and minnows around the stores, but the superb larger Pump Kings seem to be no more  :( .

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hammerhead C and D cup (I love anything to do with a C cup or D cup), cubera 125, Ebipop Ext 120 and Craftbait GT2 all definitely happy performers for me. Especially love the GT2 and C cup, cast like bullets and super easy to work properly to get some water shifting

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
You mean the GT2 120 gram Scott?  Definitely casts very well (as does the 150) and bloops beautifully in calm conditions. It is a bit of fair water friend though I find, and tends to skew easily and even cartwheel when the conditions get a bit choppy.

I have never used any Hammerhead smaller than a E Cup, so really appreciate the heads up on the smaller ones....
Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:10:56 PM by Mark Harris