Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Knot - Cairns Quickie
March 11, 2008, 08:38:43 AM
I was wondering whether any of you use this knot? I'm asking becasue I can't seem to get it to bite and it slips on me. I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what it is. It feels like the knot is snug and secure and then when I put it to the test, I seem to always manage to compromise the knot.

This article also shows how the Nomad guides attach the twisted leader. I don't use this method myself.

The Cairns Quickie is set out on http://www.nomadsportfishing.com.au/nsa_mages-video_pages/nsa_imagesvideo_magazinearticles.htm

Pick the second article from the bottom "Sportsfishing Magazine USA June 2007" and go to the second last page (numbered as page 67)
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Knot - Cairns Quickie
March 11, 2008, 09:21:45 AM
I've had no problems using this diagram: http://www.gtpopping.com/cairnsquickie.php

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 11, 2008, 12:10:36 PM
Hi Brandon,

I, like Luke, use this knot with great success. I use up to 130lb single leader and it pulls down very nicley, just lube it up and pull down tightly. I do it slightly differently to the diagram though, however the outcome is the same great knot. I like to wrap it up the bimini loop 7 times then come back down the same way 7 times and then pull it up, quick and easy. I especially like this knot because under extreme loads the braid will cut through the leader, great when you hook up to the wreck you are jiggin over in 100 meters of water and you dont want to loose any of that expensive Dugong killing braid.

8)

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
March 11, 2008, 05:38:35 PM
Hi Brandon
I too have been using this knot for a while, I have found you have to vary the number of twist's according to what type/brand of line used,Also vary twist's according to size of leader, eg light leader =more twists. However I have had no end of drama's with slippage from 1 particular flourocarben. I don't use this not any more for that material.

Chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 12, 2008, 01:48:09 PM
bloody hell, it still doesn't work for me!
I'll get you to show me what you do next time I visit, Chris

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 12, 2008, 02:48:47 PM
What's not working, are you ending up with rolled over loops or is it just not pulling down tight - if it is the latter then it may be that you do need to snap or jerk it down not pull it slowley together. I am only guessing but I hope it helps.

bloody hell, it still doesn't work for me!
I'll get you to show me what you do next time I visit, Chris

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 14, 2008, 11:53:55 PM
I had a few slip on me too until I worked out how many turns work with what lb leaders. For me, the trick seems to be to put a little tension on the braid loop and the leaders tag going thru it, whilst pulling up the rest of the knot. Experiment, but doing this helps the leader to start to spin around all your braid turns much earlier and this seems to make the knot more reliable than when it all just spirals into place at the end. This knots also called the bristol yeah? If it is, I've seen it recommended with as few as 7 braid turns/wraps in a few places.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 17, 2008, 08:02:52 AM
thanks Sam, I managed to work it out on the weekend. It's not always easy getting the leader to roll up properly but with a bit of practice, I've gotten better at it.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 17, 2008, 08:46:35 AM
I have had to form the knot a few times until completely happy [through slippage] when pulling the knot up, I found this slight variation which may help which is putting a couple of twists on the leader before tightening.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/tonyjones.shtml
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 17, 2008, 10:41:21 PM
thats a great clip. Yeah, those leader turns that run opposite to the braid turns are a neat trick. Does anyone know how this knot compares to the albright/bristol knot for strength?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2008, 04:15:40 PM
I'm going to have to get a scale so I can get a more accurate reading. I managed to break it at the know when testing it

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 17, 2008, 01:00:11 PM
Late reply here so may not be needed.
I have tied this no worries with relatively soft leader material.  I reckon if your using heavy FC or 10X it may not want to play fair.
Start the knot slowly and then a sharp tug to finish it helps it roll up snug.

cheers Dave

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2008, 07:51:28 PM
I was actually trying to tie this on the weekend just past with light fluorocarbon. I just could not get the knot to bite. It'd roll up beautifully but from there, it would just keep slipping.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 09, 2008, 08:06:23 PM
How many wraps of braid are you doing ? I do about 12 in the heavier lines and it holds well. But I cant get this knot to work in the really really light line classes (4-6kg). The leader slips right through.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 09, 2008, 09:01:33 PM
I am using twelve turns on the braid, Andrew.