Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Heavy Jigs vs Light Line
October 17, 2012, 06:45:01 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm a relative novice to jigging but I'm looking for some advice on a specific problem. I want to go for a 10KG line class record (Guinea Barracuda in West Africa) using a jigging outfit (the big ones seem to like jigs). I've sourced pretested braid (sunline castaway PE1.2) and I'm now trying to sort out the right rod for the job.

The locals have told me that they normally use 250 - 300gm jigs (I don't recall fishing much deeper than 30 metres so I guess they're using relatively heavy jigs because of the tide?). I plan on fishing jigs between 120 and 250gm. Target specimens will be 25kg and up (the all tackle record is 46kg). These fish don't fight particularly hard but the're scary buggers when they come up next to the boat.

I'm either going to go for an off the shelf Shimano Speedmaster 183MH rated for 85-200gms, a Jigwrex 178 rated for 100gms (these look like the only readily available jigging rods in the UK where I live) a JM Sabre rated 100gm or, from the sublime to the ridiculous, import a Synit Kaha (050 or 100) or Deepshot 150.

So, with a combination of PE1.2 and 150 - 200gm jigs, which rod should I go for? Or, to put it another way, is the line rating or the jig weight rating more important in this case?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

As an aside, my club in UK can test line and the Sunline Castaway came back as 19lb - 18lb - 19lb for the 10KG sample and 12lb - 12lb - 12lb for the 6KG. Pretty impressive!

Cheers

Dave

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Heavy Jigs vs Light Line
October 18, 2012, 07:21:52 AM
Hi Dave,
You are going to use very thin line for the mentioned jig weight. So, I think it is the line rating for the rod that should be the main criteria when choosing the rod. If you choose by jig weight, you can get a relatively stiff rod which will not bend and so will not take enough load off the line. This will lead you to the line break with less load in comparison to the case with bendy lighter rod.
The jig action will be a victim, but you have to compromise it to set a record, I think.
Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:23:37 AM by Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 18, 2012, 10:08:42 AM
Hi Dmitrii,

Thanks for info, makes a lot of sense. I've just got to track down a Synit in time for the trip now.

Cheers

Dave

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 18, 2012, 10:30:59 AM
It might be worth finding out if they are using jigs of that weight for the size/profile to match what the fish eat or if it is indeed due to the weight requirements only? I believe there are light weight jigs available that would be able to match the size and profile of the jigs the locals are using to catch these fish and would much better suit the line class you are attempting to catch them with?

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 18, 2012, 05:22:28 PM
I'm pretty sure it's to compensate for the tides. I know the Brit anglers have always had success with big jigs in more open water, whereas the French guys have mastered using much lighter jigs in rocky inshore areas. I'll be working big channels and more open water so I'm guessing I'll need the larger jigs. I think the 'cudas will expect a decent sized meal anyway  ;D.

I'll definitely take along some lighter high profile jigs though. Definitely worth trying during slack tide periods. What would you recommend?

Cheers

Dave

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 19, 2012, 07:34:15 PM
It looks as though the Synits wouldn't be available in the timeframe required. Can anyone recommend a good light jigger that fits the bill please? Been looking at the JM 3K UL and Evo Ti models.

Cheers

Dave