Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Knot - Cairns Quickie
June 21, 2008, 08:21:00 AM
Brandon

I don't use this knot at all on fluorocarbon, I have had the same probs as you with it sliping, and it happens with all different sizes of fluoro & braid, must be something about the surface coatings on fluoro lines

It might work for some of you but I don't trust it

Chris

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
July 23, 2008, 05:35:58 PM
I've never had the knot fail in actual use (I've only used it with softbaits and lighter line) but I've had quite few let go when testing in my shed. I've switched to the Roddy Hayes/ Tony Pena knot I was recently introduced to on a NZ jigging forum - 100% line strength and easy to tie. I use it now instead of the PR knot to join mainline to leader.
Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:38:23 PM by Trevor Williams

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 23, 2008, 11:16:27 PM
any chance of putting up a link to that knot Trevor

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
July 24, 2008, 06:44:58 AM
http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/user-tips/tony-peqa-spectra-knot-21967.html

I changed it a little in that I tie a bimini in the braid first and use the doubled braid for the knot. Also I leave the tag end on the mono a little longer and tie it close against the mainline using the tag end of the braid bimini and a Rizutto finishing knot (same way I do a Bimini- see geoff wilson's book of knots)
Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:47:32 AM by Trevor Williams

Trevor Williams

• Fusilier
  • aka The Rod Baron
  • Liked:
July 24, 2008, 07:04:42 AM
more pics

This is how my finished knot looks.

Brandon, I 'm not trying to hijack your thread-- it looked as if you had your answer already so I took a chance that you wouldn't mind the diversion.
Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:31:41 PM by Trevor Williams

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 05, 2008, 09:21:43 AM
I have been playing with this knot lately (the cairns quickie) especially because it is quick! It looks good with heavier lines, however on the lighter line classes and casting/working lures with jerks and pauses i have had the knot untie?? I have been using fluro carbon and trimming the tag fairly short. Not sure if this would be a problem with a non fluro c leader. To overcome this dilemma I have been leaving a long tag when tying the knot, then with the tag tie a uni knot or similar back onto the leader. This has also helped it travel thru the guides when casting also. It shouldn't affect the strength of the knot, its just a means of dealing with the tag reducing the chance of the tag slipping out from the braid loop.
I expect this to not be a problem when using heavier softer lines.

Has anyone had similar problems? ???

here are some pics of the way i have been finishing it with 10lb braid and 20lb leader.

Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:27:26 PM by Warwick

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2008, 01:53:10 PM
not at all, Trevor. thanks for posting the illustrations.
If it swims; I want to catch it!