Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi All  :),

I've been thinking about this recently with my preparation with my increased interest in doing some stickbaiting/popping around Sydney from shore and boat. Rods are between 7'9 to 8'3 in length. Weight in lures are between 60g - 130g with 50lb - 80lb leaders.

I've got a 6000 Daiwa Saltiga spooled with fairly new Jigman PE 8 coloured jigging braid that I use when jigging and still in pretty good condition, with also a 4500 Daiwa Saltiga with also fairly new Jigman PE 5 coloured braid.

Now, does really the more recognised GT popping/casting braids like Varinas, Jerry Brown etc have more durability properties, reliability with repetative casting/retrieving with friction, ware and tare going through rod guides in and out better than the jigging braid with it's recognised application and properties. 

If I get more use out of the Jigman jigging braid used for casting that would be nice but if the advantages of the GT casting braids are evident and clear, well I'll change over now for the stickbaiting/popping up coming use.

Very interested in peoples experience/thoughts in assisting me with a clearer path to take.

Regards  :)

Leo     

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Leo

YGK make both Jigman and Castman Braid in a couple of different qualities.  The only difference between the jigging and casting versions is the colour of the line markings on the line nothing else!

If there is any greater wear and tear properties to 'casting' lines in other brands - I would be keen to hear about it!  I would suspect the qualities which make a better casting line, have more to do with suppleness and the thickness to strength ratio - rather than wear and tear resistance.

John Ryan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I've often wondered the same thing... what are the real differences between a "jigging" and "casting" braid. I've used jigman X4 and X8 for casting purposes before with no issued

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thank you Peter and John for taking the time in giving your views on my query.......much appreciated  :).

We'll, no so called branded casting PE line then.....I'll be utilising my never used PE5 , 6 & 8 YGK jig man x8 as my popping/stickbaiting use with confidence.

Regards

Leo