Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Oman Air info for S. Oman trips
November 11, 2012, 12:01:24 AM
Hi guys,

I will be making a few trips to Southern Oman chasing GT's this year. I called Oman Air to get info on baggage regulations and below is what I was told over the phone.

Below is what they said we could take on the plane along with additional charges for extra baggage.

Business Class:

1 checked bag up to 40 Kgs and 1 hand bag (Carry on) up to 7 Kgs. You can also take 1 bag the size of a laptop or camera bag as carry on.

So basically 1 checked and 2 carry on.

Extra bags are on a pay basis of 18 dirhams or approx. $5 per kilo

Economy Class

1 checked bag up to 30 Kgs and 1 hand bag (Carry on) up to 7 Kgs. You can also take 1 bag the size of a laptop or camera bag as carry on.

So basically 1 checked and 2 carry on.

Extra bags are on a pay basis of 18 dirhams or approx. $5 per kilo

Best to place any fishing line in checked bags. They stated that it was up to security at the gate if they would allow it on the plane as hand baggage.

Fishing rod cases are ok but are considered a checked bag or extra bag if you have a checked bag.

Hope this helps with any questions,

Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Oman Air info for S. Oman trips
November 11, 2012, 03:40:55 AM
so can i correctly say that in the event of the below scenario:

I hand carry a 7kg load, 20 checked in bag and a rod tube of 10kg. I would need to pay for the rod tube of 10kg ?

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 11, 2012, 12:23:16 PM
Charlie,
With 1 hand carry at 7kg load, 20kg checked in bag and 10kg rod tube you should plan on paying for the 10kg rod tube. If checked baggage space is avaliable and there are few passangers on the plane then they might combine the 20kg bag and 10kg rod tube and not charge you but I would not count on it. 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 11, 2012, 12:42:11 PM
Hi Charlie

I have done 8 flights with Oman Air this year and have always had two check in bags (one holdall, one Carmate rod case), totaling 27 to 29 kgs. On all 8 occasions, they have accepted the two bags combined as within the 30 kg allowance and not seemed concerned that it was two bags rather than one.

Hand luggage was a Shimano deck bag with 6 reel bodies in it, spools in the check in luggage.

I hope that helps a bit.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 11, 2012, 01:47:10 PM
I traveled Oman air less than a week ago with three check in bags (clothes bag, tackle bag and carmate) with a combined weight around 31kg and two carry on bags (pelican case and large backpack) and never had a problem. Same goes for Emirates. The middle eastern airlines are the BEST I've ever travelled for fishing trips.

Also the security guys in Oman are catching on with the fishing travel, had all my reels on carry on (without spools) and they just asked if they were fishing reels and we passed through without needing our bags inspected.
Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:49:44 PM by Jay Burgess

Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 11, 2012, 03:36:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Just goes to show you cant always go by what you are told in this country.

Charlie Chew

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 11, 2012, 10:49:32 PM
Hi Charlie

I have done 8 flights with Oman Air this year and have always had two check in bags (one holdall, one Carmate rod case), totaling 27 to 29 kgs. On all 8 occasions, they have accepted the two bags combined as within the 30 kg allowance and not seemed concerned that it was two bags rather than one.

Hand luggage was a Shimano deck bag with 6 reel bodies in it, spools in the check in luggage.

I hope that helps a bit.
Hi Mark and Ben

Information given very useful !