Ralph Holland

rec. casting weight vs. real casting weight
September 18, 2012, 08:23:32 AM
Hi,

I was testing my light lure rod yesterday (TBL80-20) and I ended with throwing gamma's 140. They reached distances of around 50m with PE5 GT Max on a SOM 16000 spool and 5m 100lbs leader. I know this is a -100 gram rod, but it was just comfortable and I didn't feel any limitations.

Question: Is this like playing with fire? I love my TBL80-20 and don't want to abuse it. Or is the recommended lure weight relative and very specific for JDM rods and their action.

I want to use this rod for fishing on BFT (up to 60lbs) in Spain and if above is not damaging the rod, then I have the perfect rod for this purpose with a lure range from 40 up to 140 grams.

I like to hear your opinion and sorry about my english.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: rec. casting weight vs. real casting weight
September 18, 2012, 03:00:02 PM
If I remember correctly, the TBL80/20 is a PE3-4 rod, maximum casting weight of 100g.  To go with PE5 and a Gamma is overloading the rod. To go beyond the specs of any rod is playing with fire as you are going beyond what the manufacturer is recommending you should use.

PE5 is probably useable if you are very good with your rod angles but to go some 50% beyond the casting weight limit is going too far, in my opinion.

I'd suggest you come back to PE4 and focus on lures in the 80g range.
If it swims; I want to catch it!