Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Assist cord
January 28, 2008, 11:04:58 AM
Can someone please tell me why it is that when you're using Dyneema that you're supposed to remove the inner core of the cord? I mean, it is a lot easier working with it when you remove it otherwise it is too stiff but what is the purpose of the inner core?

Also, if anyone has any tips (links etc) for tying your own assist hooks, please advise. I've only just started doing this more for the hell of learning than anything else. The pre-tied Shout and Owners do the job pretty well for me.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Assist cord
January 28, 2008, 11:26:38 AM
I think the inner core is prob there for manufacturing purposes only.
For rigging I use a simple half hitch :o. Pass assist through the eye of hook ,then tie half hitch back on to tag, I then repeat with other end of assist to leave a loop of required length. Note , do your half hitches one left hand & one right hand so the tags come together on hook eye. Melt tags together then attach solid ring. I also use heat shrink to cover hook eye & bot half of ring. This keeps the hook alligned with the ring & imo reduces hangups on lure .
Chris

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2008, 12:00:18 PM
I use the inner core for smaller assists for reef species etc, and sometimes leave it in for a stiffer assist as I can't see any detrimental effect.

Article care of Hal.

http://www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=110&osCsid=7a09f2e1f767d500912e7c99e8f56b03

A slightly different version [never tried it myself] is to use once through the loop, a dab of superglue, then heat-shrink.
Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:08:09 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2008, 04:16:42 PM
thanks guys

Bun - that's the way I do it at the moment. I don't know any other way!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 28, 2008, 05:26:37 PM
Man that sure looks easier than the way I do it  :o
When I started making my own I had no idea it could be so easy, Ilooked at commercially made rigs & noticed the assist cord was covering hook shank & then bound (whip finished) to hook. I started to do it MY WAY cos it seemed to make sence to keep the gape of the hook as open as possible. I must add I have never had 1 fail .
Chris

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 28, 2008, 07:14:42 PM
It is, very easy,  ;D I use a bit of heat shrink on the longer ones for jigging.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 06, 2008, 01:51:55 PM
hey guys, what would be the best knot for terminating single strand dyneema at the hook end? I want to try running twin assists on jigs, but using the doubled over method makes the assists too busy and clunky at the terminal end. So I'm going to needle thread an end loop in the single strand, loop that onto my solid ring, and then hopefully tie onto the hook shank with the free end. Anyone tried it. If so what knot, how many turns etc