Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This would have to be my favourite weight range for poppers (I spend far too much time fishing stick-baits, I'm out of shape!)

From a design point of view this is what interests me "good poppers that stay in the water well AND more importantly, because they are of a size and weight which the angler can actually pop properly" It makes sense to me to concentrate efforts in this area...

Here's a shot from earlier today... This is a 130g popper I have been working on since last year, I am getting there slowly but there is no rush. Working on ticking the boxes from Brandon's quote above, and hopefully I'll have a 'heavyweight' without feeling the burn for my next GT popping excursion!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Good luck Sam.

As you will see from this discussion there are relatively few lures out there that fit this description.  I think more and more GT anglers are interested in this end of the chugger market. Certainly the newer rod developments would support that assertion.

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
How does it go with a bit of swell or rough like conditions Sam?

Chris Dennis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Another vote for the Halco Roosta Haymaker 195 - cheap, effective and bulletproof. If we had any GT's off the coast here in Dubai there wouldn't be any other choice to make, especially if there are any US warships in the vicinity.................... ::)

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
How does it go with a bit of swell or rough like conditions Sam?

Yet to find out George, I may get out this Sunday, we have had a large ground swell running but the weather is pretty settled as it's winter... But the lure will go to Tonga in August for a proper test session, they have been struggling with some frustrating winds so it may be good for that side of the testing.

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Good luck Sam.

As you will see from this discussion there are relatively few lures out there that fit this description.  I think more and more GT anglers are interested in this end of the chugger market. Certainly the newer rod developments would support that assertion.

Thanks Mark  8)

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Heru - GT Mania, (130gm) similar to the older Jai big head. The GT mania has a lot of presence and has seen some minor refinements more recently. I really like this lure. I also second votes on the Heru - Tuna 100, and skipjack 120gm, always in my bag.
Set the ray to GeeT

Scott Maybury

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
You mean the GT2 120 gram Scott?  Definitely casts very well (as does the 150) and bloops beautifully in calm conditions. It is a bit of fair water friend though I find, and tends to skew easily and even cartwheel when the conditions get a bit choppy.

I have never used any Hammerhead smaller than a E Cup, so really appreciate the heads up on the smaller ones....

Yeah the GT2 that is 120gm or so. I don't have too much trouble with it in sloppy water provided you time your bloops and keep the rod tip lowish. It can skip a bit but it is so easy to get working again that it is not a big drama. The benefit with these smaller poppers is you can work them with the rod tip low and to the side without too much effort so you can keep them in the water easily

The smaller hammerheads are really nice, I like the C cup a lot