Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Camera
July 25, 2012, 09:11:06 PM
I'm a canon man all the way. I don't shoot that much so for SLR Iwent the step down from Andrew - 60D. It doesn't have everything the 7D has but it's still got more than I'll ever use and it's a bit over a grand cheaper. I'd love the 7D but I also use mine for enduro dirtbike riding so I bump it around a bit, and it won't take much for me to come off and land on it!

Forget buying the kits. Go body only & pick the lenses you want. 1k for the body and budget about 600-1,000 per lense for reasonable stuff. For good gear you can shell out $2,3+k per lens but that doesn't make sense on a camera that price.  Your fish eye shots come from a purpose built fish eye lens.

My advice is to do at least a 1 or 2 day course to learn to understand what the settings are and how to use the camera. It's also important to understand what the lense numbers mean in order to choose the right lense.
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 25, 2012, 11:08:16 PM
Price of a Canon EOS 7D = 2 Stellas!

Ha ha yeah, don't look at accessorising with L series lenses then Mark  ;D

I think I will stick with a compact :)

And seriously, if anyone feels up for answering my earlier enquiry on that, then I would very grateful.  Are the so-called high end compacts worth the extra $200 to $300?

Gary Krol

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 25, 2012, 11:39:03 PM
Price of a Canon EOS 7D = 2 Stellas!

Ha ha yeah, don't look at accessorising with L series lenses then Mark  ;D

I think I will stick with a compact :)

And seriously, if anyone feels up for answering my earlier enquiry on that, then I would very grateful.  Are the so-called high end compacts worth the extra $200 to $300?

For point and shoots, best one I have used is the current one I have, paid around $240 for a new Samsung TL350 a year or 2 ago, shoots full HD video, RAW, can do fish eye effects, panorama, etc, about the only thing lacking is being able to put on a big lens.  Already out of production since they have to keep filling the shelves with "new" product

My advice is to find an out of production point and shoot that has been proven/rated superior.  The newest ones are often not the best.  I still use a 10 year old Fuji Finepix F31d for indoor no flash shots because it has one of the best low light sensors ever in a point and shoot.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 25, 2012, 11:57:38 PM
Thank you Gary and it sounds like you know a bit about cameras.

From what you are saying the extra cash for something like a new Canon G Series is not really worth it?  I do take the point that the compact market moves so damn fast as they keep having to punch out new models and new often is not better. Reminds me of the low end mobile phone market.

My needs are simple - good quality point and shoot record shots.

Gary Krol

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 26, 2012, 03:29:40 AM
Thank you Gary and it sounds like you know a bit about cameras.

From what you are saying the extra cash for something like a new Canon G Series is not really worth it?  I do take the point that the compact market moves so damn fast as they keep having to punch out new models and new often is not better. Reminds me of the low end mobile phone market.

My needs are simple - good quality point and shoot record shots.

I know a bit, literally :D , but have had many point and shoots due to my wife or the person she gives it to to take photos at parties wedding and such dropping it every few years.  Learned that more money doesn't mean better shots, and have used dpreview website to get a starting point for picking stuff out.  So we take the $125 Fuji when we go to weddings or other events and need fast shots out of flash range in a dimly lit room because it does it better than the $350 Canon we had at one point and about equal to the TL350, which does everything else better - this is all using the "Auto" mode but that is the point.  You definitely don't need more than 10 megapixels.  It's not like computers where they keep writing more cumbersome software that requires more speed and power, 5 year old technology in digital cameras should be just fine if all the features you want are there especially if you don't need the HD video

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
July 26, 2012, 08:46:04 AM
Mark

If you are half an enthusiast (which most fisherman are) the G series and similar offer significant benefits. In considering a new purchase I rate the following functions in order of preference (which is why I selected the G series for a compact.  BTW I run a mid size and large size SLR from the Nikon stable as well - but often reach for the G series when travel or weather conditions come into play.

1) Must Shoot RAW (to allow proper post production adjustments)
2) Ergonomics - I opt for dial controls of ISO, Apperture and Exposure (not lengthy menus) to allow fast intuitive adjustments.
3) ability to fit external flash (IE a hot shoe) to allow off camera flash - very impotant for quality close ups.
4) Accessories - ability to fit filter (particularly polarising) and telephoto / fish eye extension tubes (and these are relative cheap for this series).
5) Usable zoom range and apperture range.
6) Usable ISO range (for low light).

The G series can be a bit limited in the aperture range (particularly at full zoom), and they do not perform greatly at under 100 ISO (get a bit grainy) - this is compared to a mid range SLR, but are a damn sight better than the compact competitors.

At the end of the day the ergonomics and ease of setting adjustments of the G series wins out for me in the compact range - oh, and it shoots video and has matching underwater housings to boot.

Cheers

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 03, 2012, 08:06:35 PM
I've got the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 fitted with a 8gb card takes 600+ pictures.
Best little point and shoot camera I've had it also has gps fitted so you where you where when you took the pictures.
Now available in oz for under 320bucks less than the price of a Shimano saragosa

Lars Nielsen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 19, 2012, 02:48:00 AM
It is so worth it to make a little effort for good pics. You only catch a fish once, but a great picture will be enjoyed hundreds, sometimes thousands of times.

If you want really good pictures but do not have an unlimited budget, you will get the most bang for your buck by getting a used, previous version of a semi-professional camera. I use a Canon 5D mk I, while the current version is the mk III. You can get one of those for like between a third and a fifth of the price of one of the new ones. You will have to do without the video option of the new versions, but the quality of the pictures is just incredible. I know several guys who own the new models, and they still talk about the quality of the mk I.  :)

For the trophy pics, you should get a wide angle like a 17-40L. Most guys do not use polaroid filters anymore as you can add color saturation in your editing program. But of course you need a UV filter for lens protection.

A semi-pro camera gives you a picture quality you cannot get with a consumer model, but note that a camera like that does not have an inbuilt flash. So you need an external flash. In popping trophy pics, usually you will need fill-in flash to avoid loud shadows.

All in all, this means you will be carrying around a relatively large camera. I carry mine in a waterproof hardcase, a Nanuk 915 - it is like a Peli Case. This has made a world of difference, because no matter the elements, I can keep my camera close at all times, armed and ready. Airline companies usually routinely accepts a hardcase like that as an extra piece of hand luggage, so you get a little bit more space in your usual bag where you would normally keep your camera.
Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:54:14 AM by Lars Nielsen

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 24, 2012, 05:04:50 PM
Update...

As it turns out I never had to choose a camera, I was heading out to take some photo's of the boat for my sign-writer to get some new graphics made up, looking for the camera I was surprised when my wife and daughter handed over an early Father's Day present... I guess they figured it out when I dragged them around the airport looking at cameras on a recent trip  ;D

Anyway I now have a Fuji Film FinePix S2980. It came in a pack, with a protective carry bag, small tripod, 2GB SD card and charger/batteries. Pretty good value IMO for $310NZD. (Came with Energizer Batteries and charger, not Eveready as pictured)

Pretty impressed so far, need to fully read the manual and start playing yet.

(Mark, being a point and shoot guy like myself this kind of camera is good in Auto mode... really makes things easy)

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 24, 2012, 05:31:07 PM
Greetings
Simon

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 18, 2012, 04:09:48 PM
I now use a Canon 50D with a wide angle 10-20mm lens. Because of the sensor not being to the level of the top pro camreas like a 5D or 1D the lense actually shoots from 14mm-20mm so I get a great wide angle shot but it does not have to much curvature like the fish eye I used to use.

Hi Nick, just going through this thread as I've been reading up on a lot of photography related info in the lead up to my next camera purchase. I think what you've written here is a bit incorrect from my understanding, a 10-20mm lense is still a 10-20mm lense whether it's on a crop image sensor or full frame camera and it still shoots at 10-20mm. You need to take into account the crop factor when comparing APS-C lenses to full frame camera lenses and this is 1.6x on Canon.  This means that your 10-20mm lense on your 50D will be shooting at 10-20mm but due to the sensor size would be the 'equivalent' of shooting with a 16-32mm (which is regarded as Ultrawide on a FX camera) on a full frame like the 5D... I think this is what you're trying to say?

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 19, 2012, 12:11:23 AM
Hi,

My fishing cameras :
1. Canon G12 ==>with underwater casing
2. All Weather Waterproof Nikon AW-100 ==> just point and shoot

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/g12.htm
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_aw100_review/

juz my 2 cents

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 19, 2012, 07:46:08 AM
Taking a Go Pro HD Hero 2 to S Oman in a week or so - will be interesting to see the output!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 19, 2012, 03:09:41 PM
Another great topic, the site has been on fire lately with information and thoughts, hopefully it continues! For me I basically tell my guides and team that if we don't get a picture of the fish then it has not been caught. To be honest in this day and age of fast moving media and content it is definitely a case of a picture speaks a thousand words. I love my Canon 50D and also use a Olympus TG-810 for when we fishing on the beaches, in the water etc. I'm no pro when it comes to cameras but learning all the time and have been getting better over the years.

Hi Jay and Amr, Appreciate the explanations, gives me a better understanding of the camera. I can see I've still got a way to go to use the camera to its full capacity! Jay what camera you looking at? I always get asked what cameras I suggest and usually recommend what I as I know it works.

Hi Alex, Look forward to your trip, Trevor and Wayne are firing to go! I'll also take down my Go Pro, it takes awesome clips. I'm also waiting for the new remote for the Go Pro so I can remotely start the cameras and not have to manually go and switch on the cameras, great for mounting the cameras on the boat and can link them all up to start at the same time when the action starts from different angles!
This is a clip I filmed all on Go Pro of my Dads trip in January 12
Even got a bit of camera taking action.........

Cheers,
Nick

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 20, 2012, 04:33:09 PM
Another great topic, the site has been on fire lately with information and thoughts, hopefully it continues!

This is a side-effect of people not going on enough trips lately  ;D

I have just purchased a Nikon D600 and a Nikon 24-85mm VR... as a 'can do everything' walk around lense. I will probably add a Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 for more specific wide-angle shooting of fish etc later on down the track. Looking forward to using the full frame and experimenting more with the cameras manual settings.