Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ledge fishing rods for Tuna?
August 08, 2012, 05:24:23 PM
Looking for a rod around 8'6" that would be good for throwing metals/stickbaits/poppers for Blues and maybe Spanyids off the stones. Any ideas/suggestions? I understand that the Saltiga TN80's are a popular rod but was looking at something slightly longer. Pairing it with a Stella 18k and 40lb Tuf Line XP. So not super heavy gear. Already have a Demon Blood 82XH which is paired with the Stella at the moment for popping. Possibly a bit bulky for casting lures to 100g. Any info would be great!

John Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Ledge fishing rods for Tuna?
August 13, 2012, 01:26:04 AM
Try a temple reef black devil 100. 8'6" from memory, PE4 and slings 85 raiders all day no probs. my mate has one and loves it to death. i have the black devil 200 for stickbaiting hoods off the stones. at the moment i use a 10'6" nano black hole for chucking chrome and pencils for blues but i plan on getting a BD100 in the future as my second rod.
the bd100 pairs perfectly with a Stella 10k, but would still be ok with a 18k i guess.
You can get them as a rod or you can buy the blanks from jdm tackle

Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 13, 2012, 08:16:00 AM
Thanks for that. Will definitely look into it. Do you know of any reviews of the 100?

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 13, 2012, 10:39:13 AM
My missus has a ripplefisher in the Aquila 85 Shichiri custom lures 40-100gr up to pe6 that we run 80lbs on 5000 sized saltiga and belt out heavier metal lures on this rod is a dream to cast

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 13, 2012, 11:06:01 AM
Try the Carpenter HLTN-87 PE5-6 tuna rod (if you can find one), this is by far the best medium weight casting rod I have tried, lures from 55gm to 110gm will fly a long way.
Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:11:29 AM by Andy Rowe
Set the ray to GeeT

Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 13, 2012, 11:39:41 AM
Both of those rods look up to the task. After researching a bit I would say the Black Devil 200 would match an 18k Stella a bit more then the 100. Plus it is rated at PE 6 and ultimately I am aiming for the same performance as the TN80 (PE 6), just longer.

I will keep researching the above mentioned rods but still after more suggestions.

Thanks heaps!

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 13, 2012, 01:02:14 PM
I have saltiga tn80 also and gt86 both great rods for Landbased work the aquila is longer than the tn80 and lighter but i do have the custom option so its ultra shiny the standard option is half price to custom but double to the tn80
High end dollar rod the patriot design tuna range with a couple of 9 footers in there stable, that should suit the line class and lure size
Duncan from fishheds is a great help for above rods

Mitch James

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 16, 2012, 06:27:41 AM
G'day man, I also the oti tuna sniper 40-60 long cast popping rod, which is 8'6
belts 85- 110 gram perfect, but I only run a Stella 8000, so a bigger size reel might b
Overkill on this rod, this setup is defiantly overkill for blues and spanairds though, so have jumped
Down to a 3500 certate which is perfect and good fun, cheers hope this helps

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 16, 2012, 09:22:34 AM
I'm curious to know why most everyone is using such short rods from the shoreline, is distance not an issue at the spots you guys fish?

John Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 21, 2012, 02:33:25 PM
Not all the time Nathan.
While yes a longer rod is an advantage when trying to maneuver a hooked fish around the rocks and does offer more distance, a lot if the time fish can be reached within a 50m cast of the rocks. also, the shorter rod allow the angler to control a tired fish at their feet better, especially when you need to hold one close to the rocks for a gaff shot in challenging conditions.
Also, its often possible to sight cast at passing fish, and a shorter rod allows quicker and more accurate casts.
A lot of it comes down to location and terrain. There are 2 spots i fish that lend themselves to different rods. one is a very gently sloping ledge that is usually reasonably protected. this requires a longer rod to clear lures and line around rocks as you have to stand well away from the edge. the other spot is exposed and rough, and you can stand close to the edge but you are high up. the shorter rod is better here as it allows the angler to hold a fish still long enough for a gaff shot in the usually heavy wash.

Troy Marien

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 22, 2012, 10:19:20 AM
G'day man, I also the oti tuna sniper 40-60 long cast popping rod, which is 8'6
belts 85- 110 gram perfect, but I only run a Stella 8000, so a bigger size reel might b
Overkill on this rod, this setup is defiantly overkill for blues and spanairds though, so have jumped
Down to a 3500 certate which is perfect and good fun, cheers hope this helps

I think I may have changed my mind slightly. I have a 16k spool on the way for my 8k SW. So I might lean towards that reel as opposed to my 18k. Purely for the ease of casting. The 18k is paired with an 802XH Demon Blood so I may just leave those 2 together to cast a Pencil or Stickbait. And pair the 16k with a new rod.

Any idea where I can get one if these OTIs at a good price?

John Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 23, 2012, 08:25:29 PM
An 8'6" 40/60 tuna sniper would be good. a mate has one of these and its a great shore based spin rod. however i just searched around (not thoroughly I'll admit) but nobody seems to have them available as they have revamped their range and it appears the 8'6" 40/60 has been dropped from the lineup.
Tenryu spike tuna maybe? They do a longer rod from memory that might be worth looking at. About $500ish plus whatever post is worth from os.

John Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 23, 2012, 08:26:58 PM
Oti still have 8' blanks available but you've already got that covered.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 24, 2012, 09:37:58 AM
Troy,

Check out the Tenryu range.

I have an 8'6 which is very nice to use.

Will send you a text  on where I purhcased mine.

Pete

Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 11, 2012, 04:11:43 PM
I would like to confirm   Peter's suggestion: I own the model SK862H-80, a light and powerful tuna rod, well balanced already with a shimano reel 10k (no so bad with 18-20k). The rod is given as PE 4-8 with a cw 150 gr, I think it's a rod PE 6 that can work in a real range between 40 and 120 g (stick baits, swim baits). For poppers I used it with a Heru Tuna 80 without problems. The rod has parabolic action, typical of tuna rods