Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Random reel tips....
October 28, 2012, 01:25:56 AM
Hi All,

A quick tip that maybe useful for those who have a Twin Power 8000/10000. This particular model and size uses the same rotor nut as the Stella 8000/10000, what this means is that you can add a bearing (size, 5 x 11 x 4) into the rotor nut (as per the Stella) - The standard Twin Power ships without a bearing.

This provides additional support to the main shaft (floating shaft). It is actually a functional improvement in that the shaft is now supported just under the spool.  :)

I recently had a 10000 with a slightly bent shaft (difficult to remove the pinion gear). In this case the additional bearing may have assisted...

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 28, 2012, 10:07:46 AM
Thanks Clem!
I have a TP 12000 - will check out the extra bearing space ...

Steve Li

October 29, 2012, 12:47:42 PM
Hi Clem

Always could learn something new from your posts!

Just wondering have you stripped the mag seal Saltigas before? Daiwa had just launched the 6500 model Catalina and would really like to know how they compare (internal gears). Catalina has got Hyper Digigear which is whats in the Saltigas. Wondering if its really exactly the same engine and everything. Thanks!

Steve

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2012, 04:39:07 PM
Hi Steve,

I havent stripped the new Magseal but I have worked on many Saltiga's/Dogfights...

One of the main points of difference is the way the Oscillation works; Daiwa use a geared system (also in the new Catalina) - which is similar to the system used in the Saragosa.

Pic below of a Dogfight internals

The Oscillation slide is supported by 2 bearings, one at the top and one at the bottom as shown by the white circle, the gear turns when the handle is turned causing the spool to move up and down via the oscillation slide. When the spool is under load (drag engaged) the shaft is trying to turn clockwise (looking from the front)...the load is basically transferred to that bottom bearing in the white circle - the top bearing at that time has no load and becomes almost redundant.

In the case of the Saragosa I have seen where the combination of load/tolerance has caused scoring on the oscillation gear or scoring on the lip where the bearing runs (not all reels, maybe 3 or 4 over the last year)

If you take a look at the Stella design it uses a slide system supported by 2 rails

Just my opinion only, but I believe this offers better support due to the design, when you take the same scenario (drag engaged) the load is supported at both the top and bottom...

In regard to the other design features...digigear etc is all well proven and should be even better in the latest designs

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 30, 2012, 12:44:11 AM
Thanks Clem!
That last pic - would that be typically how much you would lube a Stella SW internals?

Any views on Lithium based grease?

Thanks!
Alex

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 30, 2012, 01:26:37 AM
Hi Alex

That is typical of what I would put in a Stella when reassembling, I just try to ensure that all the parts have been coated...obviously the parts will push out any excess in the gears etc. I tend to use a light grease for the spinners (Assy grease or Boca etc Lithium based) and a heavier grease for conventional reels (Yamalube or alike - lithium based also).

Some use Cal's throughout...

Steve Li

October 30, 2012, 01:36:19 PM
Thanks again Clem!

Looking forward to you getting your hands on a mag seal Daiwa and taking it apart. Do you reckon Daiwa have made any changes in the gear system to the new models?

Steve

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 30, 2012, 02:07:36 PM
Steve..  I think some of your questions will be answered in Alan Hawk's Saltiga 2010 review here: http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/salt10.html .

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 30, 2012, 06:13:14 PM
Thanks Clem - got some MTB grease and oil coming which should fit the bill!

On a side note I have just requested two new roller kits from Shimano Felindre UK as my Stella one was looking suspect ... Think both kits are coming foc ...

Steve Li

October 31, 2012, 03:56:59 PM
Steve..  I think some of your questions will be answered in Alan Hawk's Saltiga 2010 review here: http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/salt10.html .

Thanks for the link Mark! But I have read that review a couple of times at least (who hasn't really???).

My main queries were about comparing the Catalina with the Saltiga and whether the Catalina has the exact same gears & quality parts as the Saltiga. I don't want to just rely on what the brochure or advertising says.  ;) 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 31, 2012, 04:06:46 PM
I would suggest it is unlikely that a Catalina has the exactly same quality parts as a Saltiga.  That would not really make sense as the Catalina costs a less.

I did note on the one I looked at in a shop that it had an apparently welded two piece bail arm for example.

Steve Li

October 31, 2012, 04:57:26 PM
I would suggest it is unlikely that a Catalina has the exactly same quality parts as a Saltiga.  That would not really make sense as the Catalina costs a less.

I did note on the one I looked at in a shop that it had an apparently welded two piece bail arm for example.

Hey Mark, forgot to mention that I do own the new Catalinas as well as the Saltigas. Aside from the major difference in the aesthetics, the other differences I can tell are handle and side cap (without the frills), handle knob (EVA), 2pc bail arm, plastic rear guard, plastic bushing used in the roller, spool lacking a bearing. Am more curious to know about the internals and whether Daiwa had imported the Saltiga engine wholesale into the Catalinas. The Catalina has the "hyper Digigear" and stainless steel pinion which is what's in the Saltigas. But not sure about the bearings and other parts that make up the entire engine. Gotta blame the tackle shop here that stirred up my curiosity when they mentioned that some internal parts may be different between the two!!!

As I have no experience in opening up a Mag Seal reel and don't feel confident in doing so, I wanna leave it to people who are more qualified to do it!   ;D

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 31, 2012, 05:59:15 PM
Hi Steve,

Sorry I don't know a lot about the Daiwa's as most of my gear and the servicing I do is primarily on Shimano's...

One thing I often look at is the schematics, often companies will share parts (usually non critical parts) across the range or part of the range. In regard to Daiwa and as an example, the pinion gear on the Saltist Z6500 is the same as the Saltiga S (part # 6G383501)

Shimano do it with a number of parts...Rotor nut is a prime example (from memory part # 12510) on the 10000 size reels is shared on the Stella's and the Twin Power. They just ship the Twin Power without a bearing in the nut...The rails used on the oscillation assy are often transferrable..

Even if the part #'s don't match they can be the physically the same...a bit of trial and error.

Some reel designs allow easy upgrades - from bushes to bearings etc.. however some do not and take a lot more work.

As you would expec,t the best parts are usually reserved for the high end models only.  :)

Stuart Kelly

November 04, 2012, 05:10:43 PM
Great post This will come in handy!!