Ben Lovelace

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tackle Bags
September 13, 2012, 06:25:24 PM
Malcom, I was planning on doing the same thing. I have a Sport Tube 2 in route and should arrive any day.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 09:37:41 PM

This is my flavour of the month. The Shout Jigger Bag. It is a great bag and I manage to fit in most of my gear for the day. I have watered this thing down both at home and on the boat and has not leaked so far. I think for longer trips I'll try the Shout Expedition Bag next as it does get a bit small. The one issue is when you traveling by plane, do you take it on as hand luggage or check it in. Bit of a problem.

I would love to have the Shout Jigger bag as a day bag on overseas popping trips... but this is precisely the dilemma I have. I really don't want to be checking in a fourth piece of luggage (main tackle bag, clothing bag, rod tube & day bag) as it's not big enough to replace my main tackle bag entirely and it's not practical to take on carry-on. A carry-on bag that doubles as a day bag during the trip is the best I can think of... just need to find something that's practical on the plane and waterproof enough for out on the boat.

I've been frustrated constantly by airlines which allow you two pieces of checked baggage but with a weight limit of 23kgs on each piece which is (for me) an issue when your rod tube weighs no more than 5-6 kgs and you need to keep the other piece to 23kgs.

That's quite generous Malcolm! Qantas only allows 1 piece at 23kgs! They've tried to sting me a $600-800 excess baggage bill on two separate NC trips. Flying to the middle east is a breeze by comparison...

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 13, 2012, 10:26:37 PM
I use Shimano Iso Cool Bag, 45L size http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/goods/2779
I use it as the main bag for luggage and as a deck bag as well. It is hard type with a solid plastic liner inside (not a seam!) and two covers. One cover is soft and it is closed by regular zipper, but the top cover is plastic with edges descending down around the walls of the bag. There is absolutely now way this bag can leak or get wet inside. I used in the expeditions, left on deck under heavy rains and with water ankle-deep. Never got wet inside (only side pockets can get wet, because they uave drain holes).

It has problems also:
It is kind of big as a deck bag for small boats. But if you share it with your friend, it is just the right size  :)
If you sit on it, you can damage its top plastic cover a little bit at the place it is fixed to wall straps. A small crack appears, but it does not spoils the bag's functionality much. And the plastic cover is replacable.
Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:28:17 PM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
September 14, 2012, 05:19:32 PM
Hi Brandon, I have to tell the wife that they are samples and I have to test out the bags and rods etc......otherwise the credit card would be maxed out big time!! But it is a bit of a worry when we have about the same number of bags! Plus the new Shimano box which I ordered yesterday! We moving next month and I think it is going to be time to ditch a lot of the failed experiments!

Hi Malcolm, The Sportstube is awesome and I have both Carmate and the smaller Sportstube. I can put in all my rods plus I wrap the rods with clothes and a few lures. I really like your idea of putting in another tube for the rods and then use for tackle, very clever. I think for weight with Emirates you can check in 2 items with a max of 30kgs total.

Hi Jay, Totally agree it is a bit of a mission with all the bags, also the problem is running around the airport with all the gear and then in some remote destination with no trollies or help is more stress than its worth. I have been taking everything in my main check in luggage and then take the Jigger bag as my carry on luggage. I then take only what I need for the day on the boat out of my main bag. Takes a bit of preparation and planning each day and has back fired a couple of times when i have been short of something or forgotten but generally seems to work! We almost need to have a fishing bag hiring service at each airport!!

Hi Dmitrii, Bag looks good and strong, can you sit on it properly with limited breakage? This might be a good option for seating and multi tasking with your bag?

Hi Ben, Give us a shout when you get your tube, keen to have a look, I tried one of the bigger sportstubes last year but only for rods, keen to have a relook!

Cheers,
Nick

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 14, 2012, 05:52:39 PM
Nick,

As you know, it's just so expensive shipping stuff in to try particularly when it's a big empty piece of rigid plastic, be it tackle box or rod carrier. Couriers really know how to charge for air!

Makes you think twice when it nearly doubles in price.

Regards,

Trevor

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 14, 2012, 09:46:18 PM
Hi Nick,
Shimano Iso Bag is very strong. We put 2 more same bags of about 25-30kg each on top of such a bag and it held ok without any deformation. And I saw our bags in the very bottom of aircraft luggage under load of all other passangers bags, and never had deformation issues. But I think it is not meant for siting on it. Yes, I used it for sitting, but not for long before the little crack on the plastic cover appeared. This breakage is little and "limited", just as you say, but I am afraid that if one uses it for sitting for comparatively long time the plastic top cover will suffer more and more and it will lose its waterproof ability and firmness. So, I would not count on it as a seat.

I use it as the check in luggage, and having arrived to the place, I do like as you are saying except for the only one different point - I LEAVE only what I need for the day in the bag and take it to the boat  :) I habe some empty space there, but it was never left unused by companions....  :)

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 14, 2012, 10:09:25 PM
As for rodcases, I used Carmate, Sportube 2, Bazuka, Nature Boys. If you are looking for safety, Nature Boys rodcase is, no doubt, the toughest of them. If you put it under the truck, it will hold! But it is heavy and not so spacious inside as it looks.

Sportibe 2 is very spacious. I used to put 11-12 rods inside and a lot of additional staff, packing this case up to about 20kg. But the walls of this rod case are thin and the rods inside are not defended in proper way I think. May be, this is because originally it was made for transportation of skis which are not so fragile like fishing rods. And it has one more problem. In case you pack it full with some other items besides rods and security decides to open it in your absence, it may be really a tragedy, because it takes some hard work and patience to put it all back, but they usually do not care much, but just hurry up and may break it or put in such an order that they will break later. So, the idea of Malcolm to put one more hard tube inside Sportube 2 and devide it into 2 sections - one for rods and one for other stuff is absolutely genious!

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 18, 2012, 07:18:08 AM
Just bought this for hand luggage / boat gear -

http://www.divingdirect.co.uk/kayak-fishing-c33/kayak-fishing-accessories-c42/hpa-motodry-48-dry-bag-p977

I sometimes use a long 75mm diameter tube with bubble wrap to load poppers and gear into inside my rod tube (Nature Boys)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2012, 02:54:07 PM
Just bought this for hand luggage / boat gear -

http://www.divingdirect.co.uk/kayak-fishing-c33/kayak-fishing-accessories-c42/hpa-motodry-48-dry-bag-p977

I sometimes use a long 75mm diameter tube with bubble wrap to load poppers and gear into inside my rod tube (Nature Boys)

This looks like it could be a good option!!

Brian J Richardson

September 24, 2012, 08:46:55 PM
Anybody tried the Shimano Tropical Tackle System?  Looks to be fairly waterproof.  Didn't see it mentioned in any of the posts.

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=6472

Brian J Richardson

September 25, 2012, 02:21:13 AM
I'm in the market for a bag so doing some research.  Here's one that would definitely be waterproof from tackledirect.  Also roll top duffel from westmarine.  Also from westmarine henri lloyd
Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:43:25 AM by Brian J Richardson

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 25, 2012, 07:27:53 AM
I'm going to pick up one of these in Perth before I go to Oman.

http://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/detail/tatonka-barrel-bag-backpack-53cm-small-black-t199/

Approved cabin size for Qantas domestic and International. Looks waterproof enough, and has backpack straps.

Will let everyone know how it goes.