Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Home made stickbaits
July 14, 2012, 09:06:27 PM
Hey guys and gals (do we have any gals on here???),

A few months ago I bit the bullet and decided to try making my own stickbaits - something slow sinking or suspending, to get just below the surface and tantalise the GTs when they were not keen on the surface heroics  ;D

Anyway after some prototypes and a fair amount of testing lately, things are looking good.  The process is getting more streamlined with every lure but at this stage I am only making enough for me and a few mates here and there.  Each one is made of tassie oak and takes around 3 hours each from blank wood to final coat of etex.

Big thanks to Sam (RAL) and the guys from 360tuna for the greatest lure building forum around!

Fusie

Emo Nemo

Casado

Baby Trout

Xavi - the little spanish maestro  :P
Focus on the pop

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Home made stickbaits
July 14, 2012, 09:41:03 PM
Andrew,

They look great!

Congratulations. It must be very satisfying to catch a good fish on your own lure

Regards,

Trevor

Jon Viney

• Fusilier
  • Fishing is a way of life!
  • Liked:
July 14, 2012, 09:45:18 PM
Nice work! GT's are going to smoke them.

joe sciberras

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 30, 2012, 07:33:37 PM
Great finish ,looks like top shelf material ....joey

Andrew Walker

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 01, 2012, 11:48:21 PM
They look very professsional Andrew!

I have have made stuff on a lathe for years (non fishing related) and have just started to turn a few poppers but havent got the hardware delivered yet to move forward to the next step.  What wood did you use and have you tried making any poppers yet?

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 11:52:15 AM
Hey Andrew, they look fantastic.  The Coral Trout pattern is an interesting one: do you think little trout regularly feature in the diet of GTs? I would never have even thought of the possibility, but I suppose GTs are opportunistic feeders, so maybe you're right.

Also, what clear finish are you using? Most of the guys on the 360tuna forum seem to use Envirotex epoxy, but I could never find any local supplies of the stuff here in Brisbane. I use a similar product called aristocrat, but it's obviously not designed for marine use, nor is it very durable coping with the crushing bites of GTs  :-\

To demonstrate, you can see on the attached pic that in the case of my creations, the top clear coat tends to start flaking away after only a few fish....

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Angus

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 07:16:38 PM
Andrew, no I haven't started on the poppers yet... but it is going to happen soon.  I want to speak to someone who has a lathe and get some tips for how to set myself up for it, and also what wood to use.  These stickbaits are made from tassie oak and it is quite dense.  I will probably start with pine for the poppers and see if I can get some cedar or birch later on.  The lifespan of GT lures is such that it is a bit of a waste of time sourcing really fancy wood when I am confident with the durability and long lifespan of the epoxy coating.

Which brings me to Angus's question.  Yes, I use envirotex lite and it is exceptional.  I haven't put it to long term use on fish damage but we have hit rocks with these stickbaits and the finish is very damage resistant.  Everyone who picks up the lures makes comment on how smooth they are.

I can't remember where I got it from but here is an Australian seller:

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_864

There are some tricks to using it... which I picked up from the 360tuna forum and also time spent using it:

* Mix it in small batches - I use a plastic disposable shot glass, held to the table with a bit of bluetac under the base.  4mL of total resin is enough for a thick coat on one of my lures.

* When mixing it, measure out accurately using plastic syringes - rod building ones are best.  Avoid the black rubber plunger ones as they will react slightly with the epoxy and create little dimples in your finish.

* I use a decent quality 12mm paintbrush to paint it on, then squeeze out all the excess when I am done, and wash the brush in MEK.

* After the lure is varnished, I put it under spring tension in a small rotisserie to rotate for about 3 hours with a small ceramic heat lamp that keeps the lure at about 30 deg C.  After 3 hours, you can hang it vertically without risk of the epoxy running.

* The coats dry to a 'barely tacky' finish after about 9 hours like this.  If you don't use the heater, you will need to rotate them a bit longer and hang them for about 12 hours, depending how cold it is.

* The best time to apply a second coat is when the first one has just dried, otherwise you might have to rough it up a little with fine grade sandpaper.  I have not bothered with this step on a few lures and have not noticed any delamination effects after prolonged use.

I highly recommend that 360tuna lure building forum, there are guys on there who produce the best quality finishes in the world and are happy to share information.   ;D
Focus on the pop

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 07:18:14 PM
Oh and as far as the little trout pattern goes... not sure if the GTs eat them much, but I know we catch an awful lot of them if we fish plastics or bait on the reef, so they are very common... plus the pattern looks pretty cool  8)

I plan on giving it a good swim this weekend around some big coral formations and ledges so we shall see if it can work some magic for me  ::)
Focus on the pop

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 08:58:13 PM
Andrew, send to KONA!!!!haha

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 09:47:06 PM
They look very professional Andrew. Well done.

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 03, 2012, 04:49:14 PM
Nathan, send me your postal address and I will make sure you get one... make sure you specify the colour you want too!

I would like to beef up the wire though, Charles showed me what happens to normal gauge wire with your crazy drag settings  :o
Focus on the pop

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 04, 2012, 12:33:35 PM
Wassup Andrew, your lures are looking mighty fine! If you could make one all black with a touch of shiny red on it, that would be the nutz. For some reason here in Kona, the GT hit all black more than anything.
Glad to see you guys are whacking some fish on your own plugs, awesome stuff. Hopefully we can put some giants on the rocks and in the boat with your lures out here too. There's a spot down south that would be perfect to throw your stickbait from the lava rocks that hold some monsters.

Good work on fishing in the Kona T-shirt by the way.

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 04, 2012, 11:53:42 PM
They look just amazing! Im sure ill start building something myself one day! Great job!

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
August 09, 2012, 09:54:06 AM
Howzit Andrew,

Haven't been on here in a little while just saw your lures. Our boat is still down for maintenance. Work, weddings, and kids are out of school so been entertaining them and thats been cutting into the big game fishing lately so the fish have been getting a break. Lures Look great how big are they? The Uluas in my backyard like "Hamma Size Lures" lol. Id like to test one out too! You need my address or you still got it?  ;D

Hawaii Slang Dictionary- "Hamma"= Big   example- That GT is one Hamma!  ;)

Aloha
GT FIGHT CLUB

Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 09, 2012, 04:40:17 PM
Top notch mate! The finish is prime to. Waiting to see the first beast leave some teeth marks in them. Can't be any sweeter catching a good fish on your own lures.