Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A while back we were contacted by some of the team of the Robson Green Extreme Fishing Show. We had a few chats as the show was coming to UAE and Oman. We gave our 2 cents worth about the fishing in this area and what to do and slowly a bit of a plan started forming. A few more weeks went by and we finally got a game plan together for Robson to fish the Musandam.

The plan was to do 2 competitions against our Omani Captain Hassan, one new western style fishing with rods, reels, poppers etc and then second to fish local tradition style with handlines. All was set and we decided the best approach would be to use a liveaboard dhow so we could stay up at the top of the Musandam plus enjoy the amazing sceneries the Musandam has to offer while relaxing in luxury!

I was not sure what to expect with Robson as I had watched quite a few of his shows and really enjoyed them but still I was not sure! We all met up in Dibba in the Fishing Port and straight from the beginning everyone got on very well and Robson is a great guy and loads of fun and to top that off he can really fish! I thought we would throw poppers around for a short while and then try something else but he fished the whole day in about 40 degree heat and did not miss a beat! We unfortunately did not catch any big GTs but we ended up getting a few GTs and having a chance at a decent sized fish that pulled the hooks.

I thought filming was easy, I was badly mistaken, it is a long process and a lot of bloody hard work! The team was great and worked hard but we also enjoyed relaxing on the dhow with a bit of swimming around Red Island and a few drinks in the evening with the sun going down over the mountains. Priceless!

I must say it is very difficult to stick to the script when you are targeting GTs and there are monster Longtail Tuna busting 100m away and we had to leave them in peace and quite! Very hard indeed...........But I must say we stuck to the plan and managed to get a few GTs out and so got the required shots to make a great show!

The last day Robson went in Hassans village to meet his grandmother and have some tea, then took Hassan on with handlines fishing for tuna. Quite a difference for fishing on Al Sayyad to fishing on a local fishing boat!

On the way back to base this afternoon Jon and I could not resist a few throws at some of the points and managed to get a nice queenie on jig and I caught a nice Geet on the 711MH with the Hots Pink Stickbait. A really awesome lure and swims like a demon!!

For more information you can check out Robsons website http://www.channel5.com/shows/extreme-fishing-with-robson-green or you can check out our Facebook www.facebook.com/oceanactive or follow us on Twitter on our trips around the globe https://twitter.com/OceanActive

Cheers,
Nick

Packing a few rods for the trip at our lodge GT House

Our house for the next few days, a 78ft Liveaboard Dhow

Leaving the port

Early the first morning, our 2 boats ready for action

Jon on the second support boat with the all important Golden Bears!!

Robson with a small emperor he caught! Must say he is a very funny guy and cracks some great comments!

Yellow Dhow moored on location at Red Island.

A lot of gear and crew!

Standard cheesy photo for the shop wall!

Our Omani Capt Hassan fished against Robson with poppers the one day and then next handlines, new and old styles.

Tuna blitz

Robson with one of the GTs he caught

Early second morning heading for the small local fishing village Sheesa to meet Hassans 93 year old Gran for tea

Al Sayyad 1 coming in at sunrise. This trip I had sometime to take pictures which was great fun!

Robson greeting the people.......

Our new captain LB ready for action

Rods and poppers ready for action.

Robson ready for action.

And action!

Al Sayyad beached in Sheesa village. There are no road here or mobile reception, very peaceful and relaxed!

Another shot

Robin the cameraman.

Robson and Hassan having a chat on the wall of the local graveyard.

Heading off to chase tuna with handlines

Yeeehhhhaaaaa here we go!

Ok where the tuna?

Casting at the tuna on handlines.

Jon in action on a jig and new MC Works jigging rod.

Jon with a nice queen caught on a Shout Slide Actor jig.

I finally got a shot to fish and hooked up to a nice GT on the Hots 711MH

Bending

GT coming to the boat. Caught the fish on a Hots Pink Keiko

Ahhhh happiness is!

Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:07:39 PM by Nick Bowles

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Robson is my hero!
Even my mother shakes her head when she is watching him fighting a fish  :'(
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Classic Brandon! He is definitely a good actor and puts on a bit of a show when he is fighting a fish or when the temperature is 40 degrees! Was a cool couple of days with him.

Cheers,
Nick

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Can't wait for the episode to air Nick!

Did the poncy jordy actor bust out a tune or two for the crew?  Almost as good as his casting!

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Peter he did bust out the odd tune in the strangest moments! Not sure which was better or worse casting or singing!! Should be a good episode! Will post when it is going to come out but think it is still a long way off!

Cheers,
Nick

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
The singing is something to avoid and it's a toss up for me which is worse..... that or his fishing techniques :) .

I am sure you had great fun though Nick and I will definitely watch out for the episode  8) .
Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 06:43:41 PM by Mark Harris

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Haha good ole Robson - did you get him any 500g jigs?

Will look forward to the show - possibly next year for us in the UK ... good to see you getting the exposure Nick :D

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Mark, I think the singing and fishing was on a par, if one was going badly he would try the other!! He was a good guy in the end which I was quite surprised!

Hi Alex, Unfortunately the show was only targeting GTs on popper, so I tried to get Robson to do some jigging with half a brick but the Producer cut me short! I think the show will be good and should do some good for fishing in Oman.

Cheers,
Nick

Brian J Richardson

Looking forward to seeing the show...I can imagine what he'll be saying.

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Not a fan of his show, but I guess you just can't judge a book by it's cover. Great trip report :)

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Great stuff, he certainly enjoys himself and that's what it's all about.

Cheers Dave