Michael Tweedie

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ledge fishing rods for Tuna?
July 15, 2014, 09:47:14 AM
G'day man, I also the oti tuna sniper 40-60 long cast popping rod, which is 8'6
belts 85- 110 gram perfect, but I only run a Stella 8000, so a bigger size reel might b
Overkill on this rod, this setup is defiantly overkill for blues and spanairds though, so have jumped
Down to a 3500 certate which is perfect and good fun, cheers hope this helps

I think I may have changed my mind slightly. I have a 16k spool on the way for my 8k SW. So I might lean towards that reel as opposed to my 18k. Purely for the ease of casting. The 18k is paired with an 802XH Demon Blood so I may just leave those 2 together to cast a Pencil or Stickbait. And pair the 16k with a new rod.

Any idea where I can get one if these OTIs at a good price?

Why not just use the stella 8k with 30 or 40Lb braid? Ample line capacity and light enough to cast all day, matched with something akin to the blue sniper that was just sold and you'd be laughing (I wanted to buy that rod for this purpose but missed my chance). Unless you're fishing somewhere that is ultra sharky you really shouldn't need to fish such heavy gear.

Mick

Mick
Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:50:02 AM by Michael Tweedie

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 04, 2014, 04:06:26 PM
I have the Blackhole 106 H and L for shore casting.
Matched with Stella 8k & 10K 40lb and 60lb JB braid.
For working from bricks where the 106 is too long the Blackhole 8.6 will get the job.
All three rods are light and cast like a dream.

Alex Gomez

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 28, 2015, 11:59:52 PM
You could try the Shimano Blue Fin Tuna S86M. Or at more cost I think the Carpenter OMA rods are for tuna and are 9'6.

Or you could try the new Shimano Ocea offshore series, they have a stickbait version?

Cheers

AG

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 31, 2015, 02:35:33 AM
Old thread, but why not keep it going to discuss new (and old) rods that fit the bill?

Had a cast with the S86M. It's overkill for land based longtail tuna, well suited as a kingy stickbait/allround topwater rod though. Unusually nice rod for a shimano!

I bought the RF Aquila 85 recently (the one Sydney recommended) and it's close to perfection for medium heavy land based fishing at spots where you don't need too much clearance! It has a soft tip to cast 60g-100g really well, with a fast taper (handy for clearance and dictating terms land based) and a lot of power down low. The rating is realistic with pe4-6. I hooked two good kings on it, one landed and it handled 10kg drag (conservatively) well. Even though powerful it's still a lightish rod in physical weight coming in at only 340g (most similar rods are about 380-400g). You have to be careful not to bash it around on the rocks though, especially when climbing around...I'm just ordering a new one... :( ;)

For a long medium heavy LB rod (10'4, pe4-6) I just got an MC Works Raging Bull 104XF-2. Rated 40-140g. Will give it a good workout this season and report.