Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PE 8 Rod
July 08, 2012, 10:04:19 PM
I own the 77XH.

One of the determining factors for me was that I am also short and stocky (wish I weighed 75 kilos though) and I found that the Hot's had a much shorter reach to the top grip than a lot of rods I tried.

I can think of nothing worse than being connected to something that wants to pull you overboard and you can't get any leverage on the rod because you're stretching to reach the grip!

Regards,

Trevor

Saikat Barik

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 17, 2012, 06:17:09 PM
I was decided upon this rod: Yamaga Blanks Atlas GT 76/8...
Then another model came up in the website: Yamaga Blanks Blue Reef 78/8...
Comparatively this been a newer rod...there's few review on the net,
Have anyone used this rod personally?

Please give me a review...

Saiki

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 17, 2012, 06:57:13 PM
Saikat.. can't give you review as such, but the Blue Reefs are quite soft tipped and primarily designed for stickbaits I believe.

If you want an all round rod, the the Atlas would probably be a better bet.

Saikat Barik

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 18, 2012, 04:26:22 AM
Thanks Mark,
I'd stick to the atlas :-)

Saiki

Saikat Barik

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 04, 2012, 06:12:12 PM
Got another problem guys...
I got a Stella 18000HG JDM to match this rod,
Somehow this ain't working...
Rod seems ok with my Twinpower 12000HG JDM...

Should I match this rod that way with TP and buy another rod to stella?
Stella seems overkill for this rod...balance is not good :(

Please help me guys...

Saiki

Saikat Barik

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 05, 2012, 02:04:55 AM
Please help

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 05, 2012, 08:19:51 AM
Hi Saikat  :),

Try the HOTS Gipang 79XH model with your Stella. I feel it's a good all rounder for poppers and stick baits and balanced with PE 8 is comfortable to use and good backbone to fight with, well this is my few times in use anyway.

Poppers and stickbaits that you mentioned earlier say 110-130 grams to max 180 grams should be O.K.......but depends also if distance casting is also your main aim or just working weights comfortably and distance casting isn't the aim.

Other much more experienced forum members could elaborate on performance of the 79XH model.......with experiences in poppers and/or stickbaits weight working.

Hope I haven't confused your situation Saikat.

Regards

Leo  :)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2012, 10:48:33 AM
Saikat - not sure why you feel the SW18000 does not balance with an Atlas 76/8?  It should be fine.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 05, 2012, 01:31:11 PM
I think I know what Saikat means.

Perhaps he can correct me if I'm wrong, he may have a lot more experience than I have with this type of equipment.

I have a very similar set up...a Hots 77XH and an SW18000. I think the feeling that the reel outpowers the rod comes from the fact that these rods are light and don't look substantial enough to be able to withstand 100lb line (in fact having held both the Hot's is even lighter than the Atlas). Not so long ago a rod the dimensions of my Hot's would have been a 30-40lb rod.

I think that it all comes together when you use the rod and reel together on the water. I have yet to get connected to a big GT and my casting abilities are flatteringly described as improving but some of the very experineced guys I go to for advice tell me its all good. In fact, one of them borrowed my rod last weekend when we were fishing to have a feel of it and launched a 150g popper a country mile. I'm sure that when it comes to fighting a fish the fact that the reel is overengineered is a good thing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor   

Saikat Barik

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 05, 2012, 05:02:47 PM
Right on spot Trevor...

Mark rod weighs so light...:(

I use Varivas pe8...Stella with this big spool, somehow asking for a heavier rod,

Well may be that's my guess only...

Saiki

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 05, 2012, 05:44:53 PM
Hmmmm. The Atlas 76.8 is a fairly stiff genuine PE8 rod, admittedly light in weight.  I think the pairing with a SW18000 is fine.

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 15, 2012, 05:44:47 PM
I have my Atlas Set up with SW 20 000. Works fine I don't notis that it's out of Balance
Hunt Smart Fish Hard