Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Destination Suggestions
August 01, 2012, 10:54:28 PM
Hello all

Myself and a mate are planning a fishing holiday for 2013, although we've done some research we're finding it hard to decide on a location. I wondered if I could get some suggestions?

The criteria:
Around 2 weeks duration, time of year is fairly flexible but probably after April/May

Here's the catch - Fishing would be mainly land based with the option of 2-3 boat trips
Hoping to connect with some decent sport fish, (not necessarily monsters); GTs, Jacks, Snapper, Barracuda etc from the shore

Cost - We have around 3k each to spend (inc flights from U.K) so it won't be the Maldives or Bahamas! Accommodation can be fairly basic to free up money for the fishing

We considered Africa; Gabon, Madagascar, Mozambique for example because I heard the shore fishing could be good but my previous (limited) experience of Africa tells me it can be quite pricey? East coast of India or possibly as far as S.E Asia might be an option...?

Thanks much!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Destination Suggestions
August 01, 2012, 11:40:35 PM
Is that 3K pounds or dollars?  Whichever, it will limit you a fair bit  I think but  I hope it is pounds!

You can forget land-based in Southeast Asia for any spots that are cheap or easy to get to.  There are great land-based spots, but they are remote and expensive to reach.

I reckon Africa is the go for you and there are members here who will surely have some ideas.

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 12:24:55 AM
Thankfully it's GBP and we could possibly stretch to 4k, (we've both had to fork out for weddings this year)!

Once again, very helpful. Thanks Mark.

T

Serge de Bruijn

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 12:31:57 AM
No Gt's but for 2k each you can have an excellent trip to the Florida Keys with shore and DIY boat fishing, chartered trips also available.

Plenty of fish... anything from small snapper to XXL Hammerhead sharks  ;) Tarpon will be there as well.

Cheap (= easily accessible) and good shorefishing do not go hand in hand very often is my (limited) experience...

Good luck !

Serge.

Tom Baskaya

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 12:41:45 AM
Good tip! Thanks Serge.

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 02, 2012, 01:47:58 AM
As a Uk based angler try this site and go to Cuba unless you have already been.
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/55-Caribbean