Antonino Augugliaro

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tackle Bags
September 12, 2012, 04:23:43 PM
I use with satisfaction HPA Companion 35. I bought the bag together a very useful accessory, the padding photo integral. When traveling I use it as hand luggage. The soft partition (padding photo integral) allows me to safely transport reels, cameras and everythings that I don't want to send in the hold.  During fishing session, is a great waterproof bag that allows me to carry everything I need. It is built with durable and quality materials.
The link below shows the bag in object, better than my poor english:

http://www.hpa.fr/spray-line-companion35.php

My bag has two comfortable side pockets, not shown in photo

Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:25:35 PM by Antonino Augugliaro

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 12, 2012, 04:25:45 PM
Had my eye on the Tatonka range of duffle and travel bags. Nice gear, even do the wheeled carry on trolley for those in the Qantas club...
http://www.wildearth.com.au/tatonka-wheeled-small-carryon-barrel-roller-p-2158.html
http://www.wildearth.com.au/tatonka-small-waterproof-barrel-backpack-p-1252.html

Also Navy diver bags (duffle) are pretty hardcore, but huge. Used to have one as kit back then.

Cheers David

andy cooper

September 12, 2012, 07:09:31 PM

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 12, 2012, 07:44:08 PM
Purpose built 'tackle' bags I've found haven't been too convenient as I usually can't fit them in my main traveling bag and I don't really want to check in another piece of luggage. I've been keen to try out water proof backpacks designed for kayaking (like Malcolm mentioned) and this would be convenient as it would double as my carry-on for the trip over, and then I'd use it for a day bag when I head out fishing.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
September 12, 2012, 07:58:15 PM
I've taken this Rovex bag on my last 3 international popping trips and it has worked a treat.

It will swallow 3-5 of the big Plano boxes (which is what I carry most of my gear in these days) as well as a couple of reels, heaps of jigs, leader, pliers etc. etc in a range of pockets around the outside and the sub floor.

So far it has proven waterproof, but it hasn't been floating around the cockpit in a foot of water yet!  It has a solid plastic base with an upstand which stands about 3 inches high - keeping it dry in shallow standing water.  It gets left on the deck of the boat out in the rain for a week and doesn't let in any water.

And it has worked out well for general packing to travel.  These days I fill it with all the heavy and spikey gear (17kg) lock the zips with a pad lock and check it with my rod tube.  All my clothes go into the hand luggage - everything else is in the Rovex.  When I get to the destination, remove all the reels and rig my rods, leaving the rovex as a comfortable day pack with all my fishing gear.....simple!

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 12, 2012, 08:01:16 PM
Has anyone tried a hardcase? like a Storm or SKB - (foam inserts - waterproof)...not so much for the boat but for international travel etc?

http://www.caseclub.com/waterproof-cases.htm

They are not cheap or light for that matter but would surely offer the best protection....the value of gear starts to add up once you have a few reels?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 12, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
Peter,

The Rovex won't hold a candle to a wash deck.

The Shimano Baner bag has been the benchmark for many years and even that soaks through with a similar bottom.

A waterproof bag needs nil or lasered/heat sealed seams and a roll-up entry point.

The great thing about duffels is that they roll or flatten into a fraction of the size. I'll take some pics of my duffels for my trip coming up and how I prepare for a "wet" trip.

Luke

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 12, 2012, 08:28:58 PM
Has anyone tried a hardcase? like a Storm or SKB - (foam inserts - waterproof)...not so much for the boat but for international travel etc?

http://www.caseclub.com/waterproof-cases.htm

They are not cheap or light for that matter but would surely offer the best protection....the value of gear starts to add up once you have a few reels?

We use hardcase for more valuable items such as mobile phone , satellite phone , reels , etc. but they are heavy albeit those Made In China one isn't too steep when compared to Pelican brand . Nowaday even camera I use the waterproof one as they are pretty good for both jpeg n MP4 movie , so camera won't be inside the hardcase .

For clothings , I try to bring the " Titanium " type of shirts n long pant as they are quick drying type , I still use the duffle bag type as described above but wrap individual shirts n pants to avoid moisture which cause bad odour . So far so good .

Jon .

Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 08:32:41 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 02:18:37 PM
Hi Malcolm, sounds like you had a torrid time on the last trip with the bag, I could imagine the words been used and Brandon and the boyz having a chuckle! Nothing worse than getting back to base and everything is swimming!

Brandon the Totebag looks good will work well if you close it up, I get a bit lazy and tend to be in a rush and leave things open which has also bitten me on the ass a few times. I think the Totebag, Simms, Fisherman Tackle bag etc are all good for both traveling and fishing if you limited on space. The box style bags I think are a bit tougher to travel with unless you got a big trucker roller style check in luggage bag. For the next few trips I'm going to try and have the Shout Jigger Bag fit inside my check on luggage and then use the waterproof Hots/Simms Duffel Backpack as my carry on luggage so will take both on the boat, the box for tackle and the backpack for cameras, clothes, passports etc, so the box stays on the deck and the backpack is packed away in the console, cabin, captains seat etc? Hopefully best of both Worlds.

Hi Clem, I have tried traveling with both Pelican and more recently a cheaper version called Explorer. I used the carry on size with wheels, works fairly well but it limited the amount of gear that could be taken and became very heavy, but I think if you can pack to a minimum for a trip it will work very well and keep your gear the driest and safest out of all the options, but need to ask operators first if they allow hard case on their boats and also any chartered plane flights as I got turned down going to the Zambezi River a couple of years back. I still use the Explorer Case for taking extra lures and jigs to Southern Oman as it can be thrown around and also take a huge amount of weight with jigs and poppers. I'll bring it into the shop and show you if you keen.

This is turned out to be a great topic and something I discuss on a weekly basis with clients and our crew, very interesting to see what everyone uses and great ideas. Ben and Peter both posts look like good options and definitely going to check them out, like the Nomads Shimano "Box" simple and looks like it can possibly fold down??

Luke definitely keen to see the pics and will try and post what I'm using and clients using next couple of trips.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 03:14:42 PM
After the last post I was about to head for the shop and had a look around my office at home and realised I had a whole heap of bags, boxes etc lying around getting ready for heading to Southern Oman next week and a few other destinations. I realised 2 things 1) I need to tidy up my office and 2) I might have a bag fetish! But the way I think of it is that i have not found the perfect solution and also I use different bags for different things!

So here a few of the bags I use:

This is my main travel bag I use for taking clothes and all my gear. It is a Sage bag and has a hard zip open bottom section. This is a great bag and I have used it for about 3 years and done many trips. The bag has a an aliminum protection structure in the top "soft" part of the bag which is great. The bag also has a side storage section and two top zips for stoing smaller items and then a mesh sip section in the top of the main compartment. But the very big problem is that the bag weighs about 6kgs before you pack anything into the bag. So there is great protection but it is very heavy and I'm now looking for a lighter travel bag along the same lines. Unfortunately the one I wanted the Shout Roller bag has been taken out of production.

Clem this is the hard pelican style case I was refering to. This is a great piece of kit but quite bulking and sometimes difficult to use on the boat. But I think one of the best solutions if you can make it work. I use this case now for taking my extra lures and kit to Southern Oman when I'm going to be down there for extended periods. It is more a storage case now than anything. I orginally used it to take my reels when flying as I had foam inside and it protected them very well but then I started taking to many reels to fit....

This is my flavour of the month. The Shout Jigger Bag. It is a great bag and I manage to fit in most of my gear for the day. I have watered this thing down both at home and on the boat and has not leaked so far. I think for longer trips I'll try the Shout Expedition Bag next as it does get a bit small. The one issue is when you traveling by plane, do you take it on as hand luggage or check it in. Bit of a problem.

I have found the Shout Water Case is an great pieve of kit and very useful. I use it to take most of my lures and jigs for the day along with my Jigger Bag. So I normally put the "Box" over my shoulder and put all my gear including pliers, jacket, hooks, gloves etc inside and then the water case I put all the lures and jigs and then carry the water case in one hand a rods in the other. Nice and compact and have everything I need.

THis is the Shout Deck Bag which I use for my light spinning gear and if I'm going a short day trip and don;t need much gear or going on someone elses boat when I cannot take everything and the kitchen sink. I like this bag as there is foam protection inside and gives the bag rigidity so the zip does not really lie on the floor. But I have had some water come in through the zip, but not to much.

The Shimano Deck Bag was my favourite for quite a while but then I did a few trips where a lot of water came onto the deck and it leaked quite badly. I still use it a bit mainly as a second bag when I take the family for towels, extra gear etc. Very comfortable bag with great amount of storage for a smallish bag.

This is a great bit of basic kit. I keep my camera in this dry bag when I cannot take my whole camera bag. I normally take a hand towels and wrap the camera in the hand towel and put the camera inside the bag so there is a bit of cushioning plus also to use when I take out the camera to dry my hands and sometimes use the towel to cover the camera a bit when I'm taking pictures with wet gloves if I cannot get my gloves off in time with a fish on the boat etc. You can also attach the dry bag to any of your other cases and boxes for ease of carrying.

I have used this AFTCO bag for many years and works really well for mild weather trips, not 100% waterproof but a great splash proof bag with a good zip and top cover system that covers the zip totally. Mainly use this for smaller boats.

This is a present from my Mom after I was complaining when back in South Africa about bags and waterproof bags etc. She bought this for me to use as a duffel/Backpack that I can carry onto the plane and have heaps of storage space plus waterproof. the bag is made by North Face. I'm going to try it on the next trip but also looking maybe at the Simms backpack after taking a look at Lukes bag.

Well hope this helps a bit and gives a bit of an idea on a better solution for someone. If this is helpful at all, I'll put up a post next week before I leave for Southern Oman on how I pack everything ready for the trip?

Cheers,
Nick

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 03:17:29 PM
Well, Malcolm was expressive!! It was of course made worse by innocent statements like "Malcolm, your bag is leaking!"

Nick, the Shimano bag you are referring to does fold down and has proven to be very water resistant. A number of the Singaporeans seem to use that bag and it works well.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 03:28:13 PM
LOL Brandon! Nothing like a bit of ribbing on the trip! I can only image Malcolms frustration!! Definately will try out the Shimano Box, looks simple and functional especially that it folds down. Going to have more bags than my wife just now!

Cheers,
Nick

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 04:44:22 PM
I was actually going to ask if you have as many bags as your wife!

Don't feel too bad. My apartment is littered with failed experiments. The most waterproof ones I have are the hard boxes but they are mongrels to transport around.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 05:35:02 PM
http://www.sportube.com/pages/guide_cases.php?d=Hard+Case+Fly+Fishing+Rod+Cases
I have actually put an old broken bazooka tube inside it on one side and riveted it to the side of the Sportube. This very safely carries all necessary rods. In the other side of the tube I can quite comfortably carry all my lures, spools, reels and other bits of gear. It ends up weighing about 15 to 18kgs, well within airline limits, and the wheels on it make it easy to transport. Then my other checked bag, for the first time EVER, is never an issue with weight etc....
Seems to be working so far.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 05:56:32 PM
Malcolm, that is some very original and quite excellent information.

I too have wondered about ways of better utilising a rod tube, and then just have another small check-in piece with a few t shirts and shorts. 

Before I got into popping, I used to have old German-made ski case in which I stored surf/jigging/whatever rods in one side, and other gear on the opposite side. It finally fell to bits and I then bought a Carmate.  Although I have had no problems with the Carmate it has never struck me as particularly efficient nor sturdy piece of gear.

It sounds like you might have solved that problem with the Sport Tube.  I love the idea of riveting a second tube inside.
Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:09:22 PM by Mark Harris