Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
loosing 1 leg of twisted leader
March 16, 2008, 08:56:28 PM
What happens when  one leg of a twisted leader wears thru. Does the remaining leg of the twisty hold together or does the doubled braid to twistie knot pull thru?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: loosing 1 leg of twisted leader
March 16, 2008, 09:11:19 PM
I've seen a photo of a GT landed on one strand of a twisted leader so I'm assuming it should hold together in most cases.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2008, 10:54:54 PM
I've had two occasions now where I've had a single leg hold. After a few cast, I think you will find that the bimimi to twisted leader connection pulls up tight and it really locks down. I've also had a  twisted leader have one strand wear through but it still all held together.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 18, 2008, 06:00:22 PM
This might be a bit beginner-ish but isn't that the whole idea of a twisted leader??

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2008, 09:35:16 PM
Actually no. The primary objective of a twisted leader is as a smooth braid/leader connection that casts smoothly

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 19, 2008, 09:58:36 PM
Brandon,
In your experience, what tends to have better abraision properties; a twisty made from say 100lb or a 200lb single leader?
AWP

Actually no. The primary objective of a twisted leader is as a smooth braid/leader connection that casts smoothly

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 19, 2008, 10:14:40 PM
Really good question, Andrew. To be perfectly honest, I don't know for sure. I can only give an opinion I can't support with any empirical evidence. My personal view is the twisted leader is more abrasion resistent but that is influenced quite heavily by the fact that I use Penn 10X for twisties and either YGK Gailis or Varivas leader in 200lb single strand.

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 20, 2008, 09:03:53 AM
that was my 'guess' if for no other reason than the increased diameter of 'doubled' 100lb over single 200lb.  In general, properties of the differing brands aside, diameter is the key to abraision resistance.

Really good question, Andrew. To be perfectly honest, I don't know for sure. I can only give an opinion I can't support with any empirical evidence. My personal view is the twisted leader is more abrasion resistent but that is influenced quite heavily by the fact that I use Penn 10X for twisties and either YGK Gailis or Varivas leader in 200lb single strand.

Sam Beeby

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 20, 2008, 03:18:38 PM
Yeah that was why I asked in the first place. I want to go as light as I can go on the leaders because I'm casting unweighted sluggo's land based off the rocks for kingies. I'm using nothing like GT gear ie only 50lb ande leader twisties or single FG knotted 80lb/100lb. I find that the twisties cast better but under tension straight over rock I've always wondered if a twistie was only  as abrasion resistant as one of its strands (rather than both) and therefore way undergunned compared to a single 80lb. Anyway, thanks for that guys.