Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tackle Shops In Hong Kong
March 28, 2008, 12:22:23 PM
Hi. I will be for the next few days. Does anyone know of good tackle stores I can pick up some heavy popping gear from?
Thanks

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Tackle Shops In Hong Kong
March 28, 2008, 12:58:31 PM
Hi Sachin

I actually found it difficult finding heavy popping tackle in Hong Kong. I only managed to find two stores in Hong Kong island. One was Triton and I can't remember the name of the other.

They had a very limited stock of popping equipment although the store I do not remember the name of had a small stock of Fisherman poppers.

Triton had a big store in Wan Chai but there will not be much of interest there to you. It's not easy to find either. Just remember it's actually on the first floor and the entrance is nothing more than a stairway.

If you're walking, just remember many of the streets are alomst uncrossable so focus on the walkways.

Singapore leaves Hong Kong for dead in terms of popping tackle.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Ian Young

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 29, 2008, 03:02:58 AM
Brandon is right, there's not as great a selection on heavy popping tackle as in other parts of Asia. Nevertheless, here's a cut-and-paste of something I posetd on another site in response to a similar question. Hope it's of use...

I live in HK, and yes, there are some decent tackle shops. The biggest is probably Triton Fishing Equipment which has a bunch of branches...them main one though is about halfway up Ship St, in Wan Chai. They don't speak much English but are otherwise pretty helpful...checkout the fishing photo boards, which prove that there are still some fish in HK waters. http://www.tritonhk.com/contact.html ...Get off the MTR train at Wan Chai station, exit A3, cross Johnston Rd then walk west (right) along Johnston Road for about 250m...Ship St is on the left.

You'll generally get better service, in English too, at Po Kee Tackle at 6 Hillier St, Sheung Wan...ask for Virgil... www.pokeetackle.com . Heaps of little bream-style lures and mini poppers (ecogears and other swanky jap brands for just A$5-A$7 !! ), as well as some high-end stuff. Get out at Sheung Wan MTR station, exit A2. This my fave shop, cos I've known Virgil a while.

Last but not least is a tiny shop whose name I don't even know. To find it, get off the MTR train at Wan Chai, exit A3, then cross Johnston Road and turn right...walk 20 or 30 metres and you'll come to Tai Yuen St (which is a little street market)...walk down Tai Yuen St only a few metres and on your right you'll see a tiny alley way. The shop is in a doorway about halfway down the alley (it's very dodgy looking, but don't worry)...go up the stairs. No English, but some interesting gear...I picked up a Shimano Twinpower 8000PG there for about A$310 recently. They also stock big Stellas (the japanese SW models, incl spare spools I think) with a list price of about A$810 ...but don't quote me on this.

Now is a great time to be shopping in HK, what with the strong Aussie $. By the way, none of these shops have a street-level shop, just a doorway, with the shops upstairs...they are easy to miss if you aren't careful. And they generally don't open until noon.

Best of luck
Ian

Sachin Chaudhry

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 31, 2008, 11:22:07 PM
Thanks guys. To be honest the shops were quite a disappointment as far as heavy popping gear went. No real GT rods and a very small selection of poppers. Found some Varivas 400lb split rings cheap though.

Scott Anderson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 24, 2009, 04:32:06 PM
Sorry for digging up old post but Im new here

I live in Hong Kong and the best shop for popper/jig gear is
http://www.sevenislands.com.hk/wordpress/????/
If you click on the hot new link (left side) it will give a run down on new stuf

Ando

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 24, 2009, 05:14:19 PM
Scott, thanks a lot for that. Noone has ever mentioned that store before. I would liked to have visited it on my last trip.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
June 24, 2009, 06:06:37 PM
Its on my to do list when I go to Hong Kong later this year.  :)

roberts kurpnieks

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 24, 2012, 01:03:57 PM
Hey guys. Im going to Hong Kong in couple of days and i want to buy a carpenter rod and stella 18k... Do you think it is possible there now?
I cant find much... Hmmm

Thanks!

Robert

Graham Blackmore

• Fusilier
  • fisherman first diver second
  • Liked:
July 25, 2012, 12:10:10 AM
Carpenter Rd no chnace - 18K stella you can but look up seven islands (simon sze ming cheung on FB) and ask him first - his website is listed above.

You can try Triton (who are now in Sheung Wan) and also Pokee Tackle.  In fact Seven Islands, Triton and Pokee are about 10min walk from each other. Usually only Seven Islands has GT popping stuff but you be lucky and find some in Triton or Pokee