Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Camera
September 21, 2012, 08:01:09 AM
Like minds Nick! just got the remote!!!

may be able to shoot the same stuff from different angles - could be fun!

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 21, 2012, 07:08:08 PM
Nick and Alex,

Thanks very much.

It'll be comforting to know that you guys will have captured every missed strike, bail arm snap, wind knot, rod bucket miss, tangle, fluffed cast, fall and swear word for the whole trip in glorious techni-colour and stereophonic sound.

Do these devices float?

Regards,

Trevor   

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 23, 2012, 01:15:54 PM
Hi Jay, totally agree! Not enough fishing, have to find something else to do!! I have thought about a 24-85 type lens as the problem I have is I usually take my camera with the 10-20mm lens in a dry bag if we are not on one of the big boats and it restricts what i shoot big time. If anything is outside the boat unless it is a great big mountain ends up being a spot in the picture. Interested to see how you go!

Hi Alex, Trevor! Looks like we are set for the trip with cameras! I'll be happy to put a bloopers reel together............I'm going to tie my camera to the boat, Trevor so you can't shot putt it into the water! Going to be fun!

Cheers,
Nick

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 23, 2012, 02:25:31 PM
Hi Jay, totally agree! Not enough fishing, have to find something else to do!! I have thought about a 24-85 type lens as the problem I have is I usually take my camera with the 10-20mm lens in a dry bag if we are not on one of the big boats and it restricts what i shoot big time. If anything is outside the boat unless it is a great big mountain ends up being a spot in the picture. Interested to see how you go!

Hi Nick... the Nikon D600 has a full frame sensor. If you're chasing a lens with a similar field of view you might want to take a look at the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 for your 50D which I've heard great things about. The 24-85 lenses are usually designed for FX camera bodies. I've heard people say that the 10-22mm can be quite restrictive and are often in situations where they'd like a bit more reach.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 23, 2012, 10:57:24 PM
Shot Jay, I had a look at the 17-55m lens you suggested, awesome and fits the requirement! But it is a pricey little bugga! Going to give it a good think over for the upcoming trips. Got to weigh up more lures against new lens!

Cheers,
Nick

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 24, 2012, 11:18:13 AM
Shot Jay, I had a look at the 17-55m lens you suggested, awesome and fits the requirement! But it is a pricey little bugga! Going to give it a good think over for the upcoming trips. Got to weigh up more lures against new lens!

Cheers,
Nick

My lure collection has reached saturation at the moment so it's camera gear from now on unless I have some serious lure losses  ;D

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
September 24, 2012, 03:42:34 PM

Cheers,
Nick

Hey Nick, I run a 17-55 F2.8 Nikon lens (amongst a couple of others) on my Nikon D300 - which is a DX sensor like your Canon.  Whilst it is a fantastic lens (and well worth the asking price), I find that it is often not wide enough for close ups on a small boat.  You might be lucky enough to get back from the action a little further on your boat, but I often find myself wishing I had my 11-16mm on the body when a fish comes over the side!

I know its a pain, but now (when space permits) I carry two bodies (A D7000 as well), with each lens fitted. 

The optimum on the compact sensor for boat work is probably the 10-50mm range (as you have already indicated) but you're not going to get that in one lens (at least one that doesn't give a heap of distortion at both ends of the spectrum). 

I tried the 18-200 VRII lens for a while, which gives great range, but a heap of distortion (fisheye) at the wide angle setting - I note, some guys like that, and is too slow at the telephoto end.

Mmmmmm, life is such a compromise hey!

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 24, 2012, 04:52:55 PM
Hi,

This 17-55/2.8 is a superb lens for anyone who needs a big, fast, tough midrange zoom for DX.
I use, the all-plastic 18-55mm VR does the same thing for much less money on my D90/D7000/D70s.

May i suggest for those who's looking for a wide angle (not fish-eye) for Nikon APS-C DX camera, Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G DX ED or Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II are good choice.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-55mm-vr.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/10-24mm.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm-ii.htm

juz my 2 cents
izhan